ADVERTISEMENT

UK/WVU crowd split in Cleveland

mcwildcats04

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2003
What do you all expect for this? Morgantown is 3 hours from Cleveland whereas Lex is about 5 but we obviously travel a lot better. Is this going to be a 60/40 split in our favor? 70/30? Something else?

The Mountaineer fans will bring a very large contingent, as will Notre Dame, but we should have at least half of the arena on Thursday and probably 75-80% on Saturday.

UK fans have already bought most of the tickets. I would say 60% UK, 20% Wva, 10% Wichita, 10%ND.

Yep...UK fans knew this was the site we were going to since the beginning of the year... They won't be giving their tickets up so we will have a distinct crowd advantage...

Bank on it.

Originally posted by Kramer318:
Yep...UK fans knew this was the site we were going to since the beginning of the year... They won't be giving their tickets up so we will have a distinct crowd advantage...

Bank on it.
This. We knew UK would be here all season while the rest of the teams had no clue.

I hope that is the case. WV traveled really well to Syracuse in 2010. They outnumbered us significantly and were loud.

I hope that the UK Alumni that are in and round the Cleveland, OH. area come out and help support our team. Maybe they could start tomorrow by advising people where to stay, the best places to eat and gather and the best way to get to the arena. Will there be a "Pep Rally" prior to the game?

GO BIG BLUE!!!

ND has a ton of big dollar fans in the Northeast. WVU has a rabid fan base and travels very well. Wich St, actually travels really well, but that's a long ways for them.

UK will, obviously, have the most, due to buying the tickets before a game was even played. But, the other 3 schools will ALL be anti-UK. So, even though there will be more blue, I look for the other colors to "blend" and equal it out, somewhat. Plus, I'm pretty sure the "locals" aren't too keen on the Cats and probably had first dibs on the tix.

Blue will get in....and get in big...unless a lot of people are saving their money for Indy.

Originally posted by realism:
ND has a ton of big dollar fans in the Northeast. WVU has a rabid fan base and travels very well. Wich St, actually travels really well, but that's a long ways for them.

UK will, obviously, have the most, due to buying the tickets before a game was even played. But, the other 3 schools will ALL be anti-UK. So, even though there will be more blue, I look for the other colors to "blend" and equal it out, somewhat. Plus, I'm pretty sure the "locals" aren't too keen on the Cats and probably had first dibs on the tix.

Blue will get in....and get in big...unless a lot of people are saving their money for Indy.
The only locals that get "first dibs" are Cleveland State season ticket holders.......not many of them.

As of last Wednesday at Ticketmaster, last time I checked, there were lots of tickets left.

Tickets will be much easier and cheaper than Indy!

Originally posted by bdkatfan:
I hope that is the case. WV traveled really well to Syracuse in 2010. They outnumbered us significantly and were loud.
That won't be the case this time for the reasons others have already stated in this thread.

Originally posted by mcwildcats04:
What do you all expect for this? Morgantown is 3 hours from Cleveland whereas Lex is about 5 but we obviously travel a lot better. Is this going to be a 60/40 split in our favor? 70/30? Something else?
You're kidding, right?

Travel time has NOTHING to do with our invading of that arena.....BBN is firmly embedded in every nook and cranny of the USA and beyond!

Guys, WV doesn't have a large fanbase. They're very bandwagon, as well. There are a TON of UK fans in WV, too. So, I wouldn't expect them to have nearly the crowd that you might think there.

Not sure about the percentage but UK fans new about the two location prior to any activity.

This has given us huge edge over every other fan base.

I'm not so sure Wichita St. fans will be anti-UK. I think they want their shot at payback.

Originally posted by TheFolker:
I'm not so sure Wichita St. fans will be anti-UK. I think they want their shot at payback.
They play the first game so if they lose, you can bet they will be cheering against Kentucky. I'm fine with a 50/50 split. Some of UK's better performances this season have been on legitimate neutral sites.

UK fans needs to make those tickets so much in demand..that WVU fans cannot afford these tickets, its that plain and simple...its never been a problem for UK to afford these prices so would it now? Make those Tickets even more high in demand

Bank on it.
This is the correct answer. WVU would bring a big crowd, if there were plenty of tickets available. But they will have a hard time getting their hands on tickets beyond the allotment given to the school by the NCAA.

there should be more blue than any other color, by far. bbn has been buying tickets from the day they went on sale because we knew we were a lock to be there. none of the other teams knew where they would be until much later.

I have no idea what percentage of overall tickets end up on the secondary market.

BUT, the arena was sold out a month before the draw. Have to assume the vast majority are in UK fan's hands.

We even had a 24 hour advantage on the secondary market after knowing for sure that we are in the S16.

I"m thinking 80% UK.

There won't be that many WVU fans there on a Thursday night. There weren't in Syracuse in 2010. They all showed up on Saturday though.

Problem is that all three other team fans will be rooting hard for WVU. Playing the late game hurts in this regard. Fans of the first game will stay to see UK and pull for WVU. Its always that way in regional finals.

it can't be any worse than playing Cornell was in 2010, just 45 minutes from Cornell's campus. That was a joke.

Don't forget the ND and Wichita St fans, they will obviously be for WV (not wanting to play us).

I estimate it will be:
5% Wichita St
10% ND
30% WV
55% UK

So for our game it will be 55% for UK, 45% against.

Originally posted by UK_Norm:

Bank on it.
This is the correct answer. WVU would bring a big crowd, if there were plenty of tickets available. But they will have a hard time getting their hands on tickets beyond the allotment given to the school by the NCAA.
Based on what? WV just doesn't have much of a fanbase at all.

I don't really see how distance affects BBN. We could be playing in Alaska and BBN would still pack the place out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT