ADVERTISEMENT

War Room! (3.17.15) - Big Edition

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
It's been a little while since we've had a War Room! and there's a good reason for that. It's only March and Kentucky is over halfway to the finish line in terms of the final commitment count. There's always the possibility for turnover on that commit list, but the staff has put in major work and with spring practice starting up there's a bit of a lull. Maybe not for long ....

YOU WANT KENDALL NEWS?

You got it.

No timetable, but I have reason to believe Austin Kendall's recruitment could be winding down ... for good. That would be very good news for Kentucky.

We know that Kendall visited, again, very recently. Tennessee's efforts to keep Kendall on board were unsuccessful and since opening things up he's been linked to Kentucky, Auburn and Florida. I've got a pretty good pulse on this situation, both from sources close to Lexington and from those familiar with Kendall's end of it. Remember, we said Kendall was likely to decommit rather than flip. That happened.

Over time I've been hearing that the convergence of factors in Kentucky's favor is likely to win Kendall over for the Wildcats.

I'm still hearing that. Don't be surprised if Kendall visits again soon. If he does, that might signal the end.

I don't need to explain the significance. For context Drew Barker was a Rivals250, top 150 prospect. Kendall is top 30. He's out of state. It would be one of the biggest national recruiting stories of the entire year if Kentucky goes into North Carolina and reels in a near five-star, potential five-star quarterback.

IF KENTUCKY LANDS KENDALL (as I believe they will....)

I'm hearing that if Kentucky lands Kendall then they will not take another quarterback this year. That would be a wise move. The reason Kendall decommitted from Tennessee in the first place is, A) They took too many QB's, and B) That made him feel like less of a priority to them.

However, Kentucky is very likely to take two quarterbacks in the 2017 class. Depth has to be addressed. With Phillips' injury, Towles' limited eligibility by the time 2016 rolls around, and Barker not yet being proven, depth is an obvious issue. Of course, that lack of depth might win Kendall over. So it could be the best of both worlds -- the open depth chart attracting an elite talent, and then the possibility of adding to numbers the following year.

I have it from good authority that Messiah deWeaver was very, very interested in Kentucky. It's not like it was a slam dunk he would lean to Michigan State. Kentucky's decision to move all in on Kendall was a gamble, but the kind of gamble you have to make in recruiting. We'll see if it pays off ... I think it will. But everyone I've spoken with tells me that UK would have had a very good shot at deWeaver if they hadn't gone in on Kendall.

OFFENSIVE TACKLE TALK

I'm hearing there are four offensive tackles that Kentucky would realistically accept commitments from today, but there is only one spot -- so it will be the best available. The players?

Stone Forsythe -- Big kid who attends Garrett Johnson's old school. Kentucky leads for him.
Alex Gellerstedt -- This Ohio kid is blowing up. Stanford, Oregon, Ohio State ... all are at least exploring. Easy to understand. He's 6-foot-7, 255 pounds and a great athlete.
Darius Harper - Another Ohio kid, a really good athlete. Not sure if he's a football or basketball guy yet, though.
Alaric Jackson - Michigan kid they recently offered. Also a basketball player.

All would be excellent pickups so really it's take your pick. If I had to guess I'd say Forsythe is the most likely at the present time. We will see.

NOT DONE IN OHIO

I'm hearing that Kentucky may ultimately get upwards of a dozen Ohio kids in this class if you count Kayaune Ross, who is from Lakota West.

Alex Gellerstedt, Darius Harper, Ethan Tucky, Griffin Grady, Anthony Johnson ... just some of the guys they're still in on. Wouldn't completely write off Malik Jefferson (although not sure what position he would play - same is somewhat true of Johnson). Haven't heard as much about Sean Mahone. Jonah Morris is a nice athlete but I think UK has slowed a bit - he could end up at Pitt.

Of course, Vince Marrow is killing it there. But there are a couple of other factors at work.

1) Most of UK's Ohio commitments/targets have camped at UK or the coaches have seen them in person. For those wondering why they've taken so many, I'd simply say watch the film, but also this --- why is Stoops taking them? Because he's seen those guys on film/in camp/in games and they were better than a lot of the players from elsewhere.
2) Andy Buh has a history at Wisconsin and is familiar with the Midwest's lay of the land as regards recruiting. He's got a very high opinion of Ohio talent and is high on a lot of guys UK has taken there. I'm not saying this guy has any more clout than anybody else on the staff, but I do believe that Buh is very well-respected as a coach, as an evaluator, and as someone in this chosen profession. He's a great asset in many regards because of his varied experience. Also, Shannon Dawson has a big history of recruiting in Ohio and he likes a lot of the guys that Kentucky has been recruiting up there.

So while Marrow is the guy getting these commitments, Dawson and Buh have given UK more of an "Ohio voice" so to speak, and I think they like a lot of the players up that way. After last year, I believe Stoops may be a bit more inclined to give preference to Ohio guys, who are more local and more likely to stick.

Ohio State is going to get pretty much who Ohio State wants in Ohio. Beyond that, the staff still feels like they can beat most anybody. They won't go head to head with Michigan or Notre Dame too much. But they still feel like they can beat out Michigan State more often than not. The Dowell twins affected many people's opinion in that regard, but I'm told that the staff believes they will beat out MSU more often than not.

Also, I recently reported on Ruben Flowers, a receiver from Ohio. Apparently his junior film is just not as impressive as folks would have liked. His sophomore film apparently looks good and that's what the basis for high opinions and hopefulness re: his future is. But the common belief is he did not have a great year last year based on film. He will have a chance to make a comeback this summer/fall.

Tucky had a great talk with Marrow and also Buh the other night. UK will respect his space, I'm hearing, but they also want to put the full court press on and get him on campus again soon ... so read into that what you will. He likes UK a lot.

SUMMING UP NEW TERRITORIES

One of the story lines of this recruiting cycle is the new territories. Kentucky will continue to recruit Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, etc., but we're seeing more of an emphasis on the Mid-Atlantic, on New Jersey, even on Illinois ... and now on Michigan.

I'm told Corey Malone-Hatcher is one of the top players in that state for 2017 with some huge offers already (profile here) but I'm also hearing he's got significant family ties to the Commonwealth and there's a common belief UK can at the very least be on the short list. The staff will be selective in Michigan, but they will also take a shot here or there where they feel it's warranted.

In New Jersey it's been simply catch-up with the recent offers. Not much movement yet although receiver Hasise Dubois, a very good player and a four-star prospect, has UK on his short list. That said, remember, it took Mainord a while to lay the groundwork for a more positive reception in the Mid-Atlantic.

It will be interesting to see what kind of 'splash' Kendall would make in North Carolina. It wouldn't change the landscape in that state but it could cause a ripple effect in that area and around Charlotte with a player or two like 2017's J.T. Cauthen and cause them to take a closer look.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News