ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball What Pope told Goodman

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
I know there is a thread with the video link, here is a synopsis of what Mark Pope told Jeff Goodman in a Zoom interview that played on The Field of 68's show on YouTube.

** Pope called Butler "probably the best defensive backcourt player in the country" and circled back to him again at the end of the interview. Definitely excited about him. Probably values him more than a lot of folks out there who have been publicly talking about the team. Also went on to call him a big-time winner.

** On that point emphasized that all the guys Kentucky has brought in are very high character guys, hard workers. Emphasized that as part of the reason this team fits the staff and their vision so well.

** Believes Otega Oweh is right there not far behind Butler as one of the better perimeter defenders in the country.

** Called Amari Williams the best rim protecting defender in the entire country.

** "What we have is a roster of 9 that we think will grow in the next week or so and we've been really blessed to put together a roster that I think fits brilliantly what we're trying to do."

** Said Andrew Carr was "born to play for us". Didn't elaborate but he's a tough, high basketball IQ, versatile guy so probably something to do with that and the toughness/mentality aspects he's emphasized with all these players.

** Koby Brea is the most efficient high-mid, high-major player in the last decade offensively. He's 1.33 PPP, next closest was 1.31. "I've never seen numbers like what he puts up."

** Believes Brandon Garrison is a "rising star" and said Collin Chandler is going to be a star. With Chandler, emphasized his willingness to walk away from hoops as an elite prospect with a bright future to serve an LDS mission in West Africa, DC, and New York.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News