ADVERTISEMENT

View From Section 103

aikenite4uk

Senior
Oct 13, 2009
Had a great seat for the carnage. What struck me during warm ups was how big and strong SC looked compared to us....lots of older grown men out there. Player observations:
1. Reeves. Just not an elite athlete, which we already knew. Poor lateral quickness and got owned taking it to the hoop. Crafty shooter. Shot it poorly tonite.
2. Edwards. He gets the spectator award along with another guy (Reed). Just seemed to be an observer out there. Doesn't look like he's in great shape. Why he got 23 minutes is beyond me.
3. Bradshaw. I thought he was awful. Gets pushed around with ease.
4. Mitchell. Crafty but not very athletic. Played decent.
5. DJ. Took a lot of poor shots...doesn't look for shooters when he drives the lane and it isn't there. Not as athletic in person as I thought he'd be.
6. Dilly. Of all our guys, he's the only one who looked the part of a sure fire NBA prospect. Great hops and athleticism. Shot the ball well. A few bonehead plays of course.
7. Sheppard. Did absolutely nothing. Looked scared when he got in the game. Never seemed to want the ball. Looked like a 4 year guy. He's not exactly cut up himself and needs to drop a few pounds and work on his body.
8. Ugonna. He's was terrible.
9. Z ....Looked like a guy who thought it was going to be easy and found out he was in a rock fight. 10 minutes? C'mon Cal he's your best big.

Gotta give SC some props...they shot the ball extremely well and fed off the home crowd. Better days ahead for the Cats hopefully, but this was a reality check in terms of our ceiling. Cal needs to determine how he wants to play. The two 7 footers on the floor (wrong ones of course) experiment was a disaster.

I was across from you Section 109 row 5. SC was much stronger and just bullied UK. They were upset the Blue Mist was in their gym and had already proclaimed victory. Refs let them play that meant SC was paint on UK and UK gave their players a 2ft berth. SC coach knew how to defend and where to attack UK for sure.

Had a great seat for the carnage. What struck me during warm ups was how big and strong SC looked compared to us....lots of older grown men out there. Player observations:
1. Reeves. Just not an elite athlete, which we already knew. Poor lateral quickness and got owned taking it to the hoop. Crafty shooter. Shot it poorly tonite.
2. Edwards. He gets the spectator award along with another guy (Reed). Just seemed to be an observer out there. Doesn't look like he's in great shape. Why he got 23 minutes is beyond me.
5. DJ. Took a lot of poor shots...doesn't look for shooters when he drives the lane and it isn't there. Not as athletic in person as I thought he'd be.
6. Dilly. Of all our guys, he's the only one who looked the part of a sure fire NBA prospect. Great hops and athleticism. Shot the ball well. A few bonehead plays of course.
7. Sheppard. Did absolutely nothing. Looked scared when he got in the game. Never seemed to want the ball. Looked like a 4 year guy. He's not exactly cut up himself and needs to drop a few pounds and work on his body.
9. Z ....Looked like a guy who thought it was going to be easy and found out he was in a rock fight. 10 minutes? C'mon Cal he's your best big.

Gotta give SC some props...they shot the ball extremely well and fed off the home crowd. Better days ahead for the Cats hopefully, but this was a reality check in terms of our ceiling. Cal needs to determine how he wants to play. The two 7 footers on the floor (wrong ones of course) experiment was a disaster.
With regard to Z it’s almost like Cal thinks if he just plays him 10 to 15 minutes per game from here on out he can keep him around for next year or something. This dude is without a doubt going in the first round and possibly going in the lottery. Give him at least 20 minutes per game and see if he can bring back some of that magic. He certainly has some defensive lapses, but which of our centers don’t?

I think you’re being a little hard on Bradshaw. He’s not built for a bunch of 5th year physical guys but I thought he played hard . If everyone would have fought like him and Dillingham it would have been a more competitive game .
Fair point. He did mix it up, but his inside defense wasn't very effective.

Reactions: yoshukai
Fair point. He did mix it up, but his inside defense wasn't very effective.
He did play as hard as I have seen him play this year. I think Z’s coming out party against GA gave him a wake-up call that he has to play harder at least. As for Z, 10 minutes was a joke. He didn’t look great but never really got in the flow of things and cal did him no favors with the quick hook. Sadly this team is just never going to be what they should be because of cal.

1-9 Should be Cal, Cal, Cal, Cal,...

It's not a players issue. It never has been.

With regard to Z it’s almost like Cal thinks if he just plays him 10 to 15 minutes per game from here on out he can keep him around for next year or something. This dude is without a doubt going in the first round and possibly going in the lottery. Give him at least 20 minutes per game and see if he can bring back some of that magic. He certainly has some defensive lapses, but which of our centers don’t?
Cal doesn't try to keep players around. Don't you know that?

Reactions: NociHTTP
Top 3 players are: Sheppard, Rob, Z.

If those 3 get the most minutes we will go to the final four minimum. If he Devin Booker’s them them sweet 16 is the ceiling. Well, the roof is the ceiling is what I’m saying.

And yet many fans - especially here - think teams like Houston are overrated and UK would handle them. Do you realize what makes Houston a good team? They're grown ass men. They would manhandle this group and people here would blame refs or act shocked.

And Edey would go for 30/20 against UK, so drop the "bring on Purdue, they're no good" BS, too.

Reactions: NociHTTP
If there's any silver lining, almost all of these guys are playing themselves into being 2nd year players.

I wouldn't touch DJ at all if I'm an NBA team, he's got a lot more work to do.

This could wind up being Dilly and... and... Big Z? But he did what I was afraid he was going to do, and show that Saturday night was a bit of an aberration. Bradshaw? NBA loves size.. but he's still very shaky.

If there's any silver lining, almost all of these guys are playing themselves into being 2nd year players.

This could wind up being Dilly and... and... Big Z? But he did what I was afraid he was going to do, and show that Saturday night was a bit of an aberration. Bradshaw? NBA loves size.. but he's still very shaky.
2nd year where? If they can get drafted Cal pushes them out. Always has happened and will continue to happen. They need to come back or they will be overseas soon or hanging in the G League

Reactions: catzcan

Most don't come back. Haven't we learned that yet. Getting to the NBA is mostly about athleticism and not about play on the court.

Reactions: Lazlo7
2nd year where? If they can get drafted Cal pushes them out. Always has happened and will continue to happen. They need to come back or they will be overseas soon or hanging in the G League

Most don't come back. Haven't we learned that yet. Getting to the NBA is mostly about athleticism and not about play on the court.

Yeah, I'm not saying they will be HERE.. just that they are trending downwards of being drafted. Honestly I really only want Reed back. The others are take em' or leave 'em.

In some ways I'm actually a little more concerned about DJ. Edwards confidence is just shot, and this wasn't his year.. move on to next season. DJ though, is not playing SMART basketball. He's turning it over, hes not running the offense, yet hes fine making sure he gets his FGA and looks for his shot before passing. That's more troublesome to me than a player who just isn't ready for this level.

I'll be watching DJ a lot more closely, but I dont like what im seeing, well before last nights game.

What struck me during warm ups was how big and strong SC looked compared to us....lots of older grown men out there.
If you look at the F4 teams the past few years they all have that physicality. As the season goes on more contact is allowed usually. The only team (Duke) to make a F4 recently with several freshman in the rotation had guys that were all stout. Their 2g was 220, Banchero was 250. We are not going anywhere continuing to recruit skinny soft bigs and perimeter guys that can't shoot or dibble.

Can we keep the players and send Cal to the NBA instead?

PS. I know we can't as he is not athletic and does not have much potential.

I think you’re being a little hard on Bradshaw. He’s not built for a bunch of 5th year physical guys but I thought he played hard . If everyone would have fought like him and Dillingham it would have been a more competitive game .
Agree. He had 8 rebounds. He was at least trying.

Bradshaw busted his butt . Wagner was looking for his shots all night - wish he would have looked for a rebound- played 30 minutes didn’t pick up a scrap

DJ, Bradshaw,Edwards, Dilly ,Z all are gone regardless of draft status. Burks transfers .

Don't do this to yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT