ADVERTISEMENT

We are 12 years into the Cal era; how many NCs do you think we would have by now?

Cal has absolutely squandered 4
Should’ve won 2010 but couldn’t guard an injured Mazzula. Outcoached BAD by Huggie
Should’ve won 2011. No need to explain
Should’ve won 2014. Survived all the hard games then blew it, again UCONN.
Should’ve won 2015. Again, no explanation required.

We are battling for the all time lead, to stay ahead of Kansas for all time wins.
I thought 0~1 titles when Cal was hired, 2 at most. I doubt he ever sees number 2.

The thing is the best team doesn't always win.

This season the best team (Gonzaga) has been given like a 34% chance in various places.

So if you reason that he had the best teams in 10,12,and 15 (and we actually did NOT have the best team in 10) well then 1 in 3 is pretty much right in line with what the % would say a best team wins.

The thing is the best team doesn't always win.

This season the best team (Gonzaga) has been given like a 34% chance in various places.

So if you reason that he had the best teams in 10,12,and 15 (and we actually did NOT have the best team in 10) well then 1 in 3 is pretty much right in line with what the % would say a best team wins.

Right. Not to mention we came within a whisker of winning a title in 2014 with a team that flirted with not making the tournament at all.

Randomness gives and randomness takes away.

I thought we would have had 2, maybe 3.

I also had no idea Cal would face such an onslaught from the NCAA trying to slow him down through officiating, seeding, ineligibles, etc.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
I really liked the 2011 team, so that loss to UConn hurt, arguably way more than 2014 or even the 2015 loss to Wisconsin. I know UConn destroyed us in Maui, but I thought we'd win the rematch. Sadly, no one could shoot in that dome and we lose by one. But the run to that Final Four was one to remember.

2010 and 2015 also hurt because we had the better teams but Duke won the titles that year with squads we would've beaten (especially their 2010 team).

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Two. That would outpace the historical average and we were told to expect to do so. I’m not even mad about the close calls - gotta be there to even have a chance. I’m upset we’ve been nothing truly special between 2016-2021 with the exception of 2017. 2019 was pretty good but no shoo in (obviously), and 20 wasn’t near as good as they get credit for before the cancellation. 2016 and 2018 were generally wasted years - sorry a S16 doesn’t mean much around here.

3 minimum, but actually thought 4. Al got too caught up in changing generational poverty and forgot who was paying him to do what.

Considering UK has been preseason top 5 10 of the 12 years, and preseason top 2 for 7 of the 12 seasons, i thought we would have about 3. Even the 2 seasons we weren't ranked top 5, UK was preseason #11 in 2010-11 and preseason #10 this season.

Cal has absolutely squandered 4
Should’ve won 2010 but couldn’t guard an injured Mazzula. Outcoached BAD by Huggie
Should’ve won 2011. No need to explain
Should’ve won 2014. Survived all the hard games then blew it, again UCONN.
Should’ve won 2015. Again, no explanation required.

If we won in 2014 he would have been gone as would have the whole team that came back in 2015...

I honestly thought he would have won 3-4 by now.
Should definitely have 2 anyway.
So far, 12 years and 1 title looks like underachieving imo. Especially since K and Wright have 2 in that time frame.
Now I wonder if he can pull it together enough to make a FF. I'm not so sure he can.

Sure this year sucked but it seems people forget our 2020 team. If the tourney wasn't canceled that team would've gone far.

Should've won in 2010 more so than 2015 simply because we were the only dominant team in 2010. 2015 had 2.5 historically great teams.

Two. We pissed the bed in '10, '11, '14, '15, and '18. Should have won a title in one of those seasons. The Cal Era is like like a Stephen King novel. Usually a great story followed by a "meh" ending..

Reactions: RunninRichie
If we won in 2014 he would have been gone as would have the whole team that came back in 2015...

In a way wouldn’t this be better? We get two in 6 years, cal goes to the Lakers or whatever. We’re left as the hottest name in college basketball and could land a great coach. With the roster gutting it may take a few years, but we’d be back. Cal would be an untouchable legend.

I was hoping for at least 1 and he has met expectations in that regard. But its obvious he should have at least 1 more for sure (2015).

In 2010 I sincerely believed that in 12 years if Cal stuck around we’d have bare minimum 3 more titles, more likely 4. Oh well 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: drew_ukfan
Absolutely 2. Had Cal coached the game and played the right players, 2015 was a gimme. You could make the argument for the lack of adjustments against WV in the 2010 game as well.

The landscape has changed and we are no longer the “it” program. Without having the most talent, Cal can’t get us back there IMO.
If you think, as the coach, you would pull the two guards who had won you 38 straight games, you are an idiot with an agenda. Stop it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT