ADVERTISEMENT

Trent Noah released from NLI

He is solid. I don’t know how much of a difference maker he is but he’s a good player.
Robinson is the better player right now but kugel has more potential. Kugel needs coach who is gonna let him play. I would take kugel and hope you unlock his potential because is there. Lanier and Robinson are still the first options though

I can see Tennessee being an option. Quite a few people from Harlan and county’s on the line are fans of them for some reason. lol. I worked in that area a few years back in the day and would run into orange stuff here and there. Mostly Kentucky fans but you know. He’d be a good piece for anyone to build with no matter where he ends up.
Historically, it is common for the same folks around Middlesboro to be UT football fans and UK basketball fans. In Harlan County, there is a greater percentage of UK football fans (Freddie Maggard is a local hero). On the basketball side, I have never met a UT fan from Harlan--UK all the way.

I guess the people starting 100 threads about him can rejoice.

Seems like a solid depth piece and the type of guy you can get to fill out the roster without expectation of much playing time this coming season so all for it.
South Carolina’s coach said he’d be a major contributor next season for them.

So, with that being said, if we can get this kid, he’d be a great pickup for Pope!

Historically, it is common for the same folks around Middlesboro to be UT football fans and UK basketball fans. In Harlan County, there is a greater percentage of UK football fans (Freddie Maggard is a local hero). On the basketball side, I have never met a UT fan from Harlan--UK all the way.
Guess I got unlucky or something. lol. I’m sure there’s very few of them. Had a guy in high school that wore a damn Duke hat and shirt about every day. That kid wasn’t real popular! Haha.

Middlesboro has so many people that come through the tunnel from TN to shop, I don't know if you can really gauge how many people that live in Middlesboro is actually a UT tan. The mall and Walmart parking lot is full of TN license plates. Might be locals going for the cheap tags in TN too, but I think it requires an address now. Definitely a lot of orange in the town. It's really the only place I go like that. I never see a UT hat when I'm in Harlan. It's a Middlesboro thing .

Reactions: InAcorner
If Riley kugel becomes available again and it’s looking like he is, would anybody want Kentucky to try and get him
Yeah he’s a really good player. We may have a need for a couple different kind of player though. I mean we need that scorer that can go get the last second bucket, get fouled or whatever and someone like Robinson, if there’s anyone like that of course. lol. I still would like to add that good power player who can rebound and get putbacks and play tough inside defense as well. A lot to ask for I suppose. Hey he’s a good player and wouldn’t be mad about him.

I sure can! Too many people forget this is the University of KENTUCKY, not New Jersey Univ, Lexington Campus as Cal apparently believed it to be. Native Kentuckians will expend every oz of energy and sweat they have to uphold the UK tradition. AS an aside Harlan has two legendary connections to UK- it's the home of Wah Wah Jones, UK All American and NCAA champion in 48 and 49 and Cawood Ledford , the beloved voice of the wildcats for over thirty years. Bring him on!
Plus Dickie Parsons. He was a contributor on the '58 National Championship team as a freshmen, was an all-american baseball player and assistant basketball coach. GO CATS!!

Guess I got unlucky or something. lol. I’m sure there’s very few of them. Had a guy in high school that wore a damn Duke hat and shirt about every day. That kid wasn’t real popular! Haha.
I had a couple stragglers at my HS In Jeffersonville. 50% UK fans, 25% IU fans, 20% UfoL fans and 5% Duke/UNC posers. Even in Southern Indiana/Louisville area UK has a majority.

Reactions: JASUN74
I thought Freddie was from Somerset.

Just watched his state tourney tape over on KSR. The polar opposite of the typical Cal wings that were "long" and "athletic", but who had this nagging weakness of not being particularly good shooters. This guy has a sturdy almost thick build and won't be mistaken for a skywalker, but he's crafty and tough and has a quick release....and I guarantee he'll be a better outside shooter than either Edwards, Thierro or Burks.

Reactions: Fox2monk
He hasn’t yet and we’re still in contact. Most people thought he was a done deal a week ago, now, not as much. May not be us of course but he’s still available and is listening. Unless he has announced something today.
It's done he has committed to St.Johns

WOOOOOOAH! That's awesome.

If he chooses UK, I'm sure we will get accused of tampering in some capacity. lol

Middlesboro has so many people that come through the tunnel from TN to shop, I don't know if you can really gauge how many people that live in Middlesboro is actually a UT tan. The mall and Walmart parking lot is full of TN license plates. Might be locals going for the cheap tags in TN too, but I think it requires an address now. Definitely a lot of orange in the town. It's really the only place I go like that. I never see a UT hat when I'm in Harlan. It's a Middlesboro thing .
My daughter attends Lincoln Memorial University, so we are in Middlesboro quite a bit. Really the folks on the TN side of the mountain really have no options for shopping or food for the most part unless they go into Middlesboro. It’s not a metropolis but it’s a lot more than Harrogate.

Get this kid to UK and then get him on the "Knees over toes" guy workout program. That dude can put several inches on a vertical and really improve the first step. This kid could hit that workout hard for 2 years and be a stud by his jr year.

Reactions: Fox2monk and Fadhi
I love having one or two KY kids. Even if they are walk ons. Would rather have a KY kid as a walk on over some kid from Moon Township, Pa
Seems like every championship UK has had a Kentuckian playing a key role.

From my lifetime.

78 Macy, Lee, and Givens
96 Epps and Anderson
98 Padgett and Mills
12 Miller

I believe these are correct from before my time.

48 Jones and Beard
49 Jones and Beard
51 Ramsey and Hagan
58 Basically the whole team.

Will either Perry or Noah if he comes here play key roles on a title team? Might be a year to soon for that to happen. I'll be crossing my fingers though. Sheppard would have been the perfect Kentuckian to get back and help lead us to the promised land. Unfortunately, he was to good to soon. Even with a coach trying to hold him back.

Reactions: KFuqua
Hard for me to imagine that a star high school player from the home county of U.K. Legend Wah Wah Jones would want to play anywhere other than for the 'Cats.

Reactions: KFuqua
I wonder if Pope is recruiting him, I have not read anywhere that they are may have overlooked it, I hope they are.

Remember ages ago got transferred with my job to Harlan. I rented a place in Loyall from Noah's grandfather, Perky Bryant, who played football for the Cats. Remember at Perky's house locking my keys in the car and Perky called the cops to come open it for me. Perky was a super nice guy. Who would have ever thought 50 years later or ever how long I would be hyped over his grandson getting to play basketball for the Cats. Remember Baxter being between Loyall and Harlan. Thankfully the people there accepted me because I was 'from Kentucky' and 'one of them.'

Last edited:
Seems like every championship UK has had a Kentuckian playing a key role.

From my lifetime.

78 Macy, Lee, and Givens
96 Epps and Anderson
98 Padgett and Mills
12 Miller

I believe these are correct from before my time.

48 Jones and Beard
49 Jones and Beard
51 Ramsey and Hagan
58 Basically the whole team.

Will either Perry or Noah if he comes here play key roles on a title team? Might be a year to soon for that to happen. I'll be crossing my fingers though. Sheppard would have been the perfect Kentuckian to get back and help lead us to the promised land. Unfortunately, he was to good to soon. Even with a coach trying to hold him back.
Thought Macy was from Indiana?

My daughter attends Lincoln Memorial University, so we are in Middlesboro quite a bit. Really the folks on the TN side of the mountain really have no options for shopping or food for the most part unless they go into Middlesboro. It’s not a metropolis but it’s a lot more than Harrogate.
You are right. There is not very much between Middlesboro and Tazewell TN. It's a shorter trip from Harrogate to Middlesboro, than from Harrogate to Tazewell..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT