ADVERTISEMENT

UK meeting with Drew per Rothstein

We can be upset but you have to have a realistic alternative. If Hurley, Donovan, and Oats don’t want it then you’re not going to beat the option of Scott Drew.

His resume is more impressive than Gillispie’s or Cal’s or Sutton’s was when they came here.

It doesn't mean Mitch didn't throw the bank at Hurley or Donovan first. We simply don't know. Whomever gets it, it'll be spun as "Mitch got the guy he wanted all along". We may never know how things actually went down.

It's a very annoying cop-out argument that tries to say "we only couldn't get a top coach because Mitch wanted his guy". I think the posters who think this way are lying to themselves. If Drew comes here, then we can essentially say that Nate Oats, Hurley, and Jay Wright were not interested at present time. And it sounds like Billy Donovan is kind of on-deck, but he's someone who already didn't want to come here.

It's a very annoying cop-out argument that tries to say "we only couldn't get a top coach because Mitch wanted his guy". I think the posters who think this way are lying to themselves. If Drew comes here, then we can essentially say that Nate Oats, Hurley, and Jay Wright were not interested at present time. And it sounds like Billy Donovan is kind of on-deck, but he's someone who already didn't want to come here.
I'm choosing to get behind the hire. The dude has an eye for talented staff members. He's already had McCasland at Tech and Tang at KSU. His recruiting is picking up after Keyonte George and Jakobi Walters success. Just pulled in VJ Edgecombe from Cal and Duke. I think he'll flourish here with the booster support that's about to open.

It’s a safe hire.

I’m not jumping up and down like I was when Cal was announced. I don’t think the program will fall apart. I think he can win a title or 2, which is exactly what Cal did. He’ll do it with less dazzle and fanfare. There won’t be as many Fab 5 type classes, but there will be more structure, better coaching, roster consistency. Less Drake and more Chip & Joanna Gaines.

It doesn't mean Mitch didn't throw the bank at Hurley or Donovan first. We simply don't know. Whomever gets it, it'll be spun as "Mitch got the guy he wanted all along". We may never know how things actually went down.
This ^^^^^. Do you think Barnhart is publicly going to say, “Well, we tried to get Hurley and Oats but they didn’t want the job, so we settled for Scott Drew”? No, we may never know who all they considered, but if Drew gets the job I will support him and be happy that Cal is gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT