ADVERTISEMENT

Trying for Lanier

It would be a close game. I think 2015 vs 1996 would be a barn burner. Both 10 deep. 2015's defense vs 1996's offense.
Pitino > Calipari that’s where the advantage lies….. Calipari let Bo freaking Ryan out coach him. I mean let’s be honest that team should’ve finished undefeated no excuses at all why they shouldn’t have!

It would be a close game. I think 2015 vs 1996 would be a barn burner. Both 10 deep. 2015's defense vs 1996's offense.
1996 had defense and a prime Rick Pitino. That alone wins IMO. Cal couldn’t beat a prime Pitino who would press that 7 deep roster into oblivion. They would get tired and it’s one team who could attack Davis and potentially get him in foul trouble.

I'm taking AD and Jones over McCarty, Pope, Prickett, and Walker. MKG vs Anderson and Mercer would decide the game.
I’m taking the bench and Epps/Delk over Teague/Lamb though and I love Lamb but Senior 00 was that good. Walker was easily as good of a college and a better pro than Jones, but I agree it’s kinda a wash and AD wins against anyone.

1996 had defense and a prime Rick Pitino. That alone wins IMO. Cal couldn’t beat a prime Pitino who would press that 7 deep roster into oblivion. They would get tired and it’s one team who could attack Davis and potentially get him in foul trouble.
2015 had the best defense in kenpom history. It would be very close. Don't forget those guys held Wisconsin one of the highest rated offensive teams in kenpom history to 64 points before they started fouling.

And they did it with 0 film scouting.

2015 had the best defense in kenpom history. It would be very close. Don't forget those guys held Wisconsin one of the highest rated offensive teams in kenpom history to 64 points before they started fouling.
I agree 2015 would be a better overall matchup for 1996 than 2012 to me at least. 2015 should have won but again Cal.

RunninRichie said:

Are you mixing up the 12 and 15 team? The championship 12 team went 7 deep with Davis. The 15 team went 10+ deep.

Davis and Jones are as good of a big man combo as I've ever seen. Thunder and lightning. Perfect compliments to each other, even better than the Noah/Horford duo from the back to back UF championship teams.

2015 had a dumbass coach but the raw talent and SIZE on that team would make most NBA teams blush. I'd pay good money to watch all 3 teams play each other in a best of 3 round Robin.

How old are you guys and did you get to actually see our teams of the 90’s play? To me that was the best basketball of my lifetime and I’m 44 and I’ll be turning 45 this year. I do like some of the teams Cal put together but the exciting style was in the the 90’s where it seemed like every game we had a chance to win and win big.

How old are you guys and did you get to actually see our teams of the 90’s play? To me that was the best basketball of my lifetime and I’m 44 and I’ll be turning 45 this year. I do like some of the teams Cal put together but the exciting style was in the the 90’s where it seemed like every game we had a chance to win and win big.
38. Agreed.

Pope isn’t gonna over recruit guys he just isn’t
You could be and most likely are right brother. I’m just excited to death about the team so far and of course want the very best of the best we can get. Appreciate the post. Those guys I mentioned would be the dream to add for me, we may get one or two and another bench guy to bring along for the future, I don’t think guys are going to stay too long anywhere in this new world of basketball though. lol I’ll jump up and down the whole game no matter who we get. Haha.

62 here. Almost every game, the question was not would the Cats win, but by how much? Most games over by halftime.

Wall and Bledsoe COULD have handled that press. IMO

RunninRichie said:

Are you mixing up the 12 and 15 team? The championship 12 team went 7 deep with Davis. The 15 team went 10+ deep.

Davis and Jones are as good of a big man combo as I've ever seen. Thunder and lightning. Perfect compliments to each other, even better than the Noah/Horford duo from the back to back UF championship teams.

2015 had a dumbass coach but the raw talent and SIZE on that team would make most NBA teams blush. I'd pay good money to watch all 3 teams play each other in a best of 3 round Robin.
I’m not mixing anything up if you were referring to my comment. We were discussing about 2012 vs. 1996. That is why I said they would press that team to death, and 2012 would get tired because of the depth. Then Ritchie started talking about 2015 so we got on that a little.

Last edited:
Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
62 here. Almost every game, the question was not would the Cats win, but by how much? Most games over by halftime.
It’s was just like poetry. Unbelievably beautiful basketball with every single player on the floor giving everything that had every second. Had never saw a better team before or after that. Now I do think the 2015 is the closest thing to them even though they had that one game I won’t mention. lol. Next would be the 98 team and then 2012. That’s some of all time best teams ever with only maybe a couple UCLA teams being right there with them. I pray I get to see Kentucky get back to that level before the big last day. Guys, we’re the luckiest fans in the world. I swear I get emotional sometimes thinking about it. Haha. I’m sure a few fans may have the order of my teams ranked totally different but that’s cool with me. It’s been fun watching all them play.

Reactions: ORCAT10
if we could have added Osober to this lineup along with Lanier that team would have been nasty and an instant contender. Bummed we lost out on him but getting Lanier alone like you said improves us tremendously and in the conversation with Popes coaching ability.
I felt the same way but big picture Pope had to secure Garrison when the opportunity presented itself. Garrison has potentially 3 more yrs if he stays at UK.

Lanier may be deciding soon according to UT fans. If that’s the case it’s gotta be tennesssee
That's a shame. He would be the perfect piece to what we already have. Instead, he's probably headed to a depleted Tennessee roster.

Put him on this upcoming UK team, and he's our leading scorer on a team that will get a ton of publicity for being Pope's first squad.

We'd be a Final Four contender with him. He's the missing piece.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I know it’s going to be hard but man this kid would be a difference maker for our team if we get him!

It would be beautiful to steal him from Tennessee.

This team is perfectly aligned someone like Lanier.

Pope would likely still go after Robinson, and he's have the option of going small with Robinson or Oweh at the 4 at times. Small ball, riot ball offense lineup:

G - KK - 43% from three
G - Lanier - 44% from three
G - Brea - 50% from three
G - Oweh - 37% from three or Robinson 35% from three
C - Carr - 37% from three

How do you defend that?

That's a shame. He would be the perfect piece to what we already have. Instead, he's probably headed to a depleted Tennessee roster.

Put him on this upcoming UK team, and he's our leading scorer on a team that will get a ton of publicity for being Pope's first squad.

We'd be a Final Four contender with him. He's the missing piece.
It could just be Tennessee fans hoping to, they are just as bad about that as we are, but we will find out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT