ADVERTISEMENT

Ulis and Napier

wobycat

Sophomore
Sep 1, 2003
These two compare very similar. I think Ulis can be an elite scorer, plus I think he's ahead on Napier when comes to defense. This kid's height kept him from being a five star. Ulis is very, very good.

I think Briscoe's game is more similar to Napier. Isiah can take over a game scoring wise. Tyler is more of a pass first pg. I have yet to see TU try to take the scoring load on his back. I think he can do it but has not done it yet at UK. Both tu and napier are quick enough to get their own shot and are good at running offensive sets. GBB

I don't think Ulis is ever going to be a scorer like Napier was. I do think he will become more of a scorer as he gains experience, but I don't expect that to ever be his primary role.

Napier was jet quick & practically unguardable.............Ulis is quick, but not like that

Kid can shoot. Tyler was one of the most consistent 3 point shooters over the season. He will get more looks this year.

Briscoe seems to be able to fill it up. Him and ulis with at least poy and skal will be a good starting 4.

These two compare very similar. I think Ulis can be an elite scorer, plus I think he's ahead on Napier when comes to defense. This kid's height kept him from being a five star. Ulis is very, very good.

Ulis, at least this past year, was a pass first traditional pg. Cal even pulled him out of some games for passing up shots. I look for Ulis to shoot the ball a lot more this year but like some said, not as a primary scorer.

This is what I think too. It is nice that he is a good 3-ball shooter.

I don't think Ulis will ever be the scorer as Napier. His release is too slow. When he shoots a 3 it is almost like he is pushing from his chest and has to be spot up, not something he can do off the dribble. Just a point I'm making, because I like everything about him on our team though.

Napier is 6'1 and Ulis is 5'9. I am expecting big things this year from Tyler. He will be the leader on the floor.

I don't necessarily agree fully with the comparison because of the differing heights, but I think a lot of people are only remembering Napier as an upperclassman.

The guy averaged under 8 points per game his freshman year and was known more-so as a tenacious on-ball defender and not as much as a scorer, similar to Ulis. Remember the fits he gave Brandon Knight as an on-ball defender for that championship team.

His arc in terms of scoring turned out to be higher than Ulis' probably will be, but they were pretty similar early in their career.

If I were a betting man, I would say that Ulis will average around 11 points, 7 assists, 2 rebounds per game next season, if he averages 34 mpg like I believe he will. Very solid for a sophomore season, or any season really.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
Napier was very skinny, but you could tell even as a Freshman, on a team with other NBA caliber talents, that he was a leader and he was fearless. He wasn't afraid to take a big shot or of a big stage. Ulis showed us the same as a Freshman. If he continues to get stronger, the sky is the limit. His biggest weakness was physically against other guards. He's a great defender because of instincts, quickness and using his short stature to get right in a guy's mug, but he's also a guy that got hurt a bit against Wisconsin against stronger guards Koenig and Jackson.

Don't like the comparison. Napier had a killer pull-up shot.

Ulis never hunts his own shot and really only shoots when he's wide open. This is a big problem, since his height gives him pause on challenging defenders. He's fearless on defense, but he doesn't show the same toughness on offense.

Ulis may never develop into a reliable scoring option, which is still fine ( not in terms of his future draft stock, but thats for a different convo). His wizard passing gives him a big edge on Napier, and this is what he should hang on.

Yea, Ulis and Napier are similar like Pepsi and 7-UP. Both are carbonated drinks and. . . uh. . . well both are drinks. And Ulis and Napier both played PG and. . . uh . . . well both played PG.

Great analysis.
Yea, Ulis and Napier are similar like Pepsi and 7-UP. Both are carbonated drinks and. . . uh. . . well both are drinks. And Ulis and Napier both played PG and. . . uh . . . well both played PG.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT