ADVERTISEMENT

Very good win but.....

Teams that rely on bombing threes all game can make games close in no time and you’ll lose some of those. But it’s a fickle plan, we’ve beat some teams that do that in MSU and Auburn. I don’t see a problem as the most difficult team to guard is one bombing from three.

I agree with you. You look at some of these post after a game and ya wonder if this is the first game they ever watched

I think the issue is that people tend to forget there's another team out there trying to win.

I mean we are going into a game where Vegas says we are 3 points better than they are on their court and we find ourselves up 15 at the half.

Of course they were going to mount a comeback. They got embarrassed in that first half in front of their home crowd.

What impresses me is they came all the way back, cut it to 1.......and we responded.

Some poster just can't bring themselve's to compliment this team......how many of the top teams would have withered in today's game? This was a great test for our CATS.......I give them many kudos for not wilting when MSU turned up the heat......I am not a basketball expert but I am impressed with this team's moxy.....
Exactly!

Our guys MUST find the killer instinct and put teams away when we have such a big lead. There’s no way in hell with the way our Cats can play D that a 17-20 pt lead should be gone in 8 mins! EJ had one of his worst games to date, KJ played terribly until the last 8-9 mins, Ashton had some uncharacteristic to’s, and Quickley didn’t even show up today and we still got the W on the road!!! All we need now is to learn to put em away at whatever cost! Helluva stretch over the last 10 games!!! GO BIG BLUE!

Just the way it goes alot of times on the road. Really hard to put the home team away when they're a pretty good team. I see your point though, just trying to be positive.

we have won 10 games in a row, 5 on the road. beat 3 ranked teams in that stretch.

yet fans are questing the teams killer instinct....wtf are you looking at.....

We blew an 18 point lead (not debateable) what are you looking at? We responded well after they cut the lead to 3 but ideally you never want a comfortable 2nd half lead cut that close.

It happens. Glad we were able to hold them off. SEC road wins against good teams aren't easy to come by, and I think clearly this team has the right attitude about things. Nothing to see here.

Exactly. They play us tough down there damn near every time. Even the best teams in our storied history had trouble winning at The Hump.

Let's see, 1996, 2010 and 2012 all come to mind off the top of my head.
Don't forget the 1978 team. We were up by 15-16 at halftime and had to hold on. Ending up winning by ten but it was a lot closer than that in the second half.

I agree. Better UK teams have lost in Starkville. This one didn’t.
I think it was in 1981 or '82 when we were ranked in the Top Five and lost down there to a Mississippi State team that had won about 5-6 games all season.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
eh, it was a road win against a good team. If this was Georgia or A&M, I'd be down a bit but Ms St wanted this game and fought for it. We held them off. This time of the year this is a big win.
Exactly, State had just let one get away at home their last game. You had to know they were going to play desperate and give us their best shot and they did in the second half. Not saying we played great, but it's a win on the road in a hostile environment against a top 30 team when we weren't at our best.

The way MSU played in the 2nd half, that's the kind of intensity we will see in the tournament. Good experience for our guys.

Responded pretty well late in the game.

A win on the road is always big.

We blew an 18 point lead (not debateable) what are you looking at? We responded well after they cut the lead to 3 but ideally you never want a comfortable 2nd half lead cut that close.

The mere fact that we had 18 point leads at Miss St and at Auburn shows just how good this team is to begin with.

I like the fact that this team was good enough to build an 18 point lead on the road against a good team. I also like the fact that this team is tough enough to stave off a good Miss State team run after an 18 point lead was cut to 1, the crowd fired up, all the momentum against them on the road. It is toughness like that needed in the tournament in crunch time.

The good news: This team seems to be very responsive to coaching. Cal's going to tell them this is what happens when you're up 18 and let your foot off the gas.

Did you watch the game......? It wasn't that UK let up.......MSU came out and started playing much better defense. Then their shooter got going....no surprise at home......in my mind this was a great win.....

Ideally? This is a team that is growing before our eyes.....ideally they all peak at the same time and win the last six games of the year.......to expect them to play a perfect game this time of the season is .....unreasonable......They are learning man........

Always the negative...you could look at it as a positive experience bc they had a lead, lost it, got in serious foul trouble, with the best player fouling out and still came out with a win. That experience goes a lot further than beating everyone by 30...different environments, different challenges. That's how you get better. I understand I'm talking to someone with a common demeanor of a UK fan tho. Remember most on this board quit on a young team a couple weeks in the season and were ready to jump off a bridge bc they thought 10 plus losses...like ppl knee jerk and then forget about every year towards the end of the season.

For some reference the 2012 team, you know pretty good, with the best player in college and ranked number 1 was down at unranked miss state and won by 9. I hope they figured that unacceptable play out....

They went up on Kentucky by 10, playing out of there minds.. Arnett Moultree was dominating Davis and Jones both down low, then Rodney Hood suffered that freak broke leg for State and that just seemed to kill them, never could get momentum back afterward..

Our guys MUST find the killer instinct and put teams away when we have such a big lead. There’s no way in hell with the way our Cats can play D that a 17-20 pt lead should be gone in 8 mins! EJ had one of his worst games to date, KJ played terribly until the last 8-9 mins, Ashton had some uncharacteristic to’s, and Quickley didn’t even show up today and we still got the W on the road!!! All we need now is to learn to put em away at whatever cost! Helluva stretch over the last 10 games!!! GO BIG BLUE!

Ever UK coach since the beginning of the game has had this problem. Moreover, It is a lamentation that attaches to every coach whose team has blown a huge lead. These guys ain’t robots.

Reactions: awf
Hated that 2nd half for the most part but this team made enough plays down the stretch to get the win. Some of it is on the guys but after all these years with Cal, I know he’s going to slow things down, go inside and try to shorten possessions with a double digit lead. Especially on the road. This team may be Cal proof. They have a blue collar attitude on defense and a will to win with PJ, Hagans and Herro.

So when Cal slows it down, they get snake bit but not enough to lose it. Reminds me a bit of the ‘12 team when it comes to bending but not breaking.

“This team may be Cal proof?” Even in a win, the haters can’t hold back.

Reactions: awf
Their defense and the three point line got them back in the game in the second half. They were 0-4 in the first half and 7-12 in the second half.

Reactions: westerncat
Ideally? This is a team that is growing before our eyes.....ideally they all peak at the same time and win the last six games of the year.......to expect them to play a perfect game this time of the season is .....unreasonable......They are learning man........

Who said anyone expects perfection? However, This team has way too much talent to give up a 19-2 run. As stated they did respond well after that but the response should have come after the 7-0 run. No matter how it played out it was a great win on the road.

“This team may be Cal proof?” Even in a win, the haters can’t hold back.

That’s not being a “hater.” I give Cal all the credit in the world for getting this team to buy in defensively. What we looked like in Nov and Dec are night and day from where we are today. But Cal is not perfect. One of his biggest faults is stall ball when he has big leads. On the road and in the tournament. And it has cost him. He did it in the title game in ‘12 but that team made plays down the stretch and overcame it. I will never forget the block by MKG that if he doesn’t make, may have changed the outcome of the game. I see similarities with this squad. They make the plays they need to when teams make a run to bend but not break.

Last edited:
Reactions: crestcat
Their defense and the three point line got them back in the game in the second half. They were 0-4 in the first half and 7-12 in the second half.
And they actually ended up shooting a better percentage than we did from the three, although the numbers made were even. We let them get back in the game with missed FT's and turnovers, plus they started making shots they didn't in the first half.

Just the way it goes alot of times on the road. Really hard to put the home team away when they're a pretty good team. I see your point though, just trying to be positive.
Wish I had a nickel for every time I've seen this scenario in watching for over 50 years. I've seen dozens of times where we raced out to big leads on another team's home court only to hold on at the end.

A key turning point in my opinion was when RT lost the rebound to a MSU player in the second half with us up 18, resulting in a quick MSU three. We had the ball with a chance to go up 20, but that play started the run.

Always good to get a road win, as we see across the country, it's damn hard and so many factors to deal with that make it difficult. Realize there were a few poor calls but I've actually thought the SEC officiating has been improved this year--in that you see them letting guys play. No way in hell in the past does that hoop PJ Washington scored with Cats up 1 against a horrific flop NOT get called. I was stunned they didn't blow the whistle on Keldon Johnson's blocked shot late as well--he didn't foul but on the road expecting that whistle.

Saying that, completely understand why Cal was on them hard after the game. The next step for this team is to dominate--and that means taking that 18 pt lead and pushing it to 26....and they did take a step back. Wish they'd really play aggressive/attack when they have a lead but reserved to fact Calipari is never going to let that happen. Thought he showed signs of allowing the offense to go in the Vandy game and while Vandy is a lesser opponent then Mississippi State, it's the style of play that carries over more then opponent. Let them attack when they are up.

Little thing I don't understand late (not just UK games)--if you are up 2 possessions, why not run people off the 3pt line? Don't care how deep-force the 2, if they hit you are up at least a possession (if 5 pt lead) or 2 (if up 6 or more) but everyone retreats, hand down and allows the 3. It's beyond frustrating to not see teams use their offensive advantage for defense.

UK related--situational wise, after Keldon blocked and secured the ball/passes to Hagans--he has to realize he had Herro next to him and get ball to him. Always want the best FT shooter on the team with ball late. Realize Hagans is a warrior and competitive and he hit the 1 shot-but pushing things to improve, little details have to become mastered and as Cal said, you lose now, got games left, lose next month, it's all over. Tighten this stuff up and this team takes a huge step.

Dunno if I agree. As I just mentioned, other than their steals, I think we had no more than maybe 2-3 TOs all game. Impressive imo...

Gonna watch it again tpday.
We only had nine but at inopportune times, and mostly in the paint.

Reactions: gocatsdotuk
We only had nine but at inopportune times, and mostly in the paint.
Just saw the replay and we had four turnovers, one blocked shot and only one FG during their run. They scored either FG's or FT's on 10 of 12 possessions. All of that started when Travis lost the ball on a rebound when we were up 49-31 and they hit a three. I thought he got fouled but that's not a call we get on the road.

Reactions: crawfords corner
Just rewatched...

MSU came back in 5:30 mins approx.
15:48 to 10:18ish which included:

MSU steal
MSU Bucket +3
MSU steal off Hagans dribble in paint
No bucket
UK foul
MSU +2
UK Foul
MSU +2
UK Foul
MSU +2
UK TO (EJ)
No points
UK Bucket +2 (Herro)
MSU +3
MSU steal
No points
UK TO (Hagans walk)
No points
UK foul
MSU +2 (dunk)
MSU block/STEAL (on KJ shot)
UK foul (Hagans)
MSU +2

MSU down only 4 now.

Last edited:
So they came back from:

3 MSU STEALs
5 UK FOULS
&
2 UK TOs

Rewatching, we played flat, they were tougher, wanted it more. The refs sucked.

We got control and won

'Nuff said.
And three missed FT's; two by Montgomery and one by P.J. They also got back into the game by making their FT's. Did you count the block on KJ as a turnover? That was a big play as well?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT