ADVERTISEMENT

UK now the favorite for #1 high school center

That just doesn't really make much sense with the post depth we have for next year, but the more the merrier is cool with me. It'd be nice to keep him away from Duke or KU.

It doesn't make sense to me why there is interest on either side. But if an ultra talented kid wants to play for UK, then I guess we can find a spot for him.

Last edited:
"Where does UK stand w/ #1 center Marques Bolden? In a good spot, says @EvanDaniels."

Evan calls Cal the leader in this recruitment.

And here I am trying to get Simmons here.

At this point Bolden would probably play behind Humphries and have to come off the bench, I believe he is Kansas bound, but if he wants to play here...the more the merrier!!

Or maybe does this reflect that they'll be some unexpected movement with the roster?

To me, UK addressed the top targets in Fall--now if another guy--preferably an offensively skilled post wants to come-and Bolden is a tremendously gifted offensive post player--he's just not a great defender/rebounder, but he's tougher then what I've seen from Humphries, you take him.

Also think UK should target an elite shooter--no matter the position or route. (HS, Prep, Overseas, Reclassification, Post Grad....) to go with the elite signees and holdovers (Matthews who will fit perfectly style wise but needs to work on shot).

Ugh why did I open this thread... Reading this just ruined my day :-(

I'd like for UK to pick Bolden up, but I wouldn't be surprised for him to decide the frontcourt is too crowded, especially if Lee returns. That would be Humphries, Lumberjack, Lee, Bam, Gabriel, Killeya-Jones, and Willis all 6'9 or taller. And even if Lee does go pro, UK still has six players 6'9 or taller.

No matter what happens, do you think Gabriel will play the 3 at UK?

Or maybe does this reflect that they'll be some unexpected movement with the roster?

To me, UK addressed the top targets in Fall--now if another guy--preferably an offensively skilled post wants to come-and Bolden is a tremendously gifted offensive post player--he's just not a great defender/rebounder, but he's tougher then what I've seen from Humphries, you take him.

Also think UK should target an elite shooter--no matter the position or route. (HS, Prep, Overseas, Reclassification, Post Grad....) to go with the elite signees and holdovers (Matthews who will fit perfectly style wise but needs to work on shot).

Ralph -- what do you mean by unexpected moves on the roster? Also -- any word on Simmons and UK? Thanks.

Ralph -- what do you mean by unexpected moves on the roster? Also -- any word on Simmons and UK? Thanks.

Just think some guys are not going to be back in Lexington that fans are expecting--and that was what I was told. Can see someone turning pro that will surprise many (again friend who is in industry that had recruiting info said Ulis is gone after this year) and some may be asked to leave ala Harrow or do the Wiltjer thing.

Next year's UK team is the one I expect to get #9 and pull what Duke did last year (win NC with all focus on UK--only roles reversed next year). Think it'll be most athletic team Cal's had and best defensive UK team too.

Simmons family still wants UK--and UK will know more after season about how they'll add to roster.

Reactions: jarms24
I'd like for UK to pick Bolden up, but I wouldn't be surprised for him to decide the frontcourt is too crowded, especially if Lee returns. That would be Humphries, Lumberjack, Lee, Bam, Gabriel, Killeya-Jones, and Willis all 6'9 or taller. And even if Lee does go pro, UK still has six players 6'9 or taller.

No matter what happens, do you think Gabriel will play the 3 at UK?[/QUO

Who are you calling lumberjack, Wynyard ?

Just think some guys are not going to be back in Lexington that fans are expecting--and that was what I was told. Can see someone turning pro that will surprise many (again friend who is in industry that had recruiting info said Ulis is gone after this year) and some may be asked to leave ala Harrow or do the Wiltjer thing.

Next year's UK team is the one I expect to get #9 and pull what Duke did last year (win NC with all focus on UK--only roles reversed next year). Think it'll be most athletic team Cal's had and best defensive UK team too.

Simmons family still wants UK--and UK will know more after season about how they'll add to roster.

Ralph -- thanks for the insight. As of now would you have leaving: Ulis, Lee, Skal, Briscoe, Murray and Poythress?

Also -- if you had to predict now -- would you say Simmons and Bolden to UK?

Ugh.

I have the strangest feeling here.

Bolden is one of those types of guys - natural talent, not necessarily a great motor from what I hear, skilled post who doesn't bring too much defense and rebounding - he sounds to me like the type of player that Cal would yell at non stop. Hope I'm wrong.

Eh, I guess I'm basing my wishes on Lee returning, and it's starting to look like that might not be the case. If he ends the season averaging a double-double or something, somebody will scoop him up to be an athletic hustle/defense guy.

Ulis is gone for sure, cuz his stock won't get any higher - he's 5'9 with a crazy mature game, and he has no competition for minutes on this squad.

If Briscoe, Matthews, Willis, Humphries came back, that would be more than enough experience to get the young guys integrated quickly, and it's some pretty decent depth, though I'm not sure at all that Briscoe will.

With Briscoe and Lee back, we should be co favorites to win it all.

I want to be talked into being hyped about Bolden.
Replace upperclassman Lee's high motor, hyper athleticism, and defensive focus with - the opposite of that, and I just don't see us in as good a position as before.

This dude comes here he is going to play and get a ton of minutes. They will probably redshirt Humphries next year if he comes would be my guess.

Has Bolden said that the most important thing is to get a lot of playing time? Isn't it possible that he just wants the best possible training and preparation for the NBA?

But who could possibly leave that would really make space for Bolden? It makes no sense. Everyone knows that Skal will go, that Poythress is gone, and many are assuming that Lee won't be here. Who does that leave? You'll still have Humphries, Wynyard, Bam, and SKJ. You're going to add another center to that (and as much talk as there is of Gabriel as a 3, the fact is, he's nearly 6'10", and a really, really good shotblocker and rebounder. Which is why so many people list him as a 4) ? You're just going to bury Humphries and Wynyard (I assume) at the end of the bench?

And Simmons? A 5 star (who can't shoot, BTW) coming in and playing behind Monk and Fox, and what, relegating Matthews to spot duty? Is that really a good idea?

Sometimes, enough is enough. And sometimes, you can have too much.

Reactions: jarms24
At this point Bolden would probably play behind Humphries and have to come off the bench, I believe he is Kansas bound, but if he wants to play here...the more the merrier!!
He's better than humphries and would probably start in the frontcourt with bam.

No matter what happens, do you think Gabriel will play the 3 at UK?

I think that Lee is gone. It would be ridiculous with Ulis, Fox, Monk, Matthews, Gabriel, SKJ, Bam, Bolden, Humphries, Wynyard, Mulder, Willis and Hawkins.
Cannot see Bolden coming to UK

"Next year's UK team is the one I expect to get #9 and pull what Duke did last year (win NC with all focus on UK--only roles reversed next year). Think it'll be most athletic team Cal's had and best defensive UK team too."

I think you're right about one thing. Duke will be the odds-on favorite next year, especially if no one leaves early. They will be much like our 2012 team if their frosh return along with adding in the top 2 players in the class.

I for one hope Ulis returns and maybe Lee.

"Where does UK stand w/ #1 center Marques Bolden? In a good spot, says @EvanDaniels."

Evan calls Cal the leader in this recruitment.

And here I am trying to get Simmons here.
I would rather have Simmons. I think we need another guard.

Just the small clips I've seen of bolden, i see dakari 2.0. I would love to have him but I hate to see a huge log jam that could hurt team chemistry. I'm still not sold on ulis being gone or lee for that matter.

If we land Bolden, according to Rivals that would be 6 five star athletes as follows:
Numbers 5, 6, 7, 16, 17 and 26.

Last edited:

My guess on who is gone:

Ulis
Murray
Briscoe
Lee
Poythress
Labissiere
Mulder(transfer)

Could Matthews see himself as a OAD?

Unless Skal goes through a complete transformation between now and the end of the season, the NBA is the last place he will be playing next season. Matthews has some talent but not OAD talent. With the class that is coming in next year, he could be the glue for this team in the next 2-3 years if he stays. Makes no sense for him to be thinking of leaving after one year.

Unless Skal goes through a complete transformation between now and the end of the season, the NBA is the last place he will be playing next season. Matthews has some talent but not OAD talent. With the class that is coming in next year, he could be the glue for this team in the next 2-3 years if he stays. Makes no sense for him to be thinking of leaving after one year.
I am sorry but you are very wrong.

How do people, year in and year out, continue to make these statements? Skal is gone, period, end of discussion.

Where would Ulis go? In two mock drafts one has him undrafted and the other has him at #42. Does he look up to Andrew Harrison and Dakari Johnson and want to go to the dleague and make $25,000 a year? As of now the NBA shouldn't even be in his mind. Could that change as the year progresses sure, he could work himself into a late first rounder and he should go then, but as of now NO. It's stupid to say Ulis is definitely gone this year. I love Ulis and am a huge fan of his but he's 5'9" and shooting from the field at 35% and shooting the 3 at 28%. That's not going to win over alot of NBA teams. I'm hoping he will improve over the year, lead us to the championship and win it, then leave and get drafted first round, but I don't see Ulis IS**** gone.

Last edited:
@ralphdaltonfan - your post has me a little confused. Someone else mentioned Matthews...I think he would be the only guy on the roster who would surprise anyone if he left.

I guess theoretically any of Humphries, Wynyard, Mulder, Hawkins, or Willis could leave or be asked to leave. But I don't think much of our fan base would kick up much fuss about any of those.

The rest of the roster is either 100% expected to leave or 50%+. Am I missing something?

Are you thinking there's a numbers problem with talking about players being asked to leave? I don't see a problem especially if we make another run in the tournament.

I think that Lee is gone. It would be ridiculous with Ulis, Fox, Monk, Matthews, Gabriel, SKJ, Bam, Bolden, Humphries, Wynyard, Mulder, Willis and Hawkins.
Cannot see Bolden coming to UK

We will see how the season plays out, but I am leaning to agree with you on that one. I don't think crowded front court would be the reason he leaves (he was alright with the past two seasons), and I still don't see Bolden picking actually UK (although I would love to be proved wrong and I know nothing about the situation!!!) but I guess I see him leaving a bigger possibility than him staying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT