ADVERTISEMENT

***** UK Football Practice Notes - Oct. 30 *****

Jeff Drummond

Nov 25, 2002
LEXINGTON, KY
Making my way over to the JCFTC for the end of today’s practice. We’ll be speaking with OC Eddie Gran, select offensive players and assistant coaches today as they prepare for Saturday’s showdown with Georgia for the SEC East championship.

Look for updates around 5:45 ET...

* QB play is getting better but WR play needs to improve, Gran said. Way too many drops.

* UGA is stingy in what they give up, Gran said. “We can’t have the blunders that we’ve had against that defense.”

* Huge uptick in practice and overall confidence after a game-winning drive, Gran said. “You cant put a price on that.”

* Gran said they need to come with a different edge in this game to convert the third and shorts, fourth and shorts.

* Asked about Benny being frustrated about the running game getting shut down a bit, Gran said everyone on offense felt the same. They have to do better.

* Gran says he had an idea this UK defense could be special after their first scrimmage this summer in camp.

* Having that great defense gives the offense reason to believe that they could come back at Mizzou, even with so little time remaining.

* Lynn Bowden says Cats are confident, believe that if they do the things the way they have all year, good things will happen on Saturday.

* Terry Wilson said he just played his game, even after being benched at Mizzou. Just rooted for his teammates, wanted Gunnar to do well.

* Wilson said he felt more comfortable in the up-tempo, hurry-up offense. Suggested he’d like to do it more.

* Wilson thinks Cats have a huge weapon in Ahmad Wagner, hopes he’ll be on the field more as the season winds down.

* Darin Hinshaw echoed what Wilson said about tempo and the two-minute drill, smiled really big when he talked about Terry doing it well in practice, which brings me to...

* Editorial Hunch: I think the Cats are going to try to play up-tempo and go with some no-Huddle stuff on Saturday. They actually practiced with crowd noise today, which we’ve never seen for a home game. My thought is maybe they know they’re going tempo/no-Huddle so the communication has to be strong. Just something to watch for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News