ADVERTISEMENT

Trying for Lanier

Lanier was not one of the 78 players invited to the NBA tryouts thing. He would be surrounded with a more talented team at UK than at UT. They got the Dubar guy that looks like a pretty good player and two bigs that are average. But they lost a ton. If they don't get Lanier they are probably in for a terrible year compared to what they have been doing.

The 96 team is the best team I've ever seen. I think 12 and 15 would give them tough games.

Davis would be a problem but they handled Tim Duncan in the elite 8 very well.

Teague handling the press would be the lynch pin. He did well that year but he was clearly the weak point of the team. UMass gave the 96 team so much trouble because Travieso and Padilla were cold blooded killers in the backcourt.

Who ever said Cal couldn't beat prime Pitino is an idiot. He beat him that year.

1996 team beat everyone they played. The only 2 teams that beat them made the final 4. They beat Tim Duncan and a UMass squad which was one of the best teams not to win the championship.

2012 team also beat every team they played. They had to play 3 rematchs on the way to the championship which is ridiculous to think about when one includes the archival with the ex coach in the final 4.

Last edited:
That's a shame. He would be the perfect piece to what we already have. Instead, he's probably headed to a depleted Tennessee roster.

Put him on this upcoming UK team, and he's our leading scorer on a team that will get a ton of publicity for being Pope's first squad.

We'd be a Final Four contender with him. He's the missing piece.
Depleted roster? They have 10 players right now.

Pitino > Calipari that’s where the advantage lies….. Calipari let Bo freaking Ryan out coach him. I mean let’s be honest that team should’ve finished undefeated no excuses at all why they shouldn’t have !
You have just plainly articulated why I have such a deep and abiding antipathy for the former guy. The history of U.K. 2015 should be: "40-0, 9th National Championship."
Alas !
Go 'Cats ! ! !

I'm tellin ya'll, or some of ya anyway. If Pope plays Pitino's game with the pieces he already has in place, with more to come...ya'll are gonna like Pope a lot and so will future recruits. Constant pressure and energy. They'll go very deep and every one will be the best conditioned in the country. It's truly an exciting style and will be fun. Go watch some videos of the UK Arky games from the early to mid nineties. Both of those teams played like that. Talk about fun games...they were some wars.

Pitino did it early but didn't have the talent. His system helped a lot at bringing in the talent to make his game a sewing machine. We don't have 1996 pieces but we're way, way better than what Pitino had to work with at the same time.

On D, spacing, getting into passing lanes and disrupting the other team's flow will big big. We'll chart deflections with as much or more emphasis than actual steals, because of that disruption caused. But Points off of turnovers...we'll win pretty much every night. Pitino would literally have the other team worn out and giving up before half time a lot. They were beat down, tired and didn't have any answers....for the DEFENSE. gONNA BE FUN, AT THE LEAST. tHAT'S ALL BASED ON pOPE PLAYING MORE LIKE pITINO THAN HE HAS WITH FAR LESS TALENT AND DEPTH AT uTAH sT AND byu....Oops! Sorry for caps! Lol!

I'm tellin ya'll, or some of ya anyway. If Pope plays Pitino's game with the pieces he already has in place, with more to come...ya'll are gonna like Pope a lot and so will future recruits. Constant pressure and energy. They'll go very deep and every one will be the best conditioned in the country. It's truly an exciting style and will be fun. Go watch some videos of the UK Arky games from the early to mid nineties. Both of those teams played like that. Talk about fun games...they were some wars.

Pitino did it early but didn't have the talent. His system helped a lot at bringing in the talent to make his game a sewing machine. We don't have 1996 pieces but we're way, way better than what Pitino had to work with at the same time.
We'll see.

Officiating in that game was borderline criminal too. How many times Fox and Monk got hacked going for a lay up and no call was insane.
Been a UK fan since 1969 and this 2017 game against UNCheats is the ONLY time that we ever lost in the NCAA tournament where that I said that we got robbed. The officiating was that blatantly bad. It was so blatant it was almost like John Higgins & his band of thieves was saying UK we're going to screw you & there's nothing you can do about it.

Been a UK fan since 1969 and this 2017 game against UNCheats is the ONLY time that we ever lost in the NCAA tournament where that I said that we got robbed. The officiating was that blatantly bad. It was so blatant it was almost like John Higgins & his band of thieves was saying UK we're going to screw you & there's nothing you can do about it.
UNC got handed the title in April, then let off the hook for decades of academic fraud later that summer. I’ve had trouble taking college basketball seriously since then, though I still hope for the best.

Better try to crush your opponents. Only way to make sure the refs can’t take it away from you.

UNC got handed the title in April, then let off the hook for decades of academic fraud later that summer. I’ve had trouble taking college basketball seriously since then, though I still hope for the best.

Better try to crush your opponents. Only way to make sure the refs can’t take it away from you.
Probably the worst reffing towards one side in the history of basketball that last 10 minutes. Probably the most mad I have ever been watching a game in my life. Think my wife didn't talk to me for days after I yelled at the tv at the top of my lungs and that pos Higgins. Final 8 minutes of Auburn game was also terrible, but this one....that team would have/deserved to win the title.

Throw the whole bag at this dude!
Another lead guard is obviously not the need. We need a couple of athletic combo forwards now, and it would be nice if at least one of them has multiple years of eligibility left. Sure wish Thiero would come to his senses and return to UK.

Last edited:
Are who they following really info on if they are coming here. That seems like grasping at whatever or hoping. Robinson we know the connection and how we get him here. With Lanier the only link is random people on Twitter stalking his followers

Reactions: jace2012
The videos on this kid are sick. He'd definitely pull a lot of minutes away from our other guards. I wonder if he'd ruffle a lot of feathers of other guards. I know the standard answer is we play for the name on the front of the jersey. Can you imagine him, Brea, and Robinson on the perimeter? Geeezzz

Reactions: NociHTTP
You have just plainly articulated why I have such a deep and abiding antipathy for the former guy. The history of U.K. 2015 should be: "40-0, 9th National Championship."
Alas !
Go 'Cats ! ! !
2015 is one of the biggest coaching fails of all time. No way should a team FULL of NBA Talent not win the NCAA championship. When you have the number's #1, #6, #12, #13, #44, #48, NBA draft picks PLUS Aaron Harrison, PLUS Tyler Ullis... and can't get into the championship game??? It's likely the most talented team of all time to not even make the championship game. The only other coaching fail I can think of that might be worse, is Coach K with Zion, RJ Barrett, and Cam Reddish... along with Tre Jones, Marquis Bolden, Jack White, DeLaurier. And lost in the Elite 8.

I don’t believe it. It seems manufactured by fans.
The smart money is that he goes to UT, but fans like you are interesting because all you do it play it safe with the odds. If good news breaks our way, and we land Lanier, a fan like you will simply say, "I'm gladly eating crow", as if your pessimism will be exonerated and forgotten.

I've seen it for years from fans on this message board. They mock the fans who are hopeful or optimistic but then scurry on the bandwagon when good news breaks like rats onto a ship.

In other words, it takes nothing to think the improbable is improbable. Why not dare to dream with the rest of us, brother?

The smart money is that he goes to UT, but fans like you are interesting because all you do it play it safe with the odds. If good news breaks our way, and we land Lanier, a fan like you will simply say, "I'm gladly eating crow", as if your pessimism will be exonerated and forgotten.

I've seen it for years from fans on this message board. They mock the fans who are hopeful or optimistic but then scurry on the bandwagon when good news breaks like rats onto a ship.

In other words, it takes nothing to think the improbable is improbable. Why not dare to dream with the rest of us, brother?
I've seen fans do the same thing with Perry too. "He won't play many minutes, he's a mop up player," ECT. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. But it's annoying to me when fans are just so sure of themselves about how good or not good a player will be. The same fans said Sheppard would be a 3 or 4 year player.

I've seen fans do the same thing with Perry too. "He won't play many minutes, he's a mop up player," ECT. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. But it's annoying to me when fans are just so sure of themselves about how good or not good a player will be. The same fans said Sheppard would be a 3 or 4 year player.
The other side is the people who think every recruit is a first round pick and will be amazing. I remember that guy here who hyped every player year after year.

Sheppard an example of efficiency. Lanier as highly efficient as you could get. Has to be on the floor most of the time. IMO Lanier would give us a good shot at the championship. Much better shot than UT. I think we still get a good scoring forward and with him and Lanier how many teams would have as talented and mature squad as UK? Would just be a matter of meshing it all together for the best outcome.

Good point.

A look at some of our "multiyear players":

Tyler Herro
Shai Gilgeous Alexander
Reed Sheppard
Eric Bledsoe
Johnny Juzang
Cam'Ron Fletcher
Isaiah Jackson

and so many more.

Sheppard an example of efficiency. Lanier as highly efficient as you could get. Has to be on the floor most of the time. IMO Lanier would give us a good shot at the championship. Much better shot than UT. I think we still get a good scoring forward and with him and Lanier how many teams would have as talented and mature squad as UK? Would just be a matter of meshing it all together for the best outcome.
I don't think Lanier is coming but if he did you think Kentucky has a shot at a championship? People need to lower expectations for coach Pope's first year, it's not fair to put that on him this year. The SEC is going to be tough and I think everyone should have a wait and see mind set. You do what you want to do but teams completely constructed from the portal have had mixed results.

Reactions: westerncat

I saw this and was majorly disappointed for about 5 seconds, until I realized it was a football “Lanier” committing to Duke… carry on.
Ohh you little fartknocker. Lmao. Got me all sad for a second. I’m not going to say I believe we get him but until he does sign with someone, I really want him at Kentucky. I actually think he and Robinson together and Anchor to take a power forward position would make us a preseason top five team and likely stay there close all season. Now before everyone gets on me and says feelings and minutes for others, this is my want for our team. You can have Robinson and three walk-on types if you like but I want to get the best we can get if we can and work it out in practice. Also, I just don’t get that thinking anyway with this roster, it’s not like we have seven of the best players in country who are and should automatically get their 35 minutes without anyone competing with them. I love who we have so far and will 100% be all in if that’s who we end with, but if we can get these guys we should at minimum try. Thanks and be easy. Haha.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT