ADVERTISEMENT

UK as a #4 Seed - Best match up to advance?

UK as a #4 Seed - What #1 Seed do you want to play in the Sweet 16?

• Houston

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Purdue

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • UConn

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters

Farsight

Junior
Nov 27, 2011
If the tournament started today, and UK got a 4 Seed. What #1 Seed does UK have the best chance against to make an Elite 8?

With the calls ZE gets, I would personally prefer to play Houston. The only thing to beat a good defense, is a nuclear offense! 😎

We’d run Purdue off the court
Purdue is who I would pick out of the three options for sure.. but I don't think this UK is running anyone off the court (not named Vanderbilt)...especially if we are talking about a matchup with a one seed.

But, as I stated, Purdue would be the best matchup. UK would roast their guards offensively (as they do to all backcourts), and UK would basically have 15 fouls (between Ugo, Z, and Bradshaw) to throw at Edey. Plus, Edey would actually have to guard Z and Bradshaw as well.

I would think a high scoring game would be in order, but the Cats, in my opinion, would win something like 105-99, or something like that. Would definitely be a shootout!

Purdue is who I would pick out of the three options for sure.. but I don't think this UK is running anyone off the court (not named Vanderbilt)...especially if we are talking about a matchup with a one seed.

But, as I stated, Purdue would be the best matchup. UK would roast their guards offensively (as they do to all backcourts), and UK would basically have 15 fouls (between Ugo, Z, and Bradshaw) to throw at Edey. Plus, Edey would actually have to guard Z and Bradshaw as well.

I would think a high scoring game would be in order, but the Cats, in my opinion, would win something like 105-99, or something like that. Would definitely be a shootout!
Well yeah, they’ll score 95+ just because our defense is awful but I think our guards would feast. I don’t think Houston is a bad matchup either. I don’t think they could slow us down much

Edey would foul our entire roster of bigs out, who are we kidding? Thiero and Burks will have to defend him at some point, and then it's Teddy Ballgame.

I don't trust Cal to run up-tempo in March, especially on Purdue. He'd slow it down and play right into their hands.

By the way, for those who haven't paid attention, Purdue has beaten the following teams this year:

Gonzaga (KenPom 15 - beat UK at Rupp)
Tennessee (KenPom 5 - potential 1 seed, worked UK at Rupp)
Marquette (KenPom 13 - potential 2 or 3 seed)
Alabama (KenPom 8 - potential 2 seed)
Arizona (KenPom 4 - potential 1 seed)
Illinois KenPom 12 - potential 3 seed)

And yet people here confidently, repeatedly sh*t on Purdue because of past history in the NCAAT, as if that really matters for this year's team ... LOL!

Interesting all the sudden confidence. Run someone off the 3 point line, or get someone in foul trouble or any comments on defense seems like no one has watched our games? We got behind in the second half at home against Arkansas! An Arkansas that will not be in the NCAA tournament. Yet, a number one seed suddenly we are going to do this and that?

I think we have a great offensive team but I have no idea how we are going to perform consistently against really good teams. It certainly will take some breaks and Cal staying out of the way.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Edey would foul our entire roster of bigs out, who are we kidding? Thiero and Burks will have to defend him at some point, and then it's Teddy Ballgame.

I don't trust Cal to run up-tempo in March, especially on Purdue. He'd slow it down and play right into their hands.

By the way, for those who haven't paid attention, Purdue has beaten the following teams this year:

Gonzaga (KenPom 15 - beat UK at Rupp)
Tennessee (KenPom 5 - potential 1 seed, worked UK at Rupp)
Marquette (KenPom 13 - potential 2 or 3 seed)
Alabama (KenPom 8 - potential 2 seed)
Arizona (KenPom 4 - potential 1 seed)
Illinois KenPom 12 - potential 3 seed)

And yet people here confidently, repeatedly sh*t on Purdue because of past history in the NCAAT, as if that really matters for this year's team ... LOL!
Careful with that logic though...you are holding UKs past performances in March against Cal (when you say you don't trust Cal in March), yet on the other hand you are calling out ppl for holding Purdue's recent tournament performances against them.

You can't have it both ways. Painter continually craps down his leg in March. Not like it has just been one year where that has happened, has been multiple yrs. So you can't just say "well this is a different yr" for Purdue (when Painter has consistently failed in March), but then turned around and say I don't trust Cal (even though this a different yr and completely different UK team).

With the calls ZE gets, I would personally prefer to play Houston. The only thing to beat a good defense, is a nuclear offense! 😎
True but we do have a 15 fouls to spare. 20 if you count Mitchell.

Of course with our luck, we’d draw an officiating trio of Jamie Luckie, Ron Groover and Pat Adams. Which would mean Thiero would likely be guarding Edey by game’s end. 😪

Interesting all the sudden confidence. Run someone off the 3 point line, or get someone in foul trouble or any comments on defense seems like no one has watched our games? We got behind in the second half at home against Arkansas! An Arkansas that will not be in the NCAA tournament. Yet, a number one seed suddenly we are going to do this and that?

I think we have a great offensive team but I have no idea how we are going to perform consistently against really good teams. It certainly will take some breaks and Cal staying out of the way.
You saw what we did to Auburn, Alabama, and even UNC this year right? You pick the game against Arky as your example, I will pick the games against the top seeds we have faced. Purdue doesn't scare me at all for the reason being those games and the matchup problems we create for them. UNC was on a neutral site and Auburn was a road game.

Like I said in the post earlier, UCONN would be the toughest matchup of the 3. I'd like to avoid that of possible but it would sure be sweet redemption if we did take them out if the tournament this year. Houston doesn't scare me as much because I don't think they could outscore us. Their defense is excellent but I see us still scoring 80 or more and I don't see them matching us on that.

We've laid eggs this season plenty, but never against the elite competition. Sure Tennessee beat us but it was a shootout style game. We still showed up to play that day just couldn't get any stops.

With Purdue, you would have to double team Edey and do your best to deny him the ball. I am sure lots of teams have thought of that approach, as well, and gone down in flames.

In any case, we would have to do our best to bother his shot and not allow easy put-backs.

I still think Purdue would be the best match up, followed by UConn and then Houston, as we struggle with intense defensive teams.

Arkansas was our most recent game so yes I saw it. We also won a great exciting game against Miss State on a last second shot after being behind for most of that game. Now if you say well it was a tough away environment than you have to be consistent that Arkansas was at home and again they are not a tournament level team. Plus, not too long ago we lost to a lousy LSU team. Our defense makes all these teams look like top level. Auburn was a great win as was Bama and UNC. But, UNC came close and why if we improved wouldn't they have as well?

I hope we win the National Championship beat Tenn and never lose another game. But, I go by what has happened to date and that has been pretty awful defense. Our recent wins or even losses have come against teams no where near the level of Purdue or these other top seeds. Yes, we may be better but not yet.

A 10 loss UK team is a 5 or 6 seed.
Depends on when we lose in Nashville. If you assume we smoke Vandy, lose respectably to UT, and then lose Sat or Sun in the SECT, then I think we still have a solid shot at a 4. Upside with wins at UT and/or winning the SECT is possibility for a 3 or even 2 seed in the right situation.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Purdue isn't a fast team, mostly because of Edey. We would beat the shit out of them in transition. I also think Edey would struggle guarding Big Z and Bradshaw because they are both fast.

Uconn would be a track meet. It would be like playing Arkansas this past weekend.

Houston is interesting because they struggle the score, but they are good defensively. However, teams with Good defenses haven't really slowed us down this year. We seem to be able to score on anyone. So they don't really scare me.

Reactions: catzfanjim
Purdue is going to be the popular choice but I am going to disagree.

The common thought is we would exploit Edey by making him guard the perimeter. I understand that notion, but the reality is our bigs don't shoot very many 3's, and none of them can beat their man off the bounce. It's not like we play Dirk Nowitzki at the 5. We have Big Z. He is a proven shooter, but he gets 2 or 3 looks per game at most.

If Painter has any kind of competent scouting on his staff, he plants Edey in the paint and lets Big Z/Bradshaw shoot as many 3's as they want. They'll concede those 12-15 points and take away the paint completely.

Offensively, Purdue would get 2 points literally every single possession Edey is in the game. Every single one of them barring a mistake on their part or a turnover. Graham Ike from Gonzaga chewed up and spit out every big we threw at him, do you guys honestly think we can slow down Edey? I don't.

