ADVERTISEMENT

What should our hot board look like?

Feb 10, 2024
Are there any up and comers? I just can’t see an experienced HOF’er coach wanting to come here. Is there someone in the mid majors we could look at? I kind of like the Schultz coach at Indiana State…

Hurley needs to be options 1, 2, 3 and 4!

After that- a bit outside the box (because his name is rarely mentioned), but Tommy Lloyd at Arizona is damn impressive.

If I don't give a damn about age, how could I say no to Kelvin Sampson- probably the best coach in America.

Billy Donovan, Pearl and Oats wouldn't be bad.

Keep Scott Drew away from our program.

Well I hope none of the candidates have ever lost a game, because the nut danglers will be here telling us all how that disqualifies them.

Drew is call 1 for Mitch.

Pearl needs to be considered heavily. He’s hungry, passionate, prioritizes college and goes all in with the fanbase wherever he is. And has made a garbage sec school into a consistent knocking on E8 type team. UK gets him over the him and he wins a title playing fun basketball

ghows-WT-8611409d-af3f-4eae-968a-114b8b3c4131-e2c76caf.jpeg

Hurley needs to be options 1, 2, 3 and 4!

After that- a bit outside the box (because his name is rarely mentioned), but Tommy Lloyd at Arizona is damn impressive.

If I don't give a damn about age, how could I say no to Kelvin Sampson- probably the best coach in America.

Billy Donovan, Pearl and Oats wouldn't be bad.

Keep Scott Drew away from our program.

Donovan would be unreal because a) he would succeed and b) he's unhateable, so rival fans would only have jealousy to work with. They'd have to kick rocks when he won.

I agree with everyone who said Hurley as the only option. However, if Matt Jones is to be believed, our first option will be Scott Drew. What scares me most is the man in charge of making that decision, Mitch Barnhart. I give him credit for getting Cal, but the man also gave him a ridiculous contract, Elzy a contract extension based on basically nothing, and Gillespie the head job unjustifiably.

Reactions: dynastydreamuk
He turned us down twice before. I don't want a third rejection because I don't see him leaving the NBA. A lot of coaches don't want to mess with NIL and the portal. College coaching was hard enough before, but now, I just don't see it. I think he's got it too easy in the pros and I don't think we could afford him AND Cal's buyout. Just my opinion though.

He turned us down twice before. I don't want a third rejection because I don't see him leaving the NBA. A lot of coaches don't want to mess with NIL and the portal. College coaching was hard enough before, but now, I just don't see it. I think he's got it too easy in the pros and I don't think we could afford him AND Cal's buyout. Just my opinion though.
I respect that. He might not leave the nba but my opinion I think you take the risk of being rejected on the very small chance he accepts

It may not happen but you absolutely have to at least ask Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan
Sure, ask them for the sake of asking them I guess. Stevens DEFINETLY isn't leaving Boston where he's doing well and happy to come to a program with way more stress.
Just not happening. Donovan has a higher chance but has said no twice.

Reactions: HoneyMoon155
Billy Donovan needs to get his ass to Lexington and get the hell out of Chicago. He’s to good of a college coach to be in the NBA. We need a proven winner and he would dominate here
What evidence is there that Donovan can succeed in the current NIL transfer portal era? Zero.

i think donovan is too closely connected to pitino to consider the ky job. jmdo

i think donovan is too closely connected to pitino to consider the ky job. jmdo
But if he called pitino today...Rick would tell Billy to take the kentucky job now I bet. Rick's not at lousiville anymore, remember? Rick has been open recently saying he never should have left kentucky.

First calls should be Donovan and Jay Wright.

I think good chance Donovan would say yes this time...his contract I'm Chicago is ending I believe and the bulls probably want to move on.

Reactions: blubo
Sean Miller and Kelvin Sampson are names that will be shot down too quickly, IMO. I’d take both over Pearl in a heartbeat. I just really don’t get the Pearl love. *Good* coach, but not great and too much baggage

Reactions: ManitouDan
No matter what, never going to get a consensus answer on here. Someone is always going to mock and belittle anyone you suggest as if they know better and their answer is right.

Reactions: Ky-troutbum
Please not Pearl . An old SEC blow hard who coached his ass off versus us but slept thru a ton of other games . That shouldn’t qualify him .. just like I hate players who play extra hard on Sat versus UK then no show on Tues night .. that’s not worthy of being a UK coach .. also very little tourney success

Reactions: BigTyrone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT