ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball What KU fans said....

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Kentucky has a pretty high ceiling

Theyre good, but we made them look like the best team in the country.

Kentucky played a flawless game. More about them than us. Did we play well? no.

that first half by them was a work of art

When you look at the talent other programs have and then look at ours, there certainly seems to be some truth to that. Bill picks up the scraps from Duke, UK, and several other programs who pick off recruits from our wish list. It's been going on for decades, though

Well next years class certainly isn't that way but we've always had to get a bit lower tier in terms of rankings for players out of high school.

When going after too rated recruits, we often get the ones others had second on their list. I'm certainly not complaining. I like most of the guys we bring in.

What happened tonight was a perfect storm. Let's face it, Cal gets who he wants and this past off-season he went after the portal. He has an experienced team of future NBa starters.

OP is correct. I was more impressed with them than I was unimpressed by us.

They might have the highest ceiling in the country

I think when KY comes across a set of officials who call a close game they won't be near effective.

When a role-player gets 29 points on 16 shots, you are going to win…easily…every time.

Especially when said role player is an 11 PPG scorer, has put up 20 point games in the past, and has played plenty of minutes against top tier competition.

FWIW Kentucky’s two starting guards were our top targets in the off-season. I say that not to be critical of Self for losing recruiting battles to Calipari….he’s one of the 2 best recruiters in the modern era of basketball. But rather it shouldn’t be a surprise that their guards outplayed our guards despite the box score.

I also thought Calipari coached a hell of a game. He knows Self as well as any coach and his guys were extremely well prepared. It’s a fruitless exercise to convince anyone on this board to give him praise but I got a laugh when he made the quip at halftime “people think I just roll the ball out there” because you don’t have the career he’s had by accident.

I wonder if our fans remember that Oscar came into AFH as a freshman and put up a 17 & 17 on Dok and looked damn good doing it.

We don't have enough capable mid range shooters. UK was the first team I've seen with good mid range shooters in years.

I still think the much bigger hit was losing our Adidas bagmen.

Kentucky actually has players that will play in the nba. KU has one guy that Might sit on a bench for a year or 2.

This board is Rupp Rafters 2.0

A bunch of spoiled wieners who ‘know’ more than a hall of fame coach. You’re basically a version of softball guy. You’re white bread couch potatoes who’s high school coach kept you from being all-pro. Y’all need to get out of your mom’s basements and go to a Wendy’s today.

What’s so frustrating is the attacks on Bill Self when the reason for many of the team’s deficiencies both offensively and defensively is weakness at the 5 position. It reminds me of the crap on this board the first two to three years of Self’s tenure at Kansas. Does anyone realize how bad Kentucky was last season? Calipari had to totally rebuild his roster.

This was Self’s worst coaching job during his tenure at KU. Even Hall of Famers can crap the bed.

I’m sure being out of town all week for his dads funeral has nothing to do with this

The team threw in the towel at the end of the first half.

Bill Self says Kansas’ upcoming Big 12/SEC Challenge matchup against fellow blueblood Kentucky is not as important as say, any Big 12 Conference game this time of year.

Was worried when I read this

Bill has some of the blame. Give credit to Kentucky. They had players make plays and played as a team. I don’t mind the loss but good lord 18 point drubbing? Wilson, Dave and Harris single digits? Och held to 13 and missed a half dozen lay ups even though some were forced and stupid decisions. Dave and Jalen could have sat the bench and had more effect on the game.

Theory: Self does a really good job getting this many wins out of these players but sometimes he runs up against a team that has so much more talent that there isn't anything he can do.

Nobody said it was a meaningless game. But the entire SEC/Big 12 challenge is a made for TV extravaganza that doesn't compare in importance to winning conference championships. So this game was not as important as a conference game except to fans who put so much emphasis on one game.

People can be as critical of McCormack as they want.....what today proved is if Mc can't produce simply 2/3 of what Tshiebwe does, this team has NO CHANCE!!!

I disagree that the Iowa St game is more important. Self just said this. We aren't competing against Iowa St for national titles and recruits. We are competing with Kentucky

🥱 big 12 titles. UConn has more titles than us.

This game reminds me of a high school game. All we have is shoot 3’s or drive the basket or feed a post person. No mid range game! How many 12 to 15 foot jumpers did UK hit and we have one person, Och, who can hit mid range and no one else and no true post will really leave us vulnerable come tourney time. We need better defense as well. High school effort from KU today.

In 2011-2012 K.U. was embarrassed by Kentucky in its opening game at Madison Square Garden. The deficit was 10 points, but the game was far worse than the score. In its last game of that season, K.U. again lost to Kentucky in a far closer game, but it was for the national championship after Kansas beat North Carolina, Purdue, Ohio State and North Carolina State in the NCAAs. Not excusing yesterday's humiliating beat-down by any means, but this team and this coach are capable of rallying.

Self threw in the towel.
We play tight in big games. We always have. We rarely blow out good teams like Kentucky, Villanova, auburn, and usc did to us. We just don’t separate from good teams and that has been the case for years now. It’s our biggest issue in the tournament.

We haven’t been talented 3 of the last 4 years.

The loss can be viewed simply as this - play a crappy first half against a mediocre KSUcks and come back to win. Spot a really good UK team 20 and you don’t came back to win. Time to regroup and move on to the coming conference games.

This team has to commit to playing defense. They have to commit to it or season will end prematurely. They have to find a way to stop dribble penetration and become better individually and as a team. Toughness goes with getting stops and taking pride in defense and rebounding. As good as we can be offensively we can’t hit our ceiling w/o this major improvement.

I agree. Tonight UK hit a lot of mid range jumpers that hurt a lot as well. Until we solve the problems we have at the 5, penetration defense is going to be a problem. I wish we would mix things up more with some zone defenses to help keep the paint protected.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News