ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Johnell Davis(new update-highest bidder will secure Davis)

Michigan is on trimester system and it is hard to transfer there from a semester system.

Reactions: Fox2monk
It is weird to care about academics anymore, but at the same time, you’d be doing a massive disservice to these players if he didn’t uphold reasonable academic standards.

And it’s not like they have to major in aerospace engineering or pre med. Unless they have a real passion for something I would steer every player towards sports marketing/journalism or a business degree. That way they can develop skills off the court that could help them land and maintain a steady, well paying career if anything should happen to their body or if they under perform and don’t make it or stick in the league. A business degree would come with a lot of classes that teach young folks how to manage their income and would be an incredible asset to any future professional athlete so they minimize their odds of growing broke.

But I guess valuing a free college education is old fashioned now. Some degrees are never worth it and I get that, but there are a lot of worthwhile degrees and classes that would be a huge benefit to these guys.

But I also understand these a lot of these guys don’t want to be seen as spelling bee contestants.

Jerry Jones GIF by SB Nation

Michigan is no joke regarding academics. They can often "figure it out" for freshmen, but apparently credit transfers for corresponding degree programs are a brick wall there.

Hope Pope puts on a full court press now.
Michigan has incredibly strong academics. Yes, they have great athletics, but Michigan has one of the most prestigious genetics and biomedical science departments in the world. Some of their research is literally on a need-to-know basis. It wouldn't surprise me if their systems are hardened against cyber infiltration. Some of their stuff is incredibly cutting-edge. Plus, they have a full, kickass science museum on campus. Academic hang-ups don't surprise me.

It is weird to care about academics anymore, but at the same time, you’d be doing a massive disservice to these players if he didn’t uphold reasonable academic standards.

And it’s not like they have to major in aerospace engineering or pre med. Unless they have a real passion for something I would steer every player towards sports marketing/journalism or a business degree. That way they can develop skills off the court that could help them land and maintain a steady, well paying career if anything should happen to their body or if they under perform and don’t make it or stick in the league. A business degree would come with a lot of classes that teach young folks how to manage their income and would be an incredible asset to any future professional athlete so they minimize their odds of growing broke.

But I guess valuing a free college education is old fashioned now. Some degrees are never worth it and I get that, but there are a lot of worthwhile degrees and classes that would be a huge benefit to these guys.

But I also understand these a lot of these guys don’t want to be seen as spelling bee contestants.

Is it really that much if a disservice? If the player doesn't care about his academics, why should the school.

At this point, I think the academics are so far down the totem pole, I'm not sure it matters. To be honest, I couldn't care if any of our players go to class at this point. College basketball is no different than professional sports. And we already KNOW some schools didn't care about academics when they WERE supposed to be important (UNC)..

I'd hate to see academics get in the way of fielding a basketball team. It's 2024, they could get paper grades for all I care.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Is it really that much if a disservice? If the player doesn't care about his academics, why should the school.

At this point, I think the academics are so far down the totem pole, I'm not sure it matters. To be honest, I couldn't care if any of our players go to class at this point. College basketball is no different than professional sports. And we already KNOW some schools didn't care about academics when they WERE supposed to be important (UNC)..

I'd hate to see academics get in the way of fielding a basketball team. It's 2024, they could get paper grades for all I care.
It is of you really care about the wellbeing of others over their shortsighted desires. Look at all the professional athletes who have gone broke. Now imagine if they had had some business classes or a degree in journalism/broadcasting that could get them a job to fall back on if things don’t go their way.

And again, these classes and degrees I’m bringing up aren’t difficult to pass or to excel in. Anybody with a high school diploma should be able to pass those courses or degree programs little effort.

As for guys with absolute zero interest in school well I’m in favor of keeping them go to the league straight out of high school. Very much against the idea that someone can represent their country in a military uniform but they can’t represent their city in an NBA uniform when they turn 18. Very silly.

And if you want relaxed standards for athletes, if be for that too. Maybe instead of “2.0 and go” you just require athletes to maintain a gpa of whatever all C-‘s would be (or straight D’s if the university accepts D’s as passing- some do).

Welcome to idiocracy. Today’s world favors entertainment over human advancement. 🤷‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT