ADVERTISEMENT

Whatever they are paying Coach Welch…

If you think this is because of Welch, I don’t know what to say.
First it is FIBA ball with a 24 second clock. Nobody is zoning us in this tourney. We have Wagner/Edwards/Sheppard/Dillingham instead of Askew/Mintz/Grady/TyTy/Wheeler as our 1-3 positions.

UK needs to double his salary. This offense is light years from Cal’s plodding, trip to the dentist crap we have seen the past four years.
I just hope this isn't another situation where Cal has been forced into a lineup that is actually better because of injury and then will get away from it when he can.

Don't get me wrong I know Bradshaw's supertalented and Ugonna should be improved I just like this small ball.
I just don't wanna see Ugonna, Bradshaw and Mitchell all out there together and I worry Cal will do something like that.

It’s exciting but also keep in mind they haven’t been scouted, the defense has no scheme to slow them down yet.

Don't get me wrong I know Bradshaw's supertalented and Ugonna should be improved I just like this small ball.
The small ball is great, but if we have a 7 footer down low, these guards and wings will thrive even more. Calipari teams with great guards and a big get at least 3-4 driving alley oops. Once the bigs have to choose either stopping the driver or staying with their man it makes it even easier for the driver.

UK needs to double his salary. This offense is light years from Cal’s plodding, trip to the dentist crap we have seen the past four years.
Yes, the O does look good but maybe tap the brakes a bit because that is not SEC competition they are facing and defense matters, too.

The small ball is great, but if we have a 7 footer down low, these guards and wings will thrive even more. Calipari teams with great guards and a big get at least 3-4 driving alley oops. Once the bigs have to choose either stopping the driver or staying with their man it makes it even easier for the driver.
O I know, I just don't want them all out there together and one of Cals weird line ups.

I just hope this isn't another situation where Cal has been forced into a lineup that is actually better because of injury and then will get away from it when he can.

I just don't wanna see Ugonna, Bradshaw and Mitchell all out there together and I worry Cal will do something like that.
I agree to a point. I don't want to see lots of big men on the court at once either but we definitely need some more rebounding and interior protection. I think that has been made obvious and we will be playing bigger and more talented teams during the season. We definitely will need more size and we won't /can't play run and gun in the NCAA like we did with these games. FIBA ball is just a different style of play. But, I think we're basically on the same page.

This offense is really not much different from the offense when Cal had ultra talented teams. For the 100th time, this is what it looks like when you have talented basketball players who move the ball. Welch was a great hire but this offense has zero to do with Welch

We're playing a 5 out motion offense. We never ran this last year, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

I agree to an extent. However, we aren’t very good rebounding right now. We are gonna get killed on the boards without some bigger guys playing IMO.

It's probably a lot of things. Our guards are just light years better than what we had the last few years. Btw, Grady and Ty were doing pretty good until they got hurt. But this team is just a lot more talented.
We no doubt have a better guards as a whole but if we were only playing 2 of them at a time with Oscar/Toppin/Ware/Collins/Livingston as the 3,4,5 then we’d look very similar. I mean we didn’t have reeves/Wallace And TyTy/Grady. It isn’t a coincidence that we looked significantly better and more fluid last year w Oscar injured and Collins gone and no big man depth behind Ware, Toppin, Livingston sharing all the 4/5 time…3 guards aka skilled basketball players over athleticism only

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Wait till Cal gets the twin towers back he will plod along as always sucking the life and spontaneous play out of the team

And the replies saying that the guards are more talented and that is the reason. Well that is true but the cuts to the basket and the motion of the offense are totally different. It’s true the guards are talented enough to take their man off the dribble but when the defense collapses, the open man properly positions himself behind the 3 point line.

I want to give a little credit to Cal for what seems like an excellent hire but let’s remember we’re playing without our two big men. Throw them in the mix and how do we look? Are we running the same offense? Time will tell.
OK he gets a little credit, but don't overdo it.

Reactions: seccats04
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT