ADVERTISEMENT

UL keeping Payne

This is stunning to me. Not just because of the losses. But when fans don’t even show up to games, the school is usually forced to make a change. Just think of the revenue they’re losing. And how much it hurts their brand for people to see an empty gym on national TV, which impacts recruiting.

It‘s a vicious circle that Louisville likely cannot correct without making a change.

That said, let’s keep Kenny right where he is.

8a848j.jpg

This is stunning to me. Not just because of the losses. But when fans don’t even show up to games, the school is usually forced to make a change. Just think of the revenue they’re losing. And how much it hurts their brand for people to see an empty gym on national TV, which impacts recruiting.

It‘s a vicious circle that Louisville likely cannot correct without making a change.

Firing Payne now isn't gonna make the fans come watch a dog crap team this season.

It's almost inevitable he is fired at end of season. Doubt they win 10 games. He's gone.

They fire him now and the national media is going to have a race baiting frenzy.

Ill stand by this for any coach anywhere in the nation so long as it's not some kind of illegal nonsense and that is firing Kenny Payne would be monumentally stupid.

Im not breaking down their roster for the 10th time, but it's easy to see that they have talented guards, can bring back Huntley-Hatfield, have a 7ft 1 guy that was a top 25 prospect and who has been out for 5 games but has been playing through his shoulder being hurt the entire season.

The cupboard is not bare at Louisville. They just need more patience. Giving a coach 18 months is asinine.

Last edited:
No way he’s there after this season. In two years, KP has taken what was a bad program under Mack and somehow made it worse. I’m surprised that he hasn’t been canned yet after their performance and low Louisville fan attendance yesterday. The game was pretty much a de facto home game for UK. It was much louder when we scored than when UofL did anything positive.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
That team actually seems to have some nice talent and pieces to have a decent team. I know the Evans kid has been out, did he do anything when he played? He was supposed to be their big recruiting catch.

From a talent perspective, KP is correct. His perimeter players next season should be really good. If he keeps his bigs, he has to add one or two transfer kids and this team could have some real talent.

That said, last season Arkansas and UNC poached players that would make this year’s UL team a winning squad. Maybe they needed to go and we’re not the team first guys KP would want, but if KP wanted them to stay, he best be re-recruiting his team all season. They love him (calling him a father and a grand dad), but if your are BHH and a Michigan or a UCLA comes knocking and saying you are their missing piece, KP better be able to show the kid that a couple of transfers will get UL into contention. Otherwise, poaching season repeats.

That team actually seems to have some nice talent and pieces to have a decent team. I know the Evans kid has been out, did he do anything when he played? He was supposed to be their big recruiting catch.
He’s a change of pace guy, similar to Onyenso, but possibly bigger upside. Not having JJ Taynor hurts them a lot as well

Reactions: tomrain
If I’m a Louisville fan I hate this decision but I’m not a Louisville fan so let them suffer lol
KP talking about the “top programs” getting the players he wanted this past year won’t endear him to UL fans. Especially ones who followed before … Chris Mack.

Louisville has some talent on their roster. They seem to lack focus, or motivation, or something.
Talent? Outside of Clark, they just aren't good enough. But it's going to be hard to get the guys he wants in there because players don't want to play for a losing team. I've watched them a few times this season and they're definitely better than last season. Then you hear the tights story and the guy who just left the team and it's apparent those dudes just aren't what anyone wants or needs.

A lot of times that’s the kiss of death. When the AD or GM comes out and says their head coach is safe they’re usually on their way out.
Yeah, it likely means he has until the end of the season to save his job, and that means they have to win a decent number of games in the conference, and that likely isn't happening. It means he has a stay of execution which will happen at the end of the season.

Rick Pitino and Tom Jurich ain’t walking thru that door anytime soon. Louisville fans just gotta accept where they’re at right now which is a total rebuild. Choke on it if you must but that’s where they’re at. And they may never get back. And I personally hope they suck for the next 50 years.

Some UL fans figured it would happen, they knew that the Grinch was coming to take their Christmas. They can’t wait until 2024
Problem is, what coach is taking over who can turn things around instantly? They're gonna have to deal with losing one way or another. Next season isn't gonna be much better, if at all. Payne's players will likely leave with him. He may not be a good head coach, but he is loved by his players. The ones who have multiple years remaining will be gone. They may all leave.

Ill stand by this for any coach anywhere in the nation so long as it's not some kind of illegal nonsense and that is firing Kenny Payne would be monumentally stupid.

Im not breaking down their roster for the 10th time, but it's easy to see that they have talented guards, can bring back Huntley-Hatfield, have a 7ft 1 guy that was a top 25 prospect and who has been out for 5 games but has been playing through his shoulder being hurt the entire season.

The cupboard is not bare at Louisville. They just need more patience. Giving a coach 18 months is asinine.
Assuming the year goes as expected for them and they manage 3-5 ACC wins at best that will be 2 years as a head coach with less than 10 wins. Are you advocating that it would still be stupid at that time? Was UK asanine for running Gillespie out of town after 2 years? Sorry but UofL has zero momentum going on in their program and nothing positive has happened (for them) since they hired Kenny as head coach. Some people just arent meant to be head coaches and seemingly that is where Kenny falls in and there is nothing wrong with that. He is a heck of an assistant coach though.

Reactions: Jont0805
I don't really see a benefit to doing it now. You're not saving the season. You're not drawing the fans back in with a coaching change. You're not going to be able to sign a head coach away from a program mid-season.

I think there's actually some value in making a statement like this. You want the program to have some amount of stability. If his job is in question the entire duration of the season--it's hard to do anything.

Fire KP once the season ends. Save whatever money that gets you. Stop with the Jay Wright fantasies.

I hadn't watched UaVel this year but I was somewhat surprised they'd had so many bad losses. Their talent wasn't great, but they had some guys that were competitive at the D1 level.

Assuming the year goes as expected for them and they manage 3-5 ACC wins at best that will be 2 years as a head coach with less than 10 wins. Are you advocating that it would still be stupid at that time? Was UK asanine for running Gillespie out of town after 2 years? Sorry but UofL has zero momentum going on in their program and nothing positive has happened (for them) since they hired Kenny as head coach. Some people just arent meant to be head coaches and seemingly that is where Kenny falls in and there is nothing wrong with that. He is a heck of an assistant coach though.

BCG was run out of town because he was an asshole and the players hated him. His situation is nothing like Payne.

As for less than 10 wins in back to back seasons that's got a little to do with Kenny Payne and a lot to do with UL's athletic's program has been an overall trash can for a while now. So, yes, I would still advocate in Kenny Payne's situation. They kept Mack around way too long.

Now, if there is a 3rd year of this or there ends up being a mass exodus of players after this season is over then I'd probably think a little more that they should let him go. Outside of that Koron Davis kid it sounds like the players really like Kenny Payne. If it comes out that half the team hates him then I would consider comparing him to BCG and looking at it differently..

Reactions: RunninRichie
Bigger problem. What hppens when ACC folds. FSU just fired first shot.

I think that is a good decision made by UL. If the team plays the way they did against UK they will win some games. If they fired him they would still have the same team no matter who took over. No good coach would come in to inherit a loosing team.

BCG was run out of town because he was an asshole and the players hated him. His situation is nothing like Payne.

As for less than 10 wins in back to back seasons that's got a little to do with Kenny Payne and a lot to do with UL's athletic's program has been an overall trash can for a while now. So, yes, I would still advocate in Kenny Payne's situation. They kept Mack around way too long.

Now, if there is a 3rd year of this or there ends up being a mass exodus of players after this season is over then I'd probably think a little more that they should let him go. Outside of that Koron Davis kid it sounds like the players really like Kenny Payne. If it comes out that half the team hates him then I would consider comparing him to BCG and looking at it differently..
I’ll disagree. The players loving Kenny should have zero to do with any decision UofL ultimately makes. Barring their team showing significant improvement as the year goes along and likely finishing last in the ACC again it is a move that has to be made. You already have this year with fans not showing up and to give it another year you run the high probable risk of having yet another year with fan apathy. Also going to be very difficult for Kenny to recruit anyone that can even begin to help him turn things around.

Zero benefit to doing it now. UL still terrible with or without KP. Can’t hire a permanent coach for another 3-4 months after the season is over.

Makes sense to keep him an and let him finish a terrible year. Then they fire him and go after a better coach. It would be hard to hire a coach away from his present team in the middle of a season. Unless they go after Bobby Petrino.

I think AD is afraid too many players enter portal during Christmas if they fire Kenny before next semester.

Firing a coach frees all players to transfer with no penalty. A few teams would poach some of their players.

Can you imagine not having enough scholarship players to field a team. That would be a PR nightmare.

They aren’t getting people in the Yum Ctr this season regardless of who’s coaching.

There’s nothing to gain by making a change before February.

They cannot afford all of the buyouts they currently are on the hook for. They cannot ad KP to that and then pay what they need for a better coach. Being cash-strapped means KP is going to be there a bit.

Reactions: westerncat
I honestly don't see them making the tournament for at least a few more years if that. I doubt they let him stay for 4 or 5 years to see if he does. Unless they buy up a bunch of 5 stars, he's done for. They need to dump him as soon as possible and get a head start on hiring a new coach. I'm all for giving him time though 😂.

And unlike Clyde, Kenny Payne actually signed a contract.

Payne wins 11 -12 games this season that might get him another year but reading their board they want anyone but Kenny

Emotions aside, this is a smart move long term. As some have said, it saves a cash strapped UL a few million dollars, keeps them from having to put even more money out to hire an interim HC, gives them the narrative that they gave a horrible coach 2 full years (vs. 18 months) to figure it out, and keeps the players they have there at least until the end of the season.

Some will counter with attendance and how firing Payne will help with ticket sales but a lot of those seats were sold. Folks just aren't coming. In addition, do you think Danny Manning (or whatever unemployed former HC) is going to really energize the team and fanbase to the point that it makes a real difference turnstile wise?

Their AD has laid down the ultimatum and will let Kenny fire himself while spending all of his time and money on making sure he gets a slam dunk hire for 2024

Last edited:
Reactions: BradleyCrawford08

Pretty much saying they’re gonna just finish the season with him instead of making a mid-season change. They’re gonna miss post season play again. Highly doubt Kenny is on the sidelines next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT