ADVERTISEMENT

UK Football Offense 2023

jlock7614

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 26, 2012
Louisville
There's no sense in dwelling in all the negatives surrounding the UK Athletic Department currently. I prefer to focus on the positive side of life and the prospects on the Offensive side of the ball for UK football look outstanding going into 2023. Here are my thoughts on the depth chart as of 1.10.2023

QB - Devin Leary / Destin Wade / Kaiya Sheron
RB - Ray Davis / JuTahn McClain / La'Vell Wright / Jamarion Wilcox / Ramon Jefferson
WR - Dane Key / Shamar Porter / Ardell Banks
WR - Barion Brown / Dekel Crowdus / Jordan Anthony
WR - Tayvion Robinson / Anthony Brown / Brandon White
H/FB - Izayah Cummings / Justice Dingle
TE - Jordan Dingle / Brenden Bates / Josh Kattus / Khamari Anderson
LT - Marques Cox / David Wohlabaugh / Nikolas Hall
LG - Kenneth Horsey / Tanner Bowles / Grant Bingham
C - Eli Cox / Tanner Bowles / Koby Keenum / Paul Rodriguez
RG - Jager Burton / Tanner Bowles / Josh Jones
RT - Jeremy Flax / Deondre Buford / Austin Ramsey

- Still in shock we got Devin Leary in our QB room. The injury issues can't go unnoticed but he has all the tools to be a Top 5 quarterback in the SEC. Will Levis is more physically talented but Leary will put up better statistical numbers in his one season at UK than either of Levis's two seasons in Lexington. That's not a slight against Will at all as Scang / Oline didn't do him any favors in 2022. With the return of Coen and an explosive WR Room for Leary to use (baring an injury) Devin should put up great numbers in 2023. Destin Wade has to be thrilled that Coen has returned.

- We are in for a pretty drastic change in the RB room for 2023. It will be interesting to see what kind of philosophical changes UK makes going forward when you consider the types of bodies and skill sets that now take residence in the RB room. It goes without saying but the loss of Chris Rodriguez is massive. Ray Davis is a great replacement but I'm not sold on all the pieces behind him. The light hasn't fully been turned on for JuTahn or LaVell (more so). Jamarion Wilcox may be the most talented back we've had in the room since Stoops has been here but he's a freshman. My wild card is Ramon Jefferson. If healthy, I think he and Davis could provide a great one, two punch.

- Craig Yeast, Quentin McCord, Kevin Coleman / Keenan Burton, Stevie Johnson, Dicky Lyons >>>>>> the only two WR rooms in my lifetime that come close to the talent that UK will have next season. Super happy about Tayvion Robinson returning. Excited about seeing Key and Brown take the next step. Two studs entering the picture with Shamar Porter and Anthony Brown. Really interest to see if Jordan Anthony's speed can be utilized (would love to go 5 wide one time with Barion Brown, Dekel Crowdus, Jordan Anthony, Anthony Brown, and Tayvion Robison just to see what happens). What an explosive room and overhaul in the last 3 seasons.

- Was pleasantly surprised to see Brenden Bates return but I do worry about what happens with someone like Izayah Cummings. With that out of the way, Jordan Dingle is a stud and with the focus from the secondary shifting to Brown and Key, he should have a great season. Love what Kattus brings to the table but wish he were just a step faster. Khamari Anderson is a big time addition but probably a year away from contributing. If Right Tackle isn't fixed either through the portal or by current roster development I can see Bates or Kattus positioned frequently to that side in order to help. Hopefully, Cummings returns to form from his one season under Coen. There's a lot to like about the TE room.

- I think the Offensive line returns to form in 2023. Maybe not as dominate as it once was but certainly much better than the product that was put on the field in 2022. I think you can be really optimistic when you look at LT, LG, C, RG. There is size, talent, and experience through those four positions. You also have three players that can swing to other positions as needed in Tanner Bowles, Jager Burton, and Deondre Buford. Anxious to see the development of David Wohlabaugh, Nik Hall, Grant Bingham, and Kody Keenum. Of course, RT is the most glaring issue on the offensive side of the ball and I pray it gets sorted out. The Oline obviously had their issues but I don't think you can lay all the problems solely at their feet (inexperienced, new position coach, poor coordinator, poor play calling, and a QB who struggled managing the pocket at times).

Should be one of the more fun UK offenses in some time as Liam Coen will have plenty of talent at his disposal. If Leary stays healthy (fingers crossed), I think UK takes a major leap going forward on the offensive side of the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News