ADVERTISEMENT

Toppin and Hopkins playing the 3?

Again, everyone goes full Nancy over offense. Question is defense. This will work if and only if they have the lateral quickness to guard a quick 3 or a 2. No defense, Cal will abandon it.

Very possibly this is to cover for an extended illness. Also, mono doesn’t always stay put.

Hilarious! People that said it was the right thing to do, to not bring Kofi on board, because we were gonna run a 4 out and 1 in with Oscar. SAME exact people that believe we can run a 4 out and 1 in (4 shooters) with Brooks, Toppin and Oscar in the lineup together. 🤔

Anything to bash anyone that dare say something negative about Cal. Will literally shift and adjust their argument to fit their narrative at the drop of a hat. You can’t make this stuff up. It’s well beyond absurd at this point.

Last edited:
It could simply be Cal preparing to devise and work on a offensive set that takes advantage a Toppin and Hopkins mismatch in a future game. Those 2 could cause problems for some teams at the 3 from the free throw line to the low block. I think versatility is important.

Reactions: BlueGlasses12
It could simply be Cal preparing to devise and work on a offensive set that takes advantage a Toppin and Hopkins mismatch in a future game. Those 2 could cause problems for some teams at the 3 from the free throw line to the low block. I think versatility is important.
This could be true as well. Hopefully it’s not a plan to implement and integrate a BIG SF, that’s not a particular good shooter, for the long haul.

Is he?

Cal is the same coach who played Poythress at the 3 for two seasons and played Lyles at the 3 for our most important season since 2012. He also tried Whitney at the 3.
Whitney is 6'6 and 210lbs. Do you you think he should've played PF or SG instead? He couldn't shoot so.

We need need need need need need need need need need need need Hopkins to blossom at the 4 if we’re gonna go all the way. But this is what you do with injuries and mono on the roster.

Cal should have played Lyles at the 4 in 2015.

Put the twins and Booker on the court or Ulis with the twins. Spacing would have been far and away superior, and WCS was a dud in the Wisconsin game anyway.

Towns
Lyles
Harrison
Booker
Harrison

Or

Towns
Lyles
Harrison
Harrison
Ulis
Wrong. Wcs was a huge piece of that team. A first team all American. But, he shouldn't have played over a 5'9 freshman pg smh

Put the twins and Booker on the court or Ulis with the twins. Spacing would have been far and away superior, and WCS was a dud in the Wisconsin game anyway.

Towns
Lyles
Harrison
Booker
Harrison

Or

Towns
Lyles
Harrison
Harrison
Ulis
Your basketball IQ speaks for itself. You're one of the great ones that didn't want wheeler and thought Oscar was mediocre. Carr was the way to go because of a shooting background smh

Reactions: MegaBlue05
We need need need need need need need need need need need need Hopkins to blossom at the 4 if we’re gonna go all the way. But this is what you do with injuries and mono on the roster.
Damn, that’s a lot of needs. I respect your needs and will add the the the the the the.

Not good! Toppin can't play it for sure. He has zero basketball skills. Hopkins shows promise, but Toppin just doesn't have it.

I'd rather see Toppin play some of the backup minutes at the 5.
Yeah, I could see going to 3 forwards when OT goes to the bench but that would be it. Otherwise a big lineup with a PG that is not much of a 3pt threat is going to be a lot of rock fights and likely Ls (esp on the road).

I am wondering if this is a carrot to keep Hopkins involved more to get him to stay around. He could be a star next year.

Here we go again. Cal has a long history of playing guys at the three who are far better suited for the four. And it generally does not go well …but he’s determined the jam that square peg through that round hole anyways

Everyone relax,

Cal said the other day we were practicing with 7 players. Gotta do what you gotta do.
Kyle needs clicks. He aint gonna post “depleted UK squad using big men at the 3 in practice because they have no choice.”

Reactions: Padsfs07
Hilarious! People that said it was the right thing to do, to not bring Kofi on board, because we were gonna run a 4 out and 1 in with Oscar. SAME exact people that believe we can run a 4 out and 1 in (4 shooters) with Brooks, Toppin and Oscar in the lineup together. 🤔

Anything to bash anyone that dare say something negative about Cal. Will literally shift and adjust their argument to fit their narrative at the drop of a hat. You can’t make this stuff up. It’s well beyond absurd at this point.
Well, this new offense lasted about 5 games longer than I thought it would. I figured Cal would experiment with it the first game against Duke. That way he had a built in excuse when we lost to another rival/ranked opponent. Can't teach an old dog new tricks. Eventually the old dog will go back to his same old habits.

Couple things.
1) I said all summer that Cal would ditch the 4 out, one in offense. It’s not in his DNA to do and he has way too many good front court guys to stay with it

2) I think this proposed lineup could be really good against certain teams, but only if Hopkins and Toppin can shoot a respectable percentage from 3.

I like what I see with Hopkins, I wish he was on the court more, because he has the body to compete now. Cal has been jamming Collins in there, because he knows he only has that 'project' for 1 year. That’s why I hate bringing in these unskilled 2nd tier NBA potential guys, makes no sense.

Hopefully this is just an occasional lineup that Cal goes to in special situations. I really think he needs to focus on getting Grady going, he is that 4th guy that is capable of taking our offense to a much higher level. He’s just floating right now.

Towns
Lyles
Harrison
Booker
Harrison

Or

Towns
Lyles
Harrison
Harrison
Ulis
Hard to complain about the way players were used in a year that won 38 straights. I do agree some in game adjustments should have been made in the UW game but that’s looking back in hindsight.

Here’s the thing. Practice has been short with players and apparently they are experimenting with different players in different positions. There was one mention about something’s going on in practice and many on here act like it’s the end of the world. I believe many are too quick to defend Cal but many look for any reason to bash him as well.

Here’s the thing. Practice has been short with players and apparently they are experimenting with different players in different positions. There was one mention about something’s going on in practice and many on here act like it’s the end of the world. I believe many are too quick to defend Cal but many look for any reason to bash him as well.
Well, he doesn’t have a good track record with this, that’s for sure. Like @kyjeff1 said,
It’s not in his DNA. Let’s just hope he doesn’t go this route. I’m telling you, Wheeler, TyTy, Toppin, Brooks and Oscar will look like absolute shit IMO. People can call me an idiot and a moron all they want. They’ll be the idiots and morons when it’s proven to not work.

I heard there were some people shocked and amazed that fans supported their own team n their own forum. Really. You can’t make this stuff up. It would take a real buffoon to be shocked at that. It’s beyond absurd at this point.

Well, he doesn’t have a good track record with this, that’s for sure. Like @kyjeff1 said,
It’s not in his DNA. Let’s just hope he doesn’t go this route. I’m telling you, Wheeler, TyTy, Toppin, Brooks and Oscar will look like absolute shit IMO. People can call me an idiot and a moron all they want. They’ll be the idiots and morons when it’s proven to not work.
I don’t believe you’re an idiot or a moron at all as a matter of fact I think you are one of the best posters on here. I totally that I agree totally if he goes Wheeler, TyTy, Toppin, Brooks and Oscar That would be stupid with the weapons that we have. But again I’m just sayin he has made changes so let’s let it play out. He’s also a bit handcuffed without CJ, Minx being out, and Allen and Grady in huge slumps. I feel Grady is going to come back strong as will Mintz and Hopkins will become a strong part of this team. The problem with trying to change is some won’t see it when it’s happening or give up on it if there’s a bump. I don’t mean you, Jeff or the others who voice valid concerns but this place is becoming inundated with people that just want to bash at a drop of a dime.

Let’s see. Cal never makes changes. Not in his DNA. Wait, Cal’s making changes. It will never work. He should only do what I say. Wahhh!!!!!!

Seems those people were right about you.

I don’t believe you’re an idiot or a moron at all as a matter of fact I think you are one of the best posters on here. I totally that I agree totally if he goes Wheeler, TyTy, Toppin, Brooks and Oscar That would be stupid with the weapons that we have. But again I’m just sayin he has made changes so let’s let it play out. He’s also a bit handcuffed without CJ, Minx being out, and Allen and Grady in huge slumps. I feel Grady is going to come back strong as will Mintz and Hopkins will become a strong part of this team. The problem with trying to change is some won’t see it when it’s happening or give up on it if there’s a bump. I don’t mean you, Jeff or the others who voice valid concerns but this place is becoming inundated with people that just want to bash at a drop of a dime.
I’m not talking about you, buddy. I’m talking about the people that were bashing some posters just because they were negative about the possible move. I was just pointing out their hypocrisy. Not meant towards you at all.

I also agree on Allen and Grady. We need to get some scoring, good shooting, solid defense, etc, out of one or both of those two.

Cal has to handcuff us with 1 shooter at the 2. Going to play Oscar, Brooks, Toppin, TyTy and Wheeler. Not a lot of outside shooting and Grady is going to the bench.
This. Cal had hurt several teams in the last few years doing this instead of playing a shooter at the 3 that may not be great at other things.

We have a team built to run and gun and he’s adamant about forcing a big lineup...expect to start forcing paint touches at all cost now too.

I was concerned about this when I saw he had a quote this week saying we needed to get Hopkins more paint touches.

Towns
Lyles
Harrison
Booker
Harrison

Or

Towns
Lyles
Harrison
Harrison
Ulis
Starters

G Harrison
G Harrison
G Booker
F WCS
F KAT

Key Reserves

G Ulis- backcourt reserve.
F Lyles- sub at the 4.
F Johnson- sub at the 5.

Deep bench

F Lee- spot minutes.
G Hawkins- spot minutes.
F Willis- spot minutes.

Once Poythress went down, Cal should have scrapped the platoons and put Lee on the bench and moved Lyles to the 4 instead of continuing to play Lyles out of position. Trying to continue on with a “modified” system was a mistake. Should have shortened the roster since Cal didn’t want to just plug Hawkins or Willis into Poythress’ spot. Play your best 7-8 guys.

Season expectations: we’re a little thin on bigs, but we have a ton of guards and might see some smaller lineups and have 3-4 guards/wings in the game.

Cal by the 8th game: I think we’re going to move towards playing 3 bigs at a time.

What a frustrating move, our roster is built to run and gun, we’re rebounding dominantly with our current lineup of 3 guards/wing, a small 4, and Big O. What in the ****ing hell does taking Grady off the floor and playing a combo 4 in his spot give us? More rebounding?

Last edited:
If it’s just due to the sickness situation currently then ok...people’s reaction is Bc we’ve seen this movie before and it’s one of Cals biggest tendencies.

He loves oversized lineups which usually results in stagnant offense Bc he sacrifices offensive ability and flow for length. Which then turns our offensive strategy into drive and try to get fouled.

He believes his best chance to win is Defