ADVERTISEMENT

Unpopular Opinion

Despite the last 4 seasons Calipari has taken UK to the Elite 8 in 50% of the seasons he has coached here.

I didn’t want him to go out like that. I’m happy to give it one more go.
That Cal with the chip on his shoulders is gone. All that's left is a content,egotistical, lazy, little house on the prairie watching, arrogant politician in its place.

My unpopular opinion is that I actually feel sorry for Cal. Because we’re all humans and he’s more or less universally disliked across this entire state. It’s gotta be tough making it all the way to the top of your career goals, and then slowly crashing and burning.

With that said, I still don’t want him to be our coach. Because if any of us performed as poorly as him for several years in a row, we would have all been fired years ago.

I doubt you apply this concept to any other area of your life.. “Well my dr was amazing 10 years ago, but he has misdiagnosed me the last 4 years, but I’ll give him another shot.” “My mechanic was great at fixing my old car, he keeps screwing up my new one, but I don’t want him to go out like that.”

Am I disappointed in the last four years? Yes.

In that time we had a global pandemic, and the college basketball world was turned upside down with NIL.

Is Cal’s time about up? Yes. The right candidate wasn’t there. The money wasn’t right.

Worst case we have a better hiring pool next year and $9 million more to play with. Best case we have one of the most legendary seasons in our history and Cal walks off into the sunset a hero.

I’m good with it.

Reactions: PhattyJ4UK
Despite the last 4 seasons Calipari has taken UK to the Elite 8 in 50% of the seasons he has coached here.

Dream, when you’re feeling Blue
Dream, and it might come true
Things never are as bad as they seem
So dream, dream dream

Don’t know why folks are talking about the NCAA numbers. We are no longer seriously competing for SEC titles. It’s that bad.

calbysmal.png

That Cal with the chip on his shoulders is gone. All that's left is a content,egotistical, lazy, little house on the prairie watching, arrogant politician in its place.
You really don't know jack, I hope. We knew there were better x and o coaches when we hire him. Tubby sucked at recruiting and Billy G was a disaster. We got what we asked for. He's solid but with flaws. Aren't we all?

Ideally, I hope he brings in x and o assistants but keep bringing in the topp players.

Either way, he is what you wanted at the time and it is You that is wrong for bringing him here and then wanting to run him off. Let's be honest here!

I do hope we can turn things around from where we are but at this date and time, he is again probably the right person, even if some watt tò hang him. Again, let's just be honest, mature and not emotional, but rational...I suggest wkipipedia for that term.

• Haha
Reactions: Jeff Sykes
You really don't know jack, I hope. We knew there were better x and o coaches when we hire him. Tubby sucked at recruiting and Billy G was a disaster. We got what we asked for. He's solid but with flaws. Aren't we all?

Ideally, I hope he brings in x and o assistants but keep bringing in the topp players.

Either way, he is what you wanted at the time and it is You that is wrong for bringing him here and then wanting to run him off. Let's be honest here!

I do hope we can turn things around from where we are but at this date and time, he is again probably the right person, even if some watt tò hang him. Again, let's just be honest, mature and not emotional, but rational...I suggest wkipipedia for that term.
It's Wikipedia just to let you know.
WE all loved his first 6 seasons. Fun times, but you can't live in the past either. It's a what have you done lately for us world and in that regard, he hasn't done shit. I'm for the program. Coaches and players come and go but the program is the one constant. That's me being rational.

WE all loved his first 6 seasons. Fun times, but you can't live in the past either. It's a what have you done lately for us world and in that regard, he hasn't done shit. I'm for the program. Coaches and players come and go but the program is the one constant. That's me being rational.
No sir. Firing a proven recruiter with the new nil and portal rules is not being rational. The days of playing for the name on the front of the jersey appear to have ended and the new nil rules don't make that better. Emotion should never ever be part of a multi million dollar decision and thats just being rational.

No sir. Firing a proven recruiter with the new nil and portal rules is not being rational. The days of playing for the name on the front of the jersey appear to have ended and the new nil rules don't make that better. Emotion should never ever be part of a multi million dollar decision and thats just being rational.
And just what the hell has your proven recruiter done with those proven recruits lately?
Don't live in the past, what has your proven recruiter done over the last 5 seasons ?

I doubt you apply this concept to any other area of your life.. “Well my dr was amazing 10 years ago, but he has misdiagnosed me the last 4 years, but I’ll give him another shot.” “My mechanic was great at fixing my old car, he keeps screwing up my new one, but I don’t want him to go out like that.”
This is a GREAT post ! ! !

OK. If you’re for the program let me put a hypothetical out there for you.

We pay the $33 Million dollar buyout. The home run hires you all want (Donavan, Wright, Stephens, Hurley) don’t bite. We’re left with Drew, Oats, Pearl, and …Sean Miller?

We strike out on one or two and feel like we have to get our guy. Pay a big buyout for Drew or Oats (like $15 Million?).

Then it doesn’t work. They are not up to the task. A new coach will probably sign for at least $6-$7 million a year? 4 years?

You are out $80 million and back in the same position with much less resources, 4 years down the drain, and still likely to hire the guy that will probably be there next year if it doesn’t work out with Cal.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
And just what the hell has your proven recruiter done with those proven recruits lately?
Don't live in the past, what has your proven recruiter done over the last 5 seasons ?
Not mine and not enough. I'm not even saying we should keep him for more than a year or so more but more that there are a lot of unknowns right now and we have a reason for players to come here, now. Yes, changes might be needed but this is not the time and certainly not while we are all upset with how this season ended

Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0
OK. If you’re for the program let me put a hypothetical out there for you.

We pay the $33 Million dollar buyout. The home run hires you all want (Donavan, Wright, Stephens, Hurley) don’t bite. We’re left with Drew, Oats, Pearl, and …Sean Miller?

We strike out on one or two and feel like we have to get our guy. Pay a big buyout for Drew or Oats (like $15 Million?).

Then it doesn’t work. They are not up to the task. A new coach will probably sign for at least $6-$7 million a year? 4 years?

You are out $80 million and back in the same position with much less resources, 4 years down the drain, and still likely to hire the guy that will probably be there next year if it doesn’t work out with Cal.
Great post

Not mine and not enough. I'm not even saying we should keep him for more than a year or so more but more that there are a lot of unknowns right now and we have a reason for players to come here, now. Yes, changes might be needed but this is not the time and certainly not while we are all upset with how this season ended
My God you must love mediocrity.

Reactions: bookerfan66
This is a GREAT post ! ! !
No it isn’t. It’s apples to oranges.

Your doctor isn’t competing against other doctors who are trying to keep you from dying. Your doctor isn’t relying on 20 year olds to perform to decide whether or not he did a good job. Sometimes the shots don’t fall.

Any of you all gamble? Ever hear of the term variance? Eventually statistics regress to the mean. At the moment, Cal’s average finish is a. Elite 8. And with all of the factors working against a gold hire right now, you all think one more year is out of the question?

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT