ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome back to UK, no longer UCal

K-GAR

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2004
First off, this is not a thread to bash Cal. What he did for 10 years is nearly unprecedented and he will forever have a place in my heart and all of BBN's heart. Having said that, the way he had to win was being the centerpiece, by being the face of the program and for nearly a decade that worked. Cal got UK back to the top because he drug the program to the finish line, he brought in the best players and the majority of the time they won and we watched with joy and we loved every minute of it, as we should have.

However, after today, it is very clear that we were not the University of Kentucky, we were the University of Calipari sponsored by the University of Kentucky Athletics Department, but a new day and a new regime is upon us and it is all about the name on the front again.

They intentionally brought out all the nostalgia today, so we would have that 90's UK feeling, and it worked... but it is also the core of being a member of the Big Blue Nation. Pope said it best, this is OUR team, it is a collective living breathing juggernaut backed by an administration and by the best fanbase on the planet. That was not here the last 5-6 years, but its back with a vengeance now.

I have no idea if Pope will win here and I'll be honest, I audibly gasped when I read about the hire and said "oh no what are we doing." Turns out that was more of a knee jerk reaction due to it seemingly coming out of nowhere. But, when 24,000 people show up to your press conference, I think it is safe to say that frustration subsided pretty fast.

Pope may be a new version of Rick Pitino, or he might fail, I really don't know. But what I do know, is every single thing about this hire from the moment it has been announced culminating in today's press conference, is that the UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY IS BACK to being the University that belongs to the fans, that belongs to the players and former players, it is a program that is back where it belongs, now Pope just has to go out there and win and he understand the assignment so I trust him and I would run through a wall for him. LETS F*****G GO!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News