ADVERTISEMENT

Ulis to Arkansas

Yeah I found it weird when people were clamoring for him to he an assistant on here claiming he love UK as if he didn't come here for Calipari like the rest of them. Great player though!
Yup, just like John Pelphrey claimed to love UK then went to Florida with Billy D and coached and recruited against UK. It’s kind of messed up follow your mentors with whom you have a relationship with. I will never understand this line of thinking.

Yes, Ulis was fantastic. Small guy but a huge heart and he played that way. Hard to imagine anyone calling him overrated. Too small for the NBA, where there are others that can match his speed and athleticism but at the college level, I'd take him on every team, every year.

As for him following Cal...It's no secret that his current and past players love Cal. He's a players first coach who genuinely loves his kids. That's what makes him such a great recruiter too, imho. Can't say I'm surprised by this move frankly. But he'd learn much more about coaching if he was under a bunch of better COACHES than Cal.

Cal did teach his players a lot though about the next level. Not so much x's and o's but being prepared for the league as a person maybe moreso than the game itself. Lots of things can go wrong with teenage millionaires. I think Cal did those things well but he's not the only coach in the country that has nba experience and loves his players.

Yup, just like John Pelphrey claimed to love UK then went to Florida with Billy D and coach and recruited against UK. It’s kind of messed up follow your mentors with whom you have a relationship with. I will never understand this line of thinking.
To be fair, in my line of work, people seem to be loyal for good managers instead of being loyal to the company. Maybe it's a similar trend.

TU played with heart and grit while he was here. Did he bleed blue or just go hard will be the question of debate. He was a great player at UK but I certainly won’t miss his suits he wore to the games last year.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
In all seriousness I’ve been wanting to say this for awhile now and now that he’s gone I’ll say it.

IMO Ulis was one of the most overrated players to put on a Kentucky uniform

I'd love to know how a 5'7" guy who wins conference POY and makes it to the NBA is overrated. Come on man, don't be butt hurt...it is what it is. All these guys are Cal guys first. Doesn't mean they hate UK. You have to be blinded by anger or something.

In all seriousness I’ve been wanting to say this for awhile now and now that he’s gone I’ll say it.

What a stupid statement. 2015 All-Freshman team on 38 win team, 2016 FIRST team All-American, SEC Player of the Year, SEC Defensive Player of the Year, 34th overall NBA draft pick. Just when I think you can’t get any worse you go and outdo yourself with some dumb stuff like that statement.

What a stupid statement. 2015 All-Freshman team on 38 win team, 2016 FIRST team All-American, SEC Player of the Year, SEC Defensive Player of the Year, 34th overall NBA draft pick. Just when I think you can’t get any worse you go and outdo yourself with some dumb stuff like that statement.
I honestly think the dominant posters here these days as far as starting new threads are teenagers.

F*** him, too. Just like the rest of them.

All this "once a Cat always a Cat" kind of nonsense is ridiculous. If you're not with us youre against us. In this case, literally. F*** him.

He definitely wasn't overrated though. That's just ridiculous. Still, ****'em.

Reactions: ThrowBackCat9

Also won the Bob Cousy award.

Unfortunately his defensive prowess as a player did not translate in the slightest to our guards last year. The reason? Ulis ain’t the HC, so his hands are tied.

Good for Ulis. Cal, like him or not, will take care of him and make sure he continues to get a good base before he ventures out and starts moving around and climbing the coaching ranks Once ready to leave the nest, Cal will use his connections to make sure the next stop for him is a good one. Heck, might even see him back coaching UK in 15 years 😂.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA

SEC player of the year isn’t over rated. He’s one of the most pure point guards we have ever had. Tough as nails and flawlessly ran a team. He could shoot and finish very well for his size. Has a ridiculous sophomore year. Had he been 6 or 7 inches taller he would have been a top 10 pick and still in the NBA.

SEC player of the year isn’t over rated. He’s one of the most pure point guards we have ever had. Tough as nails and flawlessly ran a team. He could shoot and finish very well for his size. Has a ridiculous sophomore year. Had he been 6 or 7 inches taller he would have been a top 10 pick and still in the NBA.
I think I'd add if he'd played starter minutes the end of his freshman year Calipari and Kentucky would probably have an extra championship.

Good for Ulis. Cal, like him or not, will take care of him and make sure he continues to get a good base before he ventures out and starts moving around and climbing the coaching ranks Once ready to leave the nest, Cal will use his connections to make sure the next stop for him is a good one. Heck, might even see him back coaching UK in 15 years 😂.
Cals coaching tree is a utility pole . So much for Cals “connections” .

Cal got him to the NBA and gave him a shot at coaching. This isn’t surprising whatsoever. I also don’t think this precludes him coaching at Kentucky someday.

Come on defend your position. Exactly HOW was he overrated? “To EVER put on a Kentucky uniform?” I could think of fifty former Cats I’d choose before even thinking about Ulis.
I’d stick to posting other people’s thoughts.

If you want to blame anyone for the ulis murray year for sucking like it did look no farther than cal relying on marcus lee to be our main big god he ****ing sucked

Morton's salt monopoly is in grave danger.

He was a tough point guard for us and wasn't overrated. We needed a complete fresh start with a whole new coaching staff and that's what we have.
Ulis wants to be a coach someday so wish him the best of luck and I look forward to the Cats kicking some of his ass when we play the Hogs.
It's only business, hope he doesn't take the ass whooping personally.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT