ADVERTISEMENT

Travis Perry next in line

bigbluefattycat

All-American
Oct 6, 2005
Next in line to be a UK legend. Probably has a better chance under Pope's system. He will learn more analytics under Pope to prepare him to be a coach down the road. Imagine if he is part of a championship team at UK then comes back after his playing career to join the staff. Take over once Pope is done and win one as the coach. Son of a coach you know it's in his blood. Thought it would be Travis Ford but he came up short. No pun intended.

Next in line to be a UK legend. Probably has a better chance under Pope's system. He will learn more analytics under Pope to prepare him to be a coach down the road. Imagine if he is part of a championship team at UK then comes back after his playing career to join the staff. Take over once Pope is done and win one as the coach. Son of a coach you know it's in his blood. Thought it would be Travis Ford but he came up short. No pun intended.
He will probably stay longer, I hope we win big while he’s here. I want him to have a great legacy at Kentucky.

I think he will surprise some folks as a player. Those who are expecting a smaller Reed Sheppard
are in for a shock. The two players have 3 things in common: Kentucky, pale skin, and shooting ability. They are very different type players. I watched the highlights of Perry's battle against Sheppard when Perry was a junior and Perry hit 10/16 from 3 point range and I think only one or two shots was catch and shoot. He reminded me of a CJ Lofton type...but one who could get anywhere he wanted off the dribble. The only question about him is defense; on offense he's been good enough for college for a while now.

I think he will surprise some folks as a player. Those who are expecting a smaller Reed Sheppard
are in for a shock. The two players have 3 things in common: Kentucky, pale skin, and shooting ability. They are very different type players. I watched the highlights of Perry's battle against Sheppard when Perry was a junior and Perry hit 10/16 from 3 point range and I think only one or two shots was catch and shoot. He reminded me of a CJ Lofton type...but one who could get anywhere he wanted off the dribble. The only question about him is defense; on offense he's been good enough for college for a while now.

I think his hustle, heart, and basketball intelligence will help him on the defensive end. He has good hands and instincts to make plays on and off the ball for steals/deflections. Can he contain a high level athlete off the bounce? That will be the question. With Amari waiting to throw it off the glass gives him some room to learn.

I think we have been so conditioned to focus on players when attempting to forecast players' success that we forget about coaching. With good coaching we don't have to worry about always getting the best players and we can expect to see real player development which has been missing.

Well Reed wasn’t a great defender. He had good instincts and could steal the ball, but overall he left a lot to be desired. I could see Perry being in that range. Especially with a coach who will switch defenses up to help his players if needed.

Well Reed wasn’t a great defender. He had good instincts and could steal the ball, but overall he left a lot to be desired. I could see Perry being in that range. Especially with a coach who will switch defenses up to help his players if needed.
All true. I just meant they were extremely different type players on offense.

Reactions: Fox2monk
He’s going to surprise some people with his play this year….

Playing defense mostly requires effort. It's not easy to fight through screens, and it's not easy to stay in front of a really good ball-handler. Etc., etc. I've never seen Travis play, and frankly have only read very little about him, but ... what I have read about him leads me to believe that - whatever else he might lack (in size, for instance) - he won't be lacking in effort. That's really all I need to know.

Reactions: clifm and ukfan1622
Playing defense mostly requires effort. It's not easy to fight through screens, and it's not easy to stay in front of a really good ball-handler. Etc., etc. I've never seen Travis play, and frankly have only read very little about him, but ... what I have read about him leads me to believe that - whatever else he might lack (in size, for instance) - he won't be lacking in effort. That's really all I need to know.
The only thing I can say for certain is that, at the high school level, he did not need to be open when he caught the ball to be able to get off a three that had a good chance of going in. He shoots a cross between a jump shot and a set shot with a very quick release. He reminds me of a cousin when I was a kid that was 2 inches shorter than me and couldn't jump as high and shot only set shots. It frustrated me to no end that I could never block that shot but his hands were just quicker than mine.

I think we have been so conditioned to focus on players when attempting to forecast players' success that we forget about coaching. With good coaching we don't have to worry about always getting the best players and we can expect to see real player development which has been missing.
I agree in part .
My mind races back to the Tubby days.
Good coach but the lack of talent took him down.
I hope Pope is able to get nucleolus players to build around.JMO

I agree in part .
My mind races back to the Tubby days.
Good coach but the lack of talent took him down.
I hope Pope is able to get nucleolus players to build around.JMO
I understand your comments about Tubby, but based on who Pope has already offered scholarships to, he doesn't mind putting the recruiting work. Consider the extra effort Pope put into signing Carr. I don't think Cal would have done that.

I thought back in the day it would be Kyle Macy...

Reactions: bigbluefattycat
I understand your comments about Tubby, but based on who Pope has already offered scholarships to, he doesn't mind putting the recruiting work. Consider the extra effort Pope put into signing Carr. I don't think Cal would have done that.
Tubbys downfall was not recruiting AAU top kids.

I agree. Good coach, fervent recruiter.

The literal first sentence of the post I replied to starts with “Next line to be a UK legend”. What are you talking about?
I just meant that nobody thinks he's already a UK legend before playing his first game, even if they think he can become that in the future. I wasn't trying to start an argument. Of course, he already is a Kentucky high school basketball legend; being the number one scorer in Kentucky basketball history mean he won't ever be forgotten.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT