ADVERTISEMENT

Utah sports writer likes UK's chances with J Robinson

I wouldn't do that if I were Pope. This could easily be seen as another form of Calipari recruiting over players. That could backfire.

Who cares as long as UK wins big.

These 2 players will significantly increase UKs chances of winning big.

If a player leaves because he's afraid of competing we don't need that player anyways.

I think the concept of being “recruited over” as a bad or even immoral tactic has pretty much lost its meaning in the transfer portal era.

When a freshman was “recruited over” and had no recourse but to finish his first year, then transfer and sit out the next year, it was a real blow to kids. When you can be “recruited over” on Monday, enter the portal on Tuesday and be with another program Wednesday, it is hardly a life—crushing hardship.

Last edited:
If you can get both, you get both. Also, Pope has definitively said he wants to fill all 13 scholarships.
He said that he would definitely use two but would probably hold on to the last in case someone else came along later. I guess that might mean Robinson withdrawing from the draft.

I think it ends up being a moot point because Robinson stays in the draft.

I think the concept of it being wrong or even immoral to “recruit over” players has pretty much lost its meaning in the transfer portal era.

When a freshman was “recruited over” and had no recourse but to finish his first year, then transfer and sit out the next year, it was a real blow to kids. When you can be “recruited over” on Monday, enter the portal on Tuesday and be with another program Wednesday, it is hardly a life—crushing hardship.
I get what you're saying, but even if the circumstances are different I still think it's "wrong". I mean a kid thinks enough of you and your program to sign with you, eliminating their other options, and you're going to just sign someone who could replace them? I do see it both ways. Maybe I feel this way more so now because I feel that Pope truly cares about UK and the kids he coaches, more so than Calipari. That's why I would NEVER be able to make it in that business.

He said that he would definitely use two but would probably hold on to the last in case someone else came along later. I guess that might mean Robinson withdrawing from the draft.

I think it ends up being a moot point because Robinson stays in the draft.
I agree that Robinson will probably stay in the draft. Apparently someone reported that if he can get a second round evaluation, he would stay in the draft. Of course, he did say 'technically, he isn’t my coach anymore. As of right now, at least.'

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I agree that Robinson will probably stay in the draft. Apparently someone reported that if he can get a second round evaluation, he would stay in the draft. Of course, he did say 'technically, he isn’t my coach anymore. As of right now, at least.'
He wants multiple guarantees not just one. There is a huge difference from 1 guarantee and 3 guarantees is what he is seeking. NBA scouts love his game though. We will see, we will see.

Go Cats

I wouldn't do that if I were Pope. This could easily be seen as another form of Calipari recruiting over players. That could backfire.
I agree with this. We take the first available and save the last spot for something unforeseen.
I believe Oweh is our starting SG and a potential All-conference player. The Butler/Oweh backcourt is going to cause lots of SEC guards problems.

I think the concept of being “recruited over” as a bad or even immoral tactic has pretty much lost its meaning in the transfer portal era.

I agree with your statement, it’s dog eat dog now with these guys. It’s a Business

I think Lanier or Robinson. Coach said he would likely only add two more for this team and that was before Almonor committed. So I think it’s either Lanier or Robinson, not both.
He also said he would leave that one for later, someone as a project or someone late. I think Jaxson would be considered the late addition. If Pope can get both then he will get both. I bet he has not promised anyone anything other than NIL money. He will put the best 5 on the floor and back them up with the 2nd best 5.

Reactions: JASUN74
I believe the first to commit will be the only one we get. The other player will want to be "The Man" at the school he chooses. Robinson, like others have said, is most likely to stay in the draft. If he was pulling out, I don't believe Lanier would even visit UK.

The BYU situation with both Lanier AND Robinson is intriguing. They hired a real "Up and Comer" NBA assistant that is supposed to be an offensive whiz, so that is why both of these 2 are considering them. Robinson already being there makes them a rival for him only because he would NOT have to move again if he decided to withdraw from the draft. I read an article a month ago that BYU would be our ONLY competition for him if he decided to come back to college.

I agree with this. We take the first available and save the last spot for something unforeseen.
I believe Oweh is our starting SG and a potential All-conference player. The Butler/Oweh backcourt is going to cause lots of SEC guards problems.
Oweh may be the best perimeter guy we have right now on both sides of the ball.

A lineup with Butler/Oweh/Williams together looks to be a disruptive unit defensively.

You have to play the game. You can't be this tight with roster formation, not with NIL and immediate transfer rules. If Robinson committing is that much of a hangup for a current player, then you do right by him, apologize for the inconvenience this created let him out of his commitment.

We shouldn't be doing what Kansas is doing, where Self literally is just recruiting over everyone at all times.. but Jaxson was seen as a likely target from the get-go.

G Butler
G Lanier or Robinson
G Oweh
F Carr
F Williams

That should be a pretty balanced lineup.
You really could go with a lineup with Lanier at the point if you want to put Brea in there and really put out an unguardable lineup

g - Lanier
g - Brea
f - Oweh
f - Carr
c - Williams

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT