ADVERTISEMENT

Football What Ole Miss fans are saying about Saturday's game

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Every week Cats Illustrated is presenting some of the comments from the fan base whose program faces Kentucky next.

Here's a selection of what Ole Miss fans are saying.

Over the past 30 years the Rebels are 3-3 in Lexington.

S&P rankings after week 4 ... Ole Miss is ranked 44th and Kentucky is 43rd. Saturday should be fun.

Rebs by 2 TDs, please credit

Third straight in Lexington?

Most people don't realize the amount of talent Kentucky has on defense.

Going back to 2017 they have 14 4 stars, 1 5 star

last year they signed 5 DL, 4 4 stars, 1 5 star

Their offensive line is also all 4 and 5 star players.These are Rivals rankings

They had a top 10 scoring defense last year.

Nobody is taking the KY talent for granted. But I know what I saw Saturday. Our OL was pretty good. There’s some legit talent there. KY might have equal or slightly less talent in the trenches than FL did, but they damn sure don’t have the QB, TE, or WR’s FL has. That’s why I think we win that game.

I agree with everything you said except the first sentence. So many of our fans see Kentucky on the jersey and have no idea the players they’ve been able to sign in the past few years. They’ve done really well in Florida. I’m shocked Stoops wasn’t Florida State’s first choice.

Well yeah. Maybe I should have said I’m not taking them for granted. I can’t speak for everybody. I actually thought we would lose this game before the season started, but now I think we win. The only thing that worries me is how they love to eat clock and pound the ball. IIRC they ran 20 more plays than Auburn and had the ball 13 more minutes than Auburn. When we have the ball, we have to make it count. I also said the other day that I think it will be huge to have actual film on our guys in a game now. I don’t think Lane knew what to expect. He seemed to think that game Corral was much better than practice Corral. And he said our practice defense shut down our offense in one of our last scrimmages. We better hope we fix something on defense this week.

There is a thread on TOS saying kentucky is a “must win”. Like come on man you’ve got to be kidding me

I mean, it kind of is. We don’t want to start out 0-3.

Yeah. This game is no where close to a gimme.For me, just like last week, I hope we play well and put an entertaining product on the field. The win is gravy.

Apparently they don’t have Xavier Peters. No idea if he was good but I was interested to see him. Highly rated guy with grade problems out of high school.

I think we’re better than Auburn on offense, and they put up 29. I think 35 wins it.

They were just behind Florida in total defense ratings last year but they were the top rated pass defense in the conference last year. Some of that was due to playing in the East and playing Arkansas and State from the West as well as a pretty weak OOC schedule. They were pretty far down the list in rushing defense.They're going to be solid. They are going to run it, run it again and run it some more. We are going to have to guess well on some run stunts and when we play straight up the safeties are going to have to make some tackles because their OL is going to be able to get to the second level on some occasions because we don't have Benito and Coatney causing double teams.We are going to have to be efficient on offense. They held the ball for 36 minutes on Saturday. If there is some regression to the mean in the passing game as there typically is, we can't waste possessions with ill-timed changes in personnel groupings and assignments.

Kentucky is a 7 point favorite for a reason. They have a powerful o line and a good d. They probably win 65 times out of 100 games against us.

Watch them stuff our O and shred our D...board meltdown

It’s not a MUST win but if we lose we’re staring 0-3 in the face. 1-2 with losses to UF/Bama still allows for a salvageable season imo. 0-3 With a full SEC slate ahead gives chance for disaster to unfold.

I worry about the offense and QB that will show up. The Saturday before in the scrimmage our scout team shut down our offense. Then a week later our offense was lights out.

We have the ability to bottle up the run enough to beat Kentucky.

Outside of the Kadarius Toney missed tackle in the first half we kept Florida in check. Guys were in the right places. Then late 3rd quarter happened. Fatigue, lack of depth.I don't think UK will run wild on us all game.Getting off the field in 3rd and longs and not giving them extra possessions via turnovers will go a long way.

Toney and Pitts will give defenses fits all season long. I agree I felt our run D was more than respectable it was the big plays in the passing game and inability to get off the field on 3rd downs that cost us. Have to get that fixed and it’s a winnable game.

Is it safe to say we're putting up 40 on Saturday?

I don’t think Kentucky is more talented then UF defensively.

UK hung with Auburn for most of the game. I don’t think Auburn is as good as UF, but they’re not far off. I’d consider it a pick’em

10 point win for the Rebs

Kentucky got ****ed by the refs and so did Ole Miss. someone is getting ****ed again this weekend. guessing it’s us since it’s at Kentucky.

This will most likely be another heartbreaking loss that will feel a little like a moral victory. Kentucky is pretty good. We are better than last year but still bad. We lose by 4 with the ball in KY territory as time runs out.

They'll beat us bc they actually play defense. Not getting any DL help is going to cost us winning a game or two we could have won.

They are good on defense. Do not expect too much too soon out of this program, it is only going to lead to disappointment. There is a reason we have a new coach. Be realistic

They’re going to try to chew the clock, they don’t want a track meet. I think we’re going to say **** it and sell out for the run a lot.

I think the key for us on this game is a fast start. We need to get them on their heels and make them get away from the run. We are better suited than they are for a shoot out.

I worry about Kentucky playing ball control and eating tons of clock.

I don’t see any way they hold us to 27 after watching Saturday.

We ran 78 plays against Florida and had 10 possessions. I think that’s more like 58 and 7-8 possessions this weekend. Kentucky isn’t going fast on offense and they’re gonna run the football.

Winning the turnover battle will be key. Defensively, I think you sell out on the run and make Terry Wilson beat you with his arm. Offensively, start fast and take an early lead, force Kentucky to change the game plan offensively, Corral keeping himself within the offense, making plays with his feet when the play breaks down, and capitalizing in the red zone will put us in a great spot to get the win.Kentucky has good athletes but in my opinion, Florida recruits a higher level of talent all around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News