ADVERTISEMENT

UK closing in on becoming a football playoff contender

gamalielkid

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2002
I really believe that we are going to be really close to being a playoff contender. I say this even though our coaching situation from head coach to offensive and defensive co-ordinators is definitely questionable. Coach Stoops has done what Kentucky needed to have done - he has shown you can win at Kentucky, you can recruit competitive players and he has been instrumental in helping UK get the necessary physical plant needs for our players. He has built a "football family" culture and Kentucky is not a joke - like it was only 10 years ago. As many of us "oldtimer's" said before Stoops came here - Kentucky needs to recruit like the Bear did - the states close to Kentucky with talent. Stoops followed that plan - and he has proven it successful again. That's also what West Viriginia did when it was having huge success. I believe Virginia Tech did the same.

When you read about players now - they talk about how good of a program Kentucky is and we are a strong consideration for most players who have talent now! We are not Alabama or Georgia - but few other programs are in reality! But with NIL and transfer rules now - we can be very good very quickly. It's now time for Kentucky to be thinking of winning and participating in the college football playoffs- its no long only 4 teams as it is 12 and will soon be 16! So, Kentucky has to be honest and ask itself - do we have the right coaches in place to get us to that level? Do we have coaches who believe in UK and want to be at UK. I firmly believe we need to have coaches who are not looking to move on to a bigger name school at the drop of a hat. We need good coaches - but more importantly we need coaches who want Kentucky to be their destination - not a punch card stop! Those coaches are out there - we have to find them, recruit them and support them.

Our Athletic Department and Administration has to be be willing to make the moves and demand loyalty to our program. A Head coaches buyout should be at least as much as he is being paid. If a coach isn't willing to sign it - then he really isn't committed to Kentucky with all his heart. We know that if a big time school wants a coach - a coach's buyout fee is no longer relevant! UK is getting $53 million from the SEC this year. Any school getting that kind of money who wants our coach can play the buyout.

Go Big Blue!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News