ADVERTISEMENT

What books would you like to see made into films?

I'd like to see the Thomas Covenant books made into a series or a trilogy. The first trilogy was really good.

I would like someone to make a movie from one of my many favorite comic books. Something fun and action-packed, but also serious and even romantic at times. Even if it's something I've read 10 times and know the story so well, I'd pay to watch it as a movie.

You know what I'm saying? I think that might be kinda cool if someone had the creativity to use someone else's story verbatim and maybe not even pay the guy who created the story in the first place. Maybe they could "plagiarize" (whatever that means) the whole thing so there are no surprises

Reactions: Rebelfreedomeagle
Seriously, I want to see them finish the series from the first movie I Am # Four. Thought it was interesting. Same for Jupiter ascending and John Carter Liked those too.

Someone would have to rip Carter out of Disney's filthy hands to get it done

Although they wouldn't be ground breaking, life changing stories, I do think the following would be good movie series.

Clive Cussler - Dirk Pitt series - 26 total books
-The only one made to my knowledge was Sahara with Matthew McConaughey and Steve Zahn. There is always a change from book to film, but this was fairly close.

Lee Child - Jack Reacher series - 25 total books
-Sure, Tom Cruise has done 2 thus far, but it's a very different character and feel. Tom is small and is waaay tooo polished. He talks too much......is too nice....way too good of a driver.....and his fighting style is very polished to a particular style.
-Reacher in the books is very big.......and super gritty.....bad driver.....constantly drinks coffee. He is described as being >6'5" and around #250. He looks "like he's been chiseled from stone by a guy who didn't have too much time." He is a great fighter, but he's not polished.....he's more dirty and brutal. He's also less principled.....he'll beat up or kill someone without remorse or regard for law/due process if they are deemed bad enough.
-Lee Child has said that Tom Cruise was a great guy, but the differences were so much from the written character, that he'll no longer allow Cruise to play Reacher.

I also like the Jason Bourne series from Ludlum/Lustbader. And the Tom Clancy Jack Ryan series (which has been butchered by Amazon)

Reacher is how Cruise as a person needs to be seen by others. Hard to find actors that don't suck at acting that are that big. Almost all of the actors I've known went into it because they were too slight in some way to feel very good about themselves without make believe.

I love the Dirk Pitt series. Unfortunately, Sahara was one of the biggest box office busts of all time even with a really good cast. I don't think anyone in Hollywood has the guts to try again.

I don't get it either. It was and is a fun movie. Totally enjoyed it.

I’m going to count comics/graphic novels as well soooo
  • They Called Us Enemy
  • Maus
  • The Glass Castle
  • Bone (as long as it’s animated, live action would probably be really dumb)
  • My Losing Season
  • Blankets
  • Essex County
  • A Stolen Life
  • Scalped
  • We Stand On Guard
My losing season would be brutal. That book made me cry.

My D&D group took the night off to watch Marvel's latest comic-to-film adaptation, Black Widow. I passed because I'm taking my niece to see it next week and I doubt I'll want to watch it twice. :b

I recently picked up David Morrell's First Blood and while I haven't read it yet, I skimmed it a little and was surprised to discover that the book's set in Madison, Kentucky, which I assume is Madison County. I'd love to see a First Blood movie that's faithful to the source; I don't recall any specific areas being mentioned, but I like to think that a straight adaptation would pit John Rambo against the Madison County police at the Pinnacles in Berea. :uzi: 💀

Assuming both parts get made, I'm looking forward to Denis Villenueve's adaptation of Frank Herbert's Dune. Dune's probably my favorite fictional novel, and as much as I like David Lynch's movie (I watched it a lot when I was a kid), it sucks as an adaptation. I love the music, the cast, and the overall look, but too many of the characters (especially Paul and Baron Harkonnen) don't closely resemble their book counterparts, and the dialogue and plot are condensed so much that the story's pretty much rendered nonsensical. Denis Villenueve's cast looks great and he's obviously not going to have to cut as much as Lynch did because he's making two films. Also, Blade Runner 2049 showed that Villenueve's great at framing the huge, gorgeous scenes that Dune requires. I'll probably see it at Regal in Hamburg in Lexington on opening weekend.

A movie about Coach Rupp's long overdue too. We all know Coach Rupp was a weird, complex guy, and there's more than enough primary sources to make a great movie about his life that sets the record straight on the various misconceptions about his attitude and opinions. I don't know who could play Coach Rupp, Coach Hall, Coach Lancaster, Coach Reed, Pat Riley, and so on and so on, though.

“There wasn’t any racism in him. There wasn’t. All there was was a guy who wanted to win, who would take the best players, and I think he was judged on this subject harshly because he was a winner, he was a bigger-than-life character. Adolph is totally misrepresented in this whole concept when it comes to being a racist, He was not. I played for him, I know him.” -- Pat Riley

Anyway, what books do you want to see adapted into movies?
Into movies? I’d like to see if they could make a Brandon Sanderson book into a movie. Mistborn could make a fantasic (pun intended) movie with the right director. Somebody who could nail the political intrigue/heist plot, the magic system, and the gritty gothic feeling of Luthadel.

I’m cheating here but, done right his Stormlight Archive series would make a unique fantasy tv series.

Hollywood seems to not touch Lovecraft’s stories. Any of his short stories would make a pretty interesting movie.

Last edited:
Reactions: J_Dee
Would like to see HBO/Netflix/Amazon do justice to...

* The Stand
* The Dark Tower series
* Swan Song by Robert McCammon

....and in multi episode or in the case of The Stand and The Dark Tower, multi year series.
YES I’d like to see the Dark Tower and the Stand get proper adaptations! Is that to much to ask for, a good adaptation of a Stephen King book? Lol

I haven’t read Swan Song. Should I pick it up?

I hate reading. It has to be the most boring thing, outside of watching women's basketball, that there could be for me to do. I understand that a lot of people love reading a good book but I would rather be doing something else like golfing or going to the lake.

I hate reading. It has to be the most boring thing, outside of watching women's basketball, that there could be for me to do. I understand that a lot of people love reading a good book but I would rather be doing something else like golfing or going to the lake.

It definitely takes more mental effort and creativity, if not discipline to sit and read. I like golfing and sports more than reading these days, but the lake is just kind of ok. Got my fill of that in my younger years.

Some people pit their efforts towards physical activity and some towards cerebral activity. Some towards both. If it wasn't for writing, though, there would have been less advancement and few movies made.

With the way that holywood is making movies and has been that are based on books, I'd be fine with them not making another. I've seen enough.

I remember a teacher telling me a long time ago, there are two ways you can expand your mind, one is meeting new people and the other is reading. I have to meet people in my line of work however most of the time, I look past them as I truly do not enjoy meeting or being around people. So there for I like to read, a lot. I read one book after the other, different authors, different subjects. I can get lost inside a book and shut everything else in my life out and I have a pretty good life. However I understand how reading is not for everyone. It takes discipline and patience to sit alone reading a book. Reading is not the only thing I do in my spare time. it is just one of the things I enjoy. Excuse me while I get back to my current book.

I love reading. I (as well as the Mrs.) read a metric shit ton at the beach. There's just something about the solitude and nothing but the crashing of waves that helps me to immerse myself into a book. Of course, I also love fishing, hiking, and kayaking.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT