ADVERTISEMENT

Was Brookings Chili good?

HagginHall1999

All-American
Oct 19, 2018
Curious if anyone can share thoughts on this chili. I read in one of the threads about it a while back and decided to buy some of seasoning packets.

Any thoughts for those who've had in the past?

It wasn't reward winning or anything; it was just cheap and accessible and ingredient wise probably similar to skyline if I remember right. Hints of cinnamon but that was over 30 years ago.

Try it for yourself:

BROOKING’S CHILI 3 ½ pounds of ground sirloin or extra lean ground beef 2 cups chopped onion 38 ounces diced tomatoes and juice 2 cups water 2/3 cup triple sec 4 tablespoons tomato paste 4 tablespoons vinegar 6 tablespoons chili powder 2 teaspoons oregano 2 teaspoons salt 1 teaspoon garlic powder ½ teaspoon cumin 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce 2 cans Brooks mild chili beans In a large Dutch oven fry out the meat and onion, drain and return to pan. Add the chili powder, oregano, salt, garlic powder, cumin and tomato paste to the meat mixture and stir through. Add the tomatoes and juice, water, Triple Sec, vinegar and Tabasco sauce, bring to a simmer and cook for 2 hours over medium low heat. Add the beans the last 30 minute of cook time.

821107BrookingsdpA.jpg

Curious if anyone can share thoughts on this chili. I read in one of the threads about it a while back and decided to buy some of seasoning packets.

Any thoughts for those who've had in the past?
I had it many times. It was pretty good, but nothing super special. The place itself was cool, however, with a nice vibe.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
I graduated from UK in 1982 and that was probably the last time I bought a bowl at their restaurant. I purchased the mix at the link below last year. I can honestly say that I really liked it back in college. The mix was a disappointment. Didn't taste at all like I remembered. Or maybe it's just that everything tasted good to a poor college kid 41 years ago.

https://www.brookingschili.com/

Try it for yourself:

BROOKING’S CHILI 3 ½ pounds of ground sirloin or extra lean ground beef 2 cups chopped onion 38 ounces diced tomatoes and juice 2 cups water 2/3 cup triple sec 4 tablespoons tomato paste 4 tablespoons vinegar 6 tablespoons chili powder 2 teaspoons oregano 2 teaspoons salt 1 teaspoon garlic powder ½ teaspoon cumin 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce 2 cans Brooks mild chili beans In a large Dutch oven fry out the meat and onion, drain and return to pan. Add the chili powder, oregano, salt, garlic powder, cumin and tomato paste to the meat mixture and stir through. Add the tomatoes and juice, water, Triple Sec, vinegar and Tabasco sauce, bring to a simmer and cook for 2 hours over medium low heat. Add the beans the last 30 minute of cook time.

821107BrookingsdpA.jpg
Surprisingly this is about the only pic of the exterior.

Try it for yourself:

821107BrookingsdpA.jpg

Yep, going to give it a try

Reactions: cawoodsct
Brookings had me at Hudepohl. Id certainly walk in for a Hudy.

By the way, i think that's where WHODEY came from for Bengal fans. Hudepohl is made in Cincy and people in the stands at different games through the years would yell "Another HUDY!!!!!" or the guy selling would yell "Get your ice cold HUDY!!! and i think that transformed into what WHODEY! is today.

Brookings had me at Hudepohl. Id certainly walk in for a Hudy.

By the way, i think that's where WHODEY came from for Bengal fans. Hudepohl is made in Cincy and people in the stands at different games through the years would yell "Another HUDY!!!!!" or the guy selling would yell "Get your ice cold HUDY!!! and i think that transformed into what WHODEY! is today.

Made the Brookings last night. It was definitely Cincinnati style chili.

Maybe the restaurant was better, but it is not as good as Dixie, GS or Skyline. I've lived in NKY my whole life minus college years. Folks around here swear by Skyline but it doesn't hold a candle to Dixie or even GS IMHO.

Anyway, will eat the Brookings, not disappointed but not blown away either.

Reactions: cawoodsct
Made the Brookings last night. It was definitely Cincinnati style chili.

Maybe the restaurant was better, but it is not as good as Dixie, GS or Skyline. I've lived in NKY my whole life minus college years. Folks around here swear by Skyline but it doesn't hold a candle to Dixie or even GS IMHO.

Anyway, will eat the Brookings, not disappointed but not blown away either.
I’m sure it was your cooking. Get better.

• Haha
Reactions: HagginHall1999
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT