ADVERTISEMENT

Walk on

How is a walk on brought in? By recruiting or what? How many does a team get?
No specific means. Some schools have tryouts. Some are “preferred” walk ons that are actually semi-recruited. And sometimes walk ons land their spot simply because their daddies are well-connected rich boosters or friends with coach.

It’s all up to the coach. He decides who gets walk on spots, and how they’re chosen.

Reactions: TFCats11
Hey man, I dunked in a game once. 36 years ago.

Heck yeah man!! I was able to do a rim grazer but never enough to dunk in a game. Back when I played, I was a mid range machine, they weren’t a 3 line when I played. I think the 3 point line was added a year or 2 after I graduated.

Reactions: chroix
No specific means. Some schools have tryouts. Some are “preferred” walk ons that are actually semi-recruited. And sometimes walk ons land their spot simply because their daddies are well-connected rich boosters or friends with coach.

It’s all up to the coach. He decides who gets walk on spots, and how they’re chosen.
Some are guys that graduate so Cal can say he had 15 guys graduate in the years he was here

In the Cal Era you just needed to be some rich dudes kiddo.

Hope they bring in a project or someone needing to redshirt

They fouled your hump.

0aaf3645ffba6e480c0c9c862bf7250b.gif

I believe there was a walk on in the 90's that actually was a really good player good shooter Jared Polson was good too

Ideally you want preferred walkons who are at least serviceable in practice, not friends of the family who have no business being on the roster.
Bullshit. Walk ons are just that, walk ones. I get you hate Cal, but bitching about his walk on players ? LOL. VERY FEW walk ons every amount to more than mop up duty. Do you have any players who would have better served as the cheerleaders on the side line ? Because what I seen, they guys Cal had was all very good teammates and cheered like hell LOL. If you are signing walk ons and hoping they become starters, well I can tell you two things, 1. you are doing it the hard way when you just as easily sign quality players for the end of the bench, and 2. You will have a very bad success rate because your teams will suck.

I believe there was a walk on in the 90's that actually was a really good player good shooter Jared Polson was good too
Cameron Mills walked on for 2 years I believe before getting a scholarship his last 2 years.

Our best 90's 4 year walk-on was Junior Braddy, who walked on and ended up averaging about 12mpg his senior year. Played baseball at UK and ended up in the Red Sox system for a few years before playing independent ball a number of years.

Too lazy to look it up but,, don't think you can recruit a walk on.. If do then he has to go on scholarship after that if he chooses your university.. Something like that..
You can recruit a walk-on. Happens all the time. These guys usually get preferred walk on spots.

Reactions: JASUN74
It's often a lot of politics involved. Look at Cal's walk-ons.

Hey, remember when Billy had like seven walk-ons?

Cameron Mills walked on for 2 years I believe before getting a scholarship his last 2 years.

Our best 90's 4 year walk-on was Junior Braddy, who walked on and ended up averaging about 12mpg his senior year. Played baseball at UK and ended up in the Red Sox system for a few years before playing independent ball a number of years.
Forgot about Cameron but there was another walk on that played for Rick can't remember his name

Bullshit. Walk ons are just that, walk ones. I get you hate Cal, but bitching about his walk on players ? LOL. VERY FEW walk ons every amount to more than mop up duty. Do you have any players who would have better served as the cheerleaders on the side line ? Because what I seen, they guys Cal had was all very good teammates and cheered like hell LOL. If you are signing walk ons and hoping they become starters, well I can tell you two things, 1. you are doing it the hard way when you just as easily sign quality players for the end of the bench, and 2. You will have a very bad success rate because your teams will suck.
I want the best players on the floor from wherever and don’t care where they are from, but as far as walk ons who won’t contribute, I want KY kids…it will change their life.

I’d rather see a kid from bum Ef KY that never gets in get a senior night than Brian Long and Riley Welch

Different strokes I guess. I have never really gave walk ons much thought and won't. All I care about is the rotation of players who will make a difference. Just like the last man on a football roster, don't care to know his name. Nothing against the kids, it is a great honor for some like you stated, and i see your point, but I will not lose any sleep where they came from or if they ever play.

I hate to break it to you. But the walk on guys that Rick had while he coached here would mop the court with those that Cal had.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT