ADVERTISEMENT

Football What UF fans are saying

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
27-13 good guys. I could see UK hitting a few explosives and then the drive stall out in the red zone and they settle for FGs.

Great to see Kingsley back and Waites ready to play. Incredible he has come back so quickly from injury. I know many of us complain about the OL but we are building depth and I think we will see if this OL is improving this weekend with Kingsley back and their having a few games to gel. I am expecting us to run the ball successfully, which will be a change for us against uk. I also noticed that Odom is 2nd string and while everyone drank the kool aid this summer about Arlis being a mismatch, Odom catches everything that comes his way and him and Harden are our top blocking TE's. We are a running team and I like those two a lot.

Speaking of Running the Ball
- Montrell seems to run less vertical than last year. It is almost as if he is trying to show he is more than a power back. I think he is much better when he plants his foot and bulls forward with no hesitation. That being said, I believe Napier has been giving Montrell the chance to prove he is RB1, but unless he breaks out quickly against uk, I think we will see Trevor get the majority of reps.

Special Teams
Love Smack getting the start, but would like to see Mizell return some KO's to see if his speed could get us a big return.

Offense
Everyone lost their mind after the Charlotte game. While I also miss the days when we blew out the lower competition, I think BN is not worried about style points. He knows he has a defense that enables him to win with a lower score and personally I think he is trying things out before we get to the brutal stretch of our schedule. Why do we need to throw long if we keep winning. Why not wait until we need it or against tams like uga/lsu etc.. I prefer he keeps some of these plays close to the vest and use them in a game where we need them.

Go Gators and I think we win 28-17 this weekend.

Good thoughts

Defense- I agree with you.

Depth chart- So excited to see Kingsley back. Cannot overstate his importance to the team. He makes all the playcalls so everyone else is better when he plays. Really hope Waites is ready. That would be a huge boost to our OL depth.

Running- Hope to see more of #7 but I also love #2 and he's a better pass protector.

Special Teams- I know that people LOVE to criticize out ST this year. It was initially for a great reason because we were terrible. However, there has been consistent progress. Smack has really progressed and has hopefully gained confidence that will result in consistency. We have been pretty good on punt coverage and our kickoffs are outstanding. Really our only issue recently has been numbers on the opposing team's FGs. That's annoying but in the end not that big of an issue. Hopefully we will continue to make progress.

Offense- I agree with you about style points. I think Coach Napier knows that will this team, we will have to win ugly and that's ok.

I hope people on this board can relax and realize that we aren't going undefeated the rest of the way. We all say that but then freak out about anything that causes us to lose a game. That being said, I think we win this weekend...best guess, 24-14.

On the offense, I disagree, respectfully. Why wait to exercise a vertical passing game until you need it? That’s nuts. When you need it and haven’t worked on it in game day conditions how do you know it will deliver for you?

You need to exercise every element of the game for that moment it is essential for a win

This is like saying I don’t ever use my long irons in golf and then you’re 215 out and need to hit a 5 iron only to shank it in the woods. When we need the vertical passing game we don’t want to shank it. And lastly, what better place to exercise and test it than against an inferior opponent

Well done! Good on every point. As for offense and play-calling, I’m wondering how much kf our conservative approach is purely Billy Napier and how much is personnel related. Our QB, Montrell and Pearsall are our most experienced starters in a unit that’s been without its only experienced returning lineman, has been starting a green back-up center and relies heavily on freshmen receivers and redshirt freshmen tight ends.

Billy’s successful recruitment of D.J. Lagway, a dual threat who’s very comfortable in the picket and is making a strong case as the nation’s best QB prospect, surely involves much more than becoming a short-passing game manager. So does the ongoing pursuit of the best wife receiver prospect in several years, Jerimiah Smith. In other words, Billy Napier is envisioning a transition offensively to one that includes deep shots to fast receivers. Once he has experienced personnel to do so.

I think with you that those deeper downfield throws are coming as the schedule toughens. For now winning by strangling the clock works just fine.

34-13, Gators

I don't think we are holding anything back for future games. I think we are just playing it safe because of the team we have this year. I do think we might take some shots when we have our OL at full strength but this year we will just have to win ugly.

Billy has run Montrell out there first since they both got here last year, he has nothing to ''prove". Billy just likes routine so Johnson goes out first followed shortly by ETN.

I think people are overthinking the offense. Initially while watching the game I thought the OL was getting whipped. But after rewatching I noticed there were a few instances where linemen got beat but more often than not Charlotte was bringing more than they could block. Personally I think Billy was trying some things out, seeing if we could run into an unideal box, trying different pass concepts, etc. Any time we wanted to run a slant or a screen it was there. Any time we wanted to throw a seam route it was there. I think Billy never felt the game was in doubt and therefore tried a few things. However, I don't think he expected the lack of red zone success.

Billy is a smart guy and by all accounts so is Graham. We incorporated several RPOs last week that I hadn't seen before. I would expect to see a lot more playing the numbers this weekend. Checking into runs against a light box. Quick passes against a stacked box. RPOs. And maybe even the occasional deep shot if Billy feels they have time to throw them.

gotta win this one

Whenever I think of Mark Stoops as a head coach the word “solid” comes up. Nothing spectacular, but solid enough results to het the Wildcats to a mid-level bowl every year. But it’s worth pointing out that since he first knit together a winning season in 2016 Stoops’ Wildcats only have a 29-30 record in the SEC. His teams have gone 5-3 in conference play twice. There’s plenty of 4-4 and 3-5 there including 3-5 in 2022. A good Florida team should beat Kentucky every year and a really good Gator team should turn this opponent into “Mildcats”. This game presents Napier and this Florida outfit a big opportunity to take another significant step forward.

Got anymore of those uncovered WRs?

200.gif

Almost every writer at SEC Media days picked Kentucky to finish the season with a better record than UF. A win Saturday on the road will be HUGE for our program.

Gotta win the LOS . . . been several years since we have done that.

IF we lose this game we can brace ourselves for a 5-7 or 4-8 season and lose a lot of the recruiting class. This is a must win !!!!!!

Not sure I agree with that. It's a game we need to win but if we lose it, I don't think it means we could only win 2 of our remaining 7 games. Especially with what we've seen from the SEC so far this season where it seems you never know which team will show up week to week.

Good DBs will make us drive it. Need some between the hashes chunk. Red zone...throw it at the endzone.

I wouldn't go to the extreme that 2blades did, but I do believe this game is a pivotal point of the direction of the rest of the season.

Limit turnovers as they have gifted UK points the last few years. Get the ball to Wilson often and in different ways. I like how this sets up for UF.

I agree. But speaking of this particular game, I believe if we beat Kentucky then we go 3-0 in these next three games. If we lose to Kentucky, then we may go 1-2 in the next 3.

I'm more worried about South Carolina to be honest. Rattler is playing at another level and if they get Juice Wells back they have the best WR duo in the SEC. And we get them off a bye. This UK team is interesting because they're not as disciplined as previous Stoops teams.

I am not going to throw away this season if we lose to UK.

I’m not sure why so many people here think we just walk in and take what is ours —
UK has a very good run defense… if they stack the box and Billy doesn’t adjust, we could be in trouble. (And we’ve heard this song before) I’m praying this doesn’t happen….. but I won’t just pack it in if it does

...and as far as UK goes, I just watched the complete game vs Vandy and parts of two other games and we're better than them. Leary (that most of us coveted over Mertz), has really struggled. If he plays like he did against Vandy we win. They have played an extremely weak schedule so far, we need to hit em in the mouth early

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News