I think Houston is probably our best matchup. They are really good, and their defense is incredible - but they don't have a ton of depth, they aren't great offensively, and we have played and beaten several elite defensive teams. The teams we have struggled with are elite defensive teams, play at a slow pace, and have a dominant big - Houston doesn't really have a dominant big - both of their starters at the 4 & 5 are only 6'8", and neither are double figure scorers.

I'm not saying we would beat Houston, I just happen to like our chances there more than UConn or Purdue.

I know I'm critical of Cal, sometimes to a fault.

I will say that he does have a tendency to beat teams that he probably shouldn't in the dance. So I think I'd feel cautiously optimistic against a team like Houston or Purdue. Maybe even UConn.

The problem I have is that we might lose to a lesser team with an easy road ahead of us (i.e. Auburn or KSU or even St. Peters from previous years) and won't get our chance to knock off a top seed.

I feel more confident about playing any 1 seed than any 5 seed ironically

Careful with that logic though...you are holding UKs past performances in March against Cal (when you say you don't trust Cal in March), yet on the other hand you are calling out ppl for holding Purdue's recent tournament performances against them.

You can't have it both ways. Painter continually craps down his leg in March. Not like it has just been one year where that has happened, has been multiple yrs. So you can't just say "well this is a different yr" for Purdue (when Painter has consistently failed in March), but then turned around and say I don't trust Cal (even though this a different yr and completely different UK team).
No, I don't trust Cal as a basketball coach. X's and O's. His March performances are predictable based on his regular season coaching. With Painter/Purdue, it's a March thing. Seems mental. But last year's freshmen guards are now sophomores, and Edey is MUCH better overall, plus they mixed in a solid transfer. I think people expecting Purdue to sh*t the bed early are going to be disappointed.

Either way, given who Purdue has beaten this season, to just expect UK to handle them is laughable and you know it.

Reactions: RunninRichie
The way the season has gone we may want to play all top seeds, this team thrives on playing good competition and let's down on average teams
I said something similar in another thread last week. We have had several tournament seasons where we had an easy path and lost. Everyone pre-game was either gloating about St Peters or already discussing the next probably contest. We had an injured Kansas State, an injured West Virginia, an Auburn team we had blown out in different tourney match-ups and lost them all. So, it may be true when the game is a challenge we do better.

Purdue is going to be the popular choice but I am going to disagree.

The common thought is we would exploit Edey by making him guard the perimeter. I understand that notion, but the reality is our bigs don't shoot very many 3's, and none of them can beat their man off the bounce. It's not like we play Dirk Nowitzki at the 5. We have Big Z. He is a proven shooter, but he gets 2 or 3 looks per game at most.

If Painter has any kind of competent scouting on his staff, he plants Edey in the paint and lets Big Z/Bradshaw shoot as many 3's as they want. They'll concede those 12-15 points and take away the paint completely.

Offensively, Purdue would get 2 points literally every single possession Edey is in the game. Every single one of them barring a mistake on their part or a turnover. Graham Ike from Gonzaga chewed up and spit out every big we threw at him, do you guys honestly think we can slow down Edey? I don't.

I think Houston is probably our best matchup. They are really good, and their defense is incredible - but they don't have a ton of depth, they aren't great offensively, and we have played and beaten several elite defensive teams. The teams we have struggled with are elite defensive teams, play at a slow pace, and have a dominant big - Houston doesn't really have a dominant big - both of their starters at the 4 & 5 are only 6'8", and neither are double figure scorers.

I'm not saying we would beat Houston, I just happen to like our chances there more than UConn or Purdue.
Well said.

I think we play Houston pretty well if the officials call the grabbing and holding they love to do.
Houston gets called honestly and they lose the 8/9 game.

I'd take them or Purdue and feel confident against them both. More so Houston as they have no depth and not much size.

Purdue isn't a fast team, mostly because of Edey. We would beat the shit out of them in transition. I also think Edey would struggle guarding Big Z and Bradshaw because they are both fast.

Uconn would be a track meet. It would be like playing Arkansas this past weekend.

Houston is interesting because they struggle the score, but they are good defensively. However, teams with Good defenses haven't really slowed us down this year. We seem to be able to score on anyone. So they don't really scare me.
Houston is South Carolina on steroids

I picked UCONN becuase that game would be crazy as hell and fun to watch. If we are going to lose then lets have a blast doing it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT