ADVERTISEMENT

When Are We Going to Stop Being Played for Fools and Treating Every Rumor as Truth

thedahc

Sophomore
Aug 3, 2006
With the latest revelation of Adou going to Arkansas and the prevailing "rumors" that he didn't like Cal, when are we going to stop treating rumor as fact. He clearly didn't have as big a problem with Cal as some said.

Not one of our UK media people that start these rumors saw Cal leaving to Arkansas. And then.....
Not one of our UK media guys who start these rumors knew Pope was the guy until it was announced.

If our local media guys can't get the BIG things right, why do we think they are plugged in enough on the small rumors.

Maybe, just maybe, all these small rumors are just made up for clicks. If the place the rumor comes from makes their money on clicks or listeners, maybe they are just throwing us red meat and taking us for fools.

His dad was pissed at Cal during the season as all the proof you need is on his own twitter. But money comes before pride I guess.

Do we know this though? Because now that I think back to it.. I feel like it was all rumor and hearsay, maybe some media person went with it. But was it ever proven true? I kind of just went with what everyone was saying here.

Do we know this though? Because now that I think back to it.. I feel like it was all rumor and hearsay, maybe some media person went with it. But was it ever proven true? I kind of just went with what everyone was saying here.
I saw the Tweets. Haven't checked his account since Adou left, but his dad made a few that were critical of how he was being used and how he should be getting more playing time than Cal's freshmen during the season.

That's why it is so puzzling that Adou ended up choosing to play for Cal again.

With the latest revelation of Adou going to Arkansas and the prevailing "rumors" that he didn't like Cal, when are we going to stop treating rumor as fact. He clearly didn't have as big a problem with Cal as some said.

Not one of our UK media people that start these rumors saw Cal leaving to Arkansas. And then.....
Not one of our UK media guys who start these rumors knew Pope was the guy until it was announced.

If our local media guys can't get the BIG things right, why do we think they are plugged in enough on the small rumors.

Maybe, just maybe, all these small rumors are just made up for clicks. If the place the rumor comes from makes their money on clicks or listeners, maybe they are just throwing us red meat and taking us for fools.

Snowboard Reaction GIF by Red Bull

Speculation is fine as long as folks keep in mind that it is guesswork rather than fact.

Why everyone has to be definitive about things they have zero insight about, I may never know.

Sometimes it seems more akin to seeing patterns in clouds than even guessing.

Reactions: thedahc
Speculation is fine as long as folks keep in mind that it is guesswork rather than fact.

Why everyone has to be definitive about things they have zero insight about, I may never know.

Sometimes it seems more akin to seeing patterns in clouds than even guessing.
Which is why it irritates me to see random posters try to bad mouth ever recruiting person. Things change and nobody is 100% correct because things change. Sometimes very rapidly for reasons we do not even know. I appreciate every scoop we can get whether it turns out to be right or not. Some folks just like to bitch and moan and try to tear down other folks. It is their nature and they are not happy unless they are bitching. Look at almost every post on this forum. Almost all of them get hijacked from folks wanting to name call or start arguments. Makes it almost impossible at times.

Like him or not, Matt Jones said way back when Tubby left and he and “Frosty Tips” were slinging mud at one another (the latter charging for “insider” recruiting info) that he’d never pay anyone for insider info. Ironically, KSR has their own pay site now. Nevertheless, the wisdom re paying for insider recruiting info still applies, imo.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I’ve felt similarly for a while, OP. Many in our fan base take rumors and possibly legit tidbits and create from them elaborate stories that match their negative conception of Cal. This, despite the fact that the truth is much simpler. Cal’s players love him because he is a player’s coach. He really does care about his players and they really do respect and care for him. I’m glad Cal left and I think it is for the better, but that doesn’t mean I have to think Cal was a horrible person and that everyone else agrees. And now some are doubling down and adding to the conspiracy that they really do have major issues with him, but they are just following Cal for the money. Some people just can’t let themselves believe that Cal has any redeeming qualities or that he’s not a huge asshole behind the scenes.

Last edited:
I’ve felt similarly for a while, OP. Many in our fan base take rumors and possibly legit tidbits and create from them elaborate stories that match their negative conception of Cal. This, despite the fact that the truth is much simpler. Cal’s players love him because he is a player’s coach. He really does care about his players and they really do respect and care for him. I’m glad Cal left and I think it is for the better, but that doesn’t mean I have to think Cal was a horrible person and that everyone else agrees. And now some are doubling down and adding to the conspiracy that they really do have major issues with him, but they are just following Cal for the money. Some people just can’t let themselves believe that Cal has any redeeming qualities or that he’s not a huge asshole behind the scenes.
The problem in my opinion is if there is one slightly negative rumor, it gets posted on here repeatedly, and then just becomes fact. People constantly say things like "it is common knowledge on here" with nothing to support it other than a bunch of people on this site saying it.

Because we're Cat's and curious by nature

Never? It's not unique to this board or fan base. Literally anything that gets put on X or spread online is 'well, reports say___" and it' the gospel.

What rumors? We literally saw dad's tweets lol. But putting 2 plus 2 together , Cal had to have told Thiero he can start at the 4. And take it to the bank because Cal values loyalty over all plus defense and thats why Z is going to be a backup.

Reactions: catben
It's weird all these guys supposedly didn't like him, then all of a sudden they are all too dumb to know what they're doing.

I think the reality is fans invent their own realities

We're going to stop being played for fools and treating every rumor as truth October 12, 2026. Didn't you see? It's in the discord.

We all know about the one about KSR when he said he was done with them after one of them said we she never have a lineup with Adou and another player who I forget on the floor but there is zero indication that his dad was pissed at Cal.

He doesn’t tweet that much. I went back to the start of the season and saw nothing.

Yet, everyone on here remembers tons of tweets criticizing Cal, because someone on here said he saw one, then 10 people repeated it, and it became fact.

There actually was an issue with his "camp" and Cal. It got resolved during the regular season but was very frustrating for the program. The fact he's going to play for Cal surprised a lot of people and I think Matt Jones is ****ing weird with his personal vendettas and insinuations with some of the things discussed Arkansas wise regarding payouts, etc... but being shocked if Adou would go to Arkansas-he was right to wonder about that one.

Not sure about anything being a fact or opinion but Z and Thiero playing for Calipari after last season, in my opinion, is one of the least intelligent choices I’ve seen from a player. Absolute lunacy!

Reactions: catben

Was Thiero going to Arkansas a big surprise to you? I'm confused. Also, who in UK media started a rumor about Thiero not liking Cal? Maybe I was under a rock or something. The only thing I read was that someone screwed up his NBA paperwork.

Anyway, it doesn't surprise me regarding Theiro, he probably would have wound up back at UK under Cal if he was here. I'd guess 10-15% of rumors on Internet are real.

LOL at the OP. I consider most rumors to be just that, baseless more often wrong than right rumors, put out there by people with an agenda (such as to get hits on their feed, or to show how ahead of others they are on the 20% they are correct about).

I think it is pretty clear. Thiero shopped himself around and wasn't offered what he thought he was worth. He clearly took his time and visited other places. But his mysterious "back issue" period smells a lot like Ralphdalton above says about his camp not being happy this past season. I wish the guy nothing but the best. But I definitely like what Pope has put together.

To misquote Shakspeare, " Doubt that the stars are fire, Doubt that the sun doth move, Doubt Truth to be a liar, But don't doubt a rumor."

Reactions: ukfan1622
His dad was pissed at Cal during the season as all the proof you need is on his own twitter. But money comes before pride I guess.
I'm not sure why some don't seem to understand this. A decision like this is made for one reason, and one reason only. $$$ He's getting his bag, or at least as big of a bag as he can get. It's disgusting. It's understandable. But it's also where we are at.

LOL at the OP. I consider most rumors to be just that, baseless more often wrong than right rumors, put out there by people with an agenda (such as to get hits on their feed, or to show how ahead of others they are on the 20% they are correct about).
Look at my post history, I've always said listening to these rumors is dumb and have pushed back on them including the "Arkansas is paying double" conspiracy theory.

The original post is a mockery of the sheep that believed the Thiero hates Cal crap and the rest of the conspiracy stuff.

That is kind of the point of this thread, shining a light on all the people on this site that have dabbled in the stupidity of:
-Bradshaw and Wagner won't play together
-Bradshaw is going to USC cause of Klutch
-Wagner was "shutting it down" after ankle injury
-Dillingham will never play here
-None of our 7 footers will play
-The list goes on and on

I'm not sure why some don't seem to understand this. A decision like this is made for one reason, and one reason only. $$$ He's getting his bag, or at least as big of a bag as he can get. It's disgusting. It's understandable. But it's also where we are at.
A couple of questions? And based on your post one of these has to be a yes answer from you.

Is that what you would do? For enough money you would send your kid to play for someone you don't like and think would misuse him?

If you wouldn't do that, do you just think you are better and more principled than the Thiero's as that is what you are accusing them of?

Was Thiero going to Arkansas a big surprise to you? I'm confused. Also, who in UK media started a rumor about Thiero not liking Cal? Maybe I was under a rock or something. The only thing I read was that someone screwed up his NBA paperwork.

Anyway, it doesn't surprise me regarding Theiro, he probably would have wound up back at UK under Cal if he was here. I'd guess 10-15% of rumors on Internet are real.
Nope I thought he was going to Arkansas all along (and state it in other threads). Just like Z.

I am making a point that this board as a whole takes rumor and conspiracy and runs with it. Especially if it fits their narrative (hate for Cal).

Reactions: HagginHall1999
A couple of questions? And based on your post one of these has to be a yes answer from you.

Is that what you would do? For enough money you would send your kid to play for someone you don't like and think would misuse him?

If you wouldn't do that, do you just think you are better and more principled than the Thiero's as that is what you are accusing them of?
We're missing facts, but I'll play along. Btw...I have ZERO problem with their decision. Lets base everything off the premise Arky offered a considerable amount more than others.

I'd let my son make the decision, but I certainly wouldn't stop him. He's not a future NBA stud that's going to make a ton of money playing professionally. Go get paid when you can.

The second question, I assume, is moot now. Keep in mind, I said it was understandable. But it also sickens me that this is what college athletics has become. For the record, I'm fine with college athletes getting paid. I just think there needs to be some regulation to it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT