ADVERTISEMENT

What is everyone currently reading?

Went on a binge where I think the number got to seven in about a month at that time...read The Winter of Frankie Machine, The Dawn Patrol and The Gentlemen's Hour in about a week. Really liked the Surf Noir stuff. Did read Kings of Cool and Savages which were a little bit of a stretch compared to the first five. I will probably read City on Fire and the Power of the Dog series in the Winter.

"And There Was Light: Abraham Lincoln and the American Struggle" by Jon Meacham.

Went on a binge where I think the number got to seven in about a month at that time...read The Winter of Frankie Machine, The Dawn Patrol and The Gentlemen's Hour in about a week. Really liked the Surf Noir stuff. Did read Kings of Cool and Savages which were a little bit of a stretch compared to the first five. I will probably read City on Fire and the Power of the Dog series in the Winter.
The Power of the Dog/Cartel is my favorite. It should be a movie at some point.

The Border and The Force are very well done as well.

When Christmas Comes and A Strange Habit Of Mind by Andrew Klavan are absolute bangers.

I just knocked out A Strange Habit of Mind over the weekend.

Getting ready to start "Marcus Aurelius' meditations". Just finished Joe Abercrombie's "Half a King" series and it was good but not as good as his "First Law" trilogy and the 3 stand alones after. If you like modern fantasy... you have to read the First Law stuff.
@hmt5000 I'm glad to hear you liked the First Law trilogy. I just started "The Blade Itself." I'm not far enough in to have an opinion yet, but promising so far and I've read a lot of favorable reviews.

WOKE, INC. -Vivek Ramaswamy

Inside Corporate America's Social Justice Scam

Last edited:
Reactions: UKMKG
A Helen MacInnes spy novel. Assignment in Brittany. Written during WW2 about WW2. I'm more than pleased. For some reason, I'd thought she was going to be a clumsy, pulp writer. Instead, it's very good. At least one member of her marriage and possibly both did work for MI6 so she knew what she wrote about.

Reactions: rudd1
Lazurus by Lars Kepler. Previously Knife by Jo Nesbo (Harry Hole series). Scandinavian authors are damn good at telling a story.

I've got two going right now:

Altamont: The Rolling Stones, the Hells Angels, and the Inside Story of Rock's Darkest Day
Over My Dead Body: Unearthing the Hidden History of America's Cemeteries

Altamont is pretty self-explanatory from it's title. Over My Dead Body focuses on many of America's oldest and sometimes forgotten cemeteries, the history of the region, etc.

Before these two, I read Tarantino's Cinema Speculation, which was his take on various 70's flicks he grew up watching with some added background about the films and also his childhood of practically living in a movie theater. After reading his chapters on Dirty Harry and Deliverance, I had to watch those two again immediately.

American Pastoral - Philip Roth

(and I'm kind of already regretting it...)

Someone mentioned reading The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles. If you haven’t, read A Gentleman in Moscow next. It’s an incredible book.

I've got two going right now:

Altamont: The Rolling Stones, the Hells Angels, and the Inside Story of Rock's Darkest Day
Over My Dead Body: Unearthing the Hidden History of America's Cemeteries

Altamont is pretty self-explanatory from it's title. Over My Dead Body focuses on many of America's oldest and sometimes forgotten cemeteries, the history of the region, etc.

Before these two, I read Tarantino's Cinema Speculation, which was his take on various 70's flicks he grew up watching with some added background about the films and also his childhood of practically living in a movie theater. After reading his chapters on Dirty Harry and Deliverance, I had to watch those two again immediately.
Reading that Tarantino book right now. Definitely makes me want to binge watch a lot of the movies he discusses.

American Pastoral - Philip Roth

(and I'm kind of already regretting it...)
I haven't read a lot of Roth. The Plot Against America and the beginning of American Pastoral. I got 2/3 of the way through The Plot Against America before I started skimming, I didn't even get to the skimming stage with American Pastoral. TPAA was great in the parts where he was remembering WW2 in Jewish New Jersey, but not so good with his Fascist plot. Lindbergh and his America Firsters were sketchy, but a lot of them came around when Germany declared war on us. You could wish Lindbergh had been different, but you wouldn't wish him to be the way Roth imagined him to be.

American Pastoral didn't begin well. It was like a brochure for the Rotary Club. All the little blurbs on the cover let you know it was going to Turn Out Badly. I don't mind books that Turn Out Badly but I don't want them sharing shelf space in my head.

Reading that Tarantino book right now. Definitely makes me want to binge watch a lot of the movies he discusses.
His writing style is how he speaks, a bit scatterbrained. The passion he has for '70s films is unmatched however. Guy casually throws out 1,000 other movies in the middle of the actual films he's chosen to focus on. I've made watching random '70s films a little goal of mine after the read though. There's lots of random ass Bronson type flicks that are solid.

I have been working through Robert Crais' Cole & Pike detective novels. Very entertaining.

Last edited:
His writing style is how he speaks, a bit scatterbrained. The passion he has for '70s films is unmatched however. Guy casually throws out 1,000 other movies in the middle of the actual films he's chosen to focus on. I've made watching random '70s films a little goal of mine after the read though. There's lots of random ass Bronson type flicks that are solid.
The absolute contempt he has for 80s cinema is funny - a lot of people my age look back so fondly on those movies.

I'm looking forward to Lou Berney's new book coming out in September, Dark Ride. The guy doesn't have a lot of books under his belt but what he does have is quality material. November Road is probably the best book I've read in the last 10 years. The Long and Faraway Gone is also fantastic.

We were keeping our eye on 1984. When the year came and the prophecy didn’t, thoughtful Americans sang softly in praise of themselves. The roots of liberal democracy had held. Wherever else the terror had happened, we, at least, had not been visited by Orwellian nightmares.

But we had forgotten that alongside Orwell’s dark vision, there was another -- slightly older, slightly less well known, equally chilling: Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World. Contrary to common belief even among the educated, Huxley and Orwell did not prophesy the same thing. Orwell warns that we will be overcome by an externally imposed oppression. But in Huxley’s vision, no Big Brother is required to deprive people of their autonomy, maturity and history. As he saw it, people will come to love their oppression, to adore the technologies that undo their capacities to think.

What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny “failed to take into account man’s almost infinite appetite for distractions.” In 1984, Huxley added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we hate will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we love will ruin us.

354088963_188005987228614_6293931329877709990_n.jpg

Reactions: Hank Camacho
Finally broke down and downloaded Killers of the Flower Moon. Nearly 50,000 positive reviews on Amazon. 2 chapters in and so far so good.

"We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on. It is our responsibility to leave the people of the future a free hand. In the impetuous youth of humanity, we can make grave errors that can stunt our growth for a long time. This we will do if we say we have the answers now, so young and ignorant as we are. If we suppress all discussion, all criticism, proclaiming 'This is the answer, my friends; man is saved!' we will doom humanity for a long time to the chains of authority, confined to the limits of our present imagination. It has been done so many times before.
"It is our responsibility as scientists, knowing the great progress which comes from a satisfactory philosophy of ignorance, the great progress which is the fruit of freedom of thought, to proclaim the value of this freedom; to teach how doubt is not to be feared but welcomed and discussed; and to demand this freedom as our duty to all coming generations."

367425368_10160168676987832_8032159290006085757_n.jpg

A Shilling for Candles by Josephine Tey

It's a right-before-the-war Golden Age mystery. Hitchcock sort of used it for his movie Young and Innocent.

All the Sinners Bleed by S.A. Cosby

Gonna knock out a bunch of biographies that I've bought recently after that, starting with King by Jonathan Eig

Chaos
Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties

(Tom O’Neill)

It’s pretty fantastic.
Read it a year or so ago. Leaves you with more questions than answers but it gave me a whole new perspective on Bugliosi and government involvement with Manson that I never knew existed. Pretty mind blowing stuff.

Just finished- Heat 2

Started- Under The Banner Of Heaven
How was Heat 2. I think I might buy it next.

I just finished Kirk Herbstreit book. It was about what you would expect. Easy read.

Reading The Mastermind right now. I can already tell its going to be a damn good book.

How was Heat 2. I think I might buy it next.

I just finished Kirk Herbstreit book. It was about what you would expect. Easy read.

Reading The Mastermind right now. I can already tell its going to be a damn good book.
It was good, worth buying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT