ADVERTISEMENT

Way too early predictions: Wooden Award Winner for 2015-16

Rhavicc

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2014
I figured I would try to get some discussion going. Who do you all think will be the Wooden Award winner next season? A lot of players that were in the race this year have moved on. Kaminsky, Okafor, WCS, Harrell, Russell, Anderson, Grant. A ton of players who were high level competitors last season will not be there next season. Ironically enough for us, the one returner that got a lot of buzz for it last season is, well, Kyle Wiltjer.
Who do you all think will be the top 3 frontrunners for the better part of the season? Who do you think will win?
Wiltjer will end up in the top 3, without a doubt, but I don't see him winning. I think the top two will actually come from the SEC.
Skal Labissiere and Ben Simmons. Both have the size and athleticism to dominate on the college level. Skal is the better defender, shot-blocker, and shooter. Simmons is the better playmaker, and I imagine he will be a superstar at the college level because of his size, and his versatility. He can play all 5 positions in college, and that's a dangerous thing to go up against.
Who do you think will be in the top 3? Who do you think wins it?

Skal IMO will win it but who knows Van fleet will be right there as well.

Van Vleet is in contention. Truly hoping that Ulis is able to beat him out for the best point guard in college next year. He just needs to put up more shots, but he'll get that opportunity. I don't think there's any question who is the better facilitator, but Van Vleet is an elite scorer. Just need Ulis to be the best of both worlds.
I think Skal has a very, very good chance at winning it though.

Derek Willis, done deal.

If he does win it, your post should be printed on a piece of paper and hung in the rafters, along with the banner that we would inevitably have.

Kyle Wiltjer will be in the conversation. Marcus Paige as well.

While I see why you would say that, he was very unimpressive last season. I just don't think he brings the necessary consistency to be the Wooden Award winner.

I expect it will be Paige or Wiltjer...they love to give this award to a senior when they can. In 2012 Anthony Davis was the obvious choice because there wasn't a great senior that year. If Paige leads UNC to an ACC championship and #1 seed he will be the favorite. But it's possible given the minutes Skal is going to get that he could outshine them all and win it. Briscoe could too. I don't see Ben Simmons getting it because nobody sees LSU play and they still will not be that good a team. Cheick Diallo may be more of a contender given what he did in the allstar games and the fact that Kansas will be good this year. I would also think Grayson Allen and Melo Trimble will be contenders.

Reactions: hotelblue
It could be a player like Melo Trimble or Georges Niang. Van Vleet will get some consideration, along with Wiltjer.

I expect it will be Paige or Wiltjer...they love to give this award to a senior when they can. In 2012 Anthony Davis was the obvious choice because there wasn't a great senior that year. If Paige leads UNC to an ACC championship and #1 seed he will be the favorite. But it's possible given the minutes Skal is going to get that he could outshine them all and win it. Briscoe could too. I don't see Ben Simmons getting it because nobody sees LSU play and they still will not be that good a team. Cheick Diallo may be more of a contender given what he did in the allstar games and the fact that Kansas will be good this year. I would also think Grayson Allen and Melo Trimble will be contenders.

Thomas Robinson... lol
Whether or not he's very average in the NBA, he was a very good college player, and was given consideration in the Wooden race. A lot of consideration. I just don't really know if either have the consistency to do it.
Wiltjer would have to dominate in a lot of OOC games, and in every tournament game up until that point because of Gonzaga, and the conference they're in.
And frankly, I just don't think Paige has it in him.

While I see why you would say that, he was very unimpressive last season. I just don't think he brings the necessary consistency to be the Wooden Award winner.

Paige played most of the season injured. I would think he has as good of a shot as anyone if he stays healthy.

Paige played most of the season injured. I would think he has as good of a shot as anyone if he stays healthy.

Well, for his sake, hopefully he's nice and healthy, and he stays that way. Inconsistency will cause anybody to lose.

If Skal wins it then we are in the think of things for a National title. I'm ok with that.

There is no way it will be Ben Simmons. It usually goes to a great player on at least a good team. LSU will stink as usual so he doesn't have a chance there. Take Jodie Meeks for instance, he was by far the best player in college baskeball that season and if we had been good he would have won hands down but because of the Billy G experience, we stunk and Jodie didn't win anything.

There is no way it will be Ben Simmons. It usually goes to a great player on at least a good team. LSU will stink as usual so he doesn't have a chance there. Take Jodie Meeks for instance, he was by far the best player in college baskeball that season and if we had been good he would have won hands down but because of the Billy G experience, we stunk and Jodie didn't win anything.

The kid is too good already, and LSU will at least make the tournament. He has a chance. Will easily be a top 3 player in CBB next season.

Reactions: BlueCat43

By far the best player? You definitely love you some Meeks for sure.

But, Griffin, Hardin, Curry, Hansbrough, and Ty Lawson all had a really good year.

He was sensational at times.

Obviously you only recall the UT game if you thought he was "sensational at times". He averaged 24 PPG, shot 47% from the field, 40% from 3 and 90% from the line. If he had played at Duke or Carolina with those numbers do you think he wouldn't have been POY?

Obviously you only recall the UT game if you thought he was "sensational at times". He averaged 24 PPG, shot 47% from the field, 40% from 3 and 90% from the line. If he had played at Duke or Carolina with those numbers do you think he wouldn't have been POY?

Kinda hard to tell, being that he didn't play at Duke or UNC.

Easy killer... Jodie? Is that you?

My memory isn't that great but I think I remember more than just that game.

Those two teams had many more scoring options than we did, he most likely doesn't start over Ellington at UNC and with Scheyer, SIngler and Henderson all averaging over 15 pts per game I doubt he gets 24 per at Duke either.

But yes if averaged that many points at one of those and they were semi-successful...Elite 8 or better, yes he probably would. Of course if we went to the E8 and not the NIT he could have here as well.

Although I think Griffin was the favorite most of the season.

He wouldn't have put those numbers up at those schools because there were players there that were better than he was. Griffin was the right choice that year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT