ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal is Exhausting

Shouldn't this upcoming year be the last year for COVID guys? That would be the 5th year for guys who were freshman in the 19-20 season, or does it count guys who started in 20-21?
20-21 was the free year. 2020 with the canceled tournament counted against players' eligibility. So, if you were a freshman in 2020-21 you could play that year and it not count, play 2021-22 and 2022-23, and now still have 2 more years (so through 2024-25 season). Plus, guys could play in 2020-21, redshirt another year, and be eligible through the 2025-26 season (though MOST players will have exhausted their eligibility after the 2024-25 season).

Long story short, still 1 more offseason/transfer portal season with lots of extra guys. Summer of 2025, very few covid guys left and everybody except freshmen will have already had an opportunity to use a free transfer. I expect that by then, things will be at least somewhat less chaotic. But we have to get through 1 more year.

I treat it like NFL free agency - I don’t pay too much attention to it, and will check my team’s final roster on the last cut down day.

I’m not sweating any of it and we’ll roll with who we have by the time fall semester begins.

Reactions: Fox2monk
n3T2WwT.png
He accused me of being a mod once, now he’s accusing me of being you lol dude is crazy

1. I give the NCAA a pass on NIL chaos. The Supreme Court decision sort of tied their hands IMO.
2. But the transfer portal was the NCAA decision and they didn't have to do it. We already had the graduate transfer no sitting out policy....which had some logic to it. And most could have found a way to allow immediate transfer for cases when the head coach leaves....but there was never a good rationale for allowing any other scenarios to play out and this is as easy as nixing that rule and make kids start to sit the year out and that would slow this down considerably. And it's the right thing to do for the sport.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I would say the 4 biggest changes to college basketball in the last 50 years are:

1. Freshman being eligible to play varsity basketball
2. High school players no longer eligible for the draft
3. Transfer portal with immediate eligibility
4. NIL

Two of those happened at basically the same time created pretty much total chaos.
wrong order, NIL is all that matters. NIL will destroy many programs in both basketball and football.

1. I give the NCAA a pass on NIL chaos. The Supreme Court decision sort of tied their hands IMO.
2. But the transfer portal was the NCAA decision and they didn't have to do it. We already had the graduate transfer no sitting out policy....which had some logic to it. And most could have found a way to allow immediate transfer for cases when the head coach leaves....but there was never a good rationale for allowing any other scenarios to play out and this is as easy as nixing that rule and make kids start to sit the year out and that would slow this down considerably. And it's the right thing to do for the sport.
I don't give them a pass. We are in this mess because the NCAA put their head in the sand thinking this would go away. Jeremy Bloom is the perfect example of this. In the early 2000's, the NCAA deemed he would be ineligible to play football at Colorado if he took endorsements for his Olympic skiing career. How stupid is that?

Instead of tackle this head on 5-10 years ago and put a system in place, they let it get to where they have zero control over any of it. I'm all for players making money off their NIL, but the idea of what it should be and what it is are 2 different things. The NCAA should have been totally proactive with this instead of reactive.

I don't give them a pass. We are in this mess because the NCAA put their head in the sand thinking this would go away. Jeremy Bloom is the perfect example of this. In the early 2000's, the NCAA deemed he would be ineligible to play football at Colorado if he took endorsements for his Olympic skiing career. How stupid is that?

Instead of tackle this head on 5-10 years ago and put a system in place, they let it get to where they have zero control over any of it. I'm all for players making money off their NIL, but the idea of what it should be and what it is are 2 different things. The NCAA should have been totally proactive with this instead of reactive.
While the ncaa stance was goofy in the Jeremy Bloom instance…this was inevitable and as the country turned to all this vague oppression scenario ..the supreme ruling basically tied ncaa hands

Right thing to do for the sport🤣🤣🤣

The sport is just fine, It's you the viewer that you are worried about. You only care about your enjoyment from following and watching basketball. You don't care about that actual kids that are putting their blood, sweat and tears into the sport .

If you had a kid that played college sports, you would see things differently.

If a kid is miserable at a school and you want to put obstacles in place to prevent him from transferring, you sound terrible.

No they tied their own hands hiding behind amateurism for 70 years. When O’Bannon started his lawsuit they should have came up with a proper way to pay kids and handle the situation in a way that was fair for them and the schools. It would have led to more structure and less chaos. Even after losing a couple court cases they still did nothing.

Reactions: Woodrow_Call_1998
While the ncaa stance was goofy in the Jeremy Bloom instance…this was inevitable and as the country turned to all this vague oppression scenario ..the supreme ruling basically tied ncaa hands
My stance is that they could have taken control of it initially, on how it would all work. I understand that their hands are tied now, but there was no intermediate. It went from 0 to 100. Had they introduced things or worked with athletes instead of digging their heels in the sand, I honestly don't think we would have the absolute mess we have now. They let this happen at a pace it should never have happened. I don't give them a pass at all.

Right thing to do for the sport🤣🤣🤣

The sport is just fine, It's you the viewer that you are worried about. You only care about your enjoyment from following and watching basketball. You don't care about that actual kids that are putting their blood, sweat and tears into the sport .

If you had a kid that played college sports, you would see things differently.

If a kid is miserable at a school and you want to put obstacles in place to prevent him from transferring, you sound terrible.

That's why you can't take some seriously. They live through the basketball team and determine their self worth depending on how a bunch of kids do, lmao. Scary. They don't give a hoot about anything other than their own enjoyment so why should the players or Calipari care about them? They don't, which makes them angrier. Luckily that's only a small portion of the base. Most are sane.

Last edited:
Reactions: cbrwalt
I'm sick of it... and I'd hate to be a College Coach right now

Catering to the players demands
Scared to sit a player cause they will transfer
Not knowing who's going to be on the team at the fricken December break.

I think there's going to be a lot of burn out... at least they are paid well.
The days of a coach willingly leaving the NBA for a college job are long gone. And moving forward the best college coaches who have legitimate pro options are going to bolt.

Reactions: DraftCat
No they tied their own hands hiding behind amateurism for 70 years. When O’Bannon started his lawsuit they should have came up with a proper way to pay kids and handle the situation in a way that was fair for them and the schools. It would have led to more structure and less chaos. Even after losing a couple court cases they still did nothing.
So let's say NCAA let OBannon get a piece of EA Sports video game.

Do you really think it would have stopped there? Kids/Families were going to push even harder to get more $$$ from other sources leading to where we are now. Desire to make $$$ is what started this and greed is what has pushed this to the silliness we are experiencing now. This was inevitable once the supreme court ruled to basically say people of any age deserve compensation. So the YellaWood Auburn alum cheater was going to pay dudes "legally" to sport his company so long as the produce for Auburn.

Not a fan of NCAA or Mark Emmert....but this is on Supreme Court....and now look at the mess we have going on. You'll soon have quite a few schools dropping sports as they can't afford to compete.

There has to be some sort of limit to that and NIL. The pendulum has swung WAAAYY too far in the other direction toward the players after being too far in the NCAA’s direction for the longest time.
Highly agree with this take. NIL money, transfer portal and OAD is ruining college basketball and some of that is hurting football as well. Minor sports also joining in as we've seen in women's basketball and volleyball among others.

Do you really think it would have stopped there? Kids/Families were going to push even harder to get more $$$ from other sources leading to where we are now. Desire to make $$$ is what started this and greed is what has pushed this to the silliness we are experiencing now. This was inevitable once the supreme court ruled to basically say people of any age deserve compensation. So the YellaWood Auburn alum cheater was going to pay dudes "legally" to sport his company so long as the produce for Auburn.

Not a fan of NCAA or Mark Emmert....but this is on Supreme Court....and now look at the mess we have going on. You'll soon have quite a few schools dropping sports as they can't afford to compete.
Again, the NCAA screwed up because they didn't prepare for any of this. I agree that ultimately, the Supreme Court would have ruled the way they did. But, the NCAA saw this coming from a mile away. It was inevitable to happen. They did zero to prepare for it. The Supreme Court ruled on June 29. New NIL rules went into effect on July 1. The wild, wild west then ensued. They had years to come up with a system that would have allowed for athletes to make money while also keeping some integrity. They chose to do nothing, then they were left scrambling. They do not get a pass.

In any of our professions, if we knew something was ultimately going to change, I would hope that we spent a significant amount of time preparing for it, and the best way to approach it. Not, keep our head in the sand, then have 2 days to prepare for it.

Reactions: Fox2monk
There has to be some sort of limit to that and NIL. The pendulum has swung WAAAYY too far in the other direction toward the players after being too far in the NCAA’s direction for the longest time.

College is for kids. Great for them that they have so many options. College kids doing whatever they do until they get a foothold on life shouldn't be of any concern whatsoever to grown adults that are strangers to the kids and coaches. It is though, and is creepy.

I treat it like NFL free agency - I don’t pay too much attention to it, and will check my team’s final roster on the last cut down day.

I’m not sweating any of it and we’ll roll with who we have by the time fall semester begins.

You have the perfect attitude. That's all you can do. Just enjoy the ride. You can't control it, so don't let it control you. Only nut jobs do that.

Reactions: MegaBlue05

No, but around that time they could have come up with a fair compensation package around a plan. That package would have probably sufficed for the court to rule in their favor and keep this from happening.

Reactions: K_TIME
Kudos to those who keep up with it.... theres a new thread about some random player every day

This really is the worst thing to ever happen to college basketball in my opinion.
It is truly awful, and eventually college basketball will fade bc of it. Coaches will literally have to rebuild rosters all the time. I think it’s even worse bc of NIL. Before it was lots of kids entering for various reasons from coaching changes to unhappy about playing time to needing the ego stroke of being recruited again like they were in high school bc their star and shine have dimmed.

Now that straight up cash money is involved it’s become even more of an avenue for many. It’s gotten out of hand.

I understand everyone screaming about athletes getting their share, but this is a deluge of chaos.

I hate it for the game and it’s fans.

Reactions: DraftCat
It is truly awful, and eventually college basketball will fade bc of it. Coaches will literally have to rebuild rosters all the time. I think it’s even worse bc of NIL. Before it was lots of kids entering for various reasons from coaching changes to unhappy about playing time to needing the ego stroke of being recruited again like they were in high school bc their star and shine have dimmed.

Now that straight up cash money is involved it’s become even more of an avenue for many. It’s gotten out of hand.

I understand everyone screaming about athletes getting their share, but this is a deluge of chaos.

I hate it for the game and it’s fans.

It's hard on the fans. All you can do is adjust and either find something else to do or just see it for what it is and has always been - entertainment.

Reactions: UkMccurdy
College is for kids. Great for them that they have so many options. College kids doing whatever they do until they get a foothold on life shouldn't be of any concern whatsoever to grown adults that are strangers to the kids and coaches. It is though, and is creepy.
Way to completely misrepresent what I was trying to say in the post. Not against player choice in transfers or NIL. Just saying that there should some basic rules and regulations regarding both of them. And no it doesn’t concern me at all, I was just stating my opinion.

Reactions: JLoad22
Way to completely misrepresent what I was trying to say in the post. Not against player choice in transfers or NIL. Just saying that there should some basic rules and regulations regarding both of them. And no it doesn’t concern me at all, I was just stating my opinion.
Totally agree. Definitely wasn’t trying to misrepresent your comments. Was just stating my opinion on what you see a lot of with some loons.

Reactions: BradleyCrawford08
I would say the 4 biggest changes to college basketball in the last 50 years are:

1. Freshman being eligible to play varsity basketball
2. High school players no longer eligible for the draft
3. Transfer portal with immediate eligibility
4. NIL

Two of those happened at basically the same time created pretty much total chaos.

Toss in the shot clock and 3pt line as "on the court" changes and you've covered all bases.

You have the perfect attitude. That's all you can do. Just enjoy the ride. You can't control it, so don't let it control you. Only nut jobs do that.

I agree. If I was the one handing out scholarships, I’d be more concerned. But as it stands, there’s nothing I (or any other fan) can do, so no use getting worked up over it the point it makes me angry in real life.

Reactions: JLoad22
It could be some unexpected combo we add, like Brown from Missouri and Nelson. At this point, who knows, but these kids haven't decided yet (pro or not).
Nelson not having good games the past 2 days might steer him to wait 1 more year for draft. He could be a more skilled Toppin for us.
I just love Brown's game, a working-class-man's Mashburn. He's just a player, position don't matter.

I agree. If I was the one handing out scholarships, I’d be more concerned. But as it stands, there’s nothing I (or any other fan) can do, so no use getting worked up over it the point it makes me angry in real life.

Imagine getting so angry, like that Pillow Phight guy, that you spent your life degrading the coach with dumb photoshop's and stalking posters to try to find out who they are in real life and announcing it here...literally trying to expose someone to harm that you could simply put on ignore..... AND getting it wrong so as to disgustingly expose the guy you thought was posting here. So he put that guy in the spotlight instead to satisfy his sick cravings. Talk about a sick cowardly way to go through life.

Enjoy the ride and be glad you aren't deranged. Have a great weekend. Good looking PGA board forming.

Last edited:
Reactions: MegaBlue05
Kudos to those who keep up with it.... theres a new thread about some random player every day

This really is the worst thing to ever happen to college basketball in my opinion.
Relax it will all play out couple weeks we will see.all call games.

The transfer portal and NIL has made college basketball older than it's been in quite some time. Of the top 100 scorers in college basketball last season, only Alabama's Brandon Miller, who was SEC Player of the Year and is projected as a top-3 pick in the 2023 NBA Draft, was a freshman. So, whether Calipari can recreate his old magic in what absolutely feels like a make-or-break season after several mediocre ones remains to be seen.

Even if Reeves does return, as expected, Calipari doesn't need to hit the panic button. He needs to hit the phones.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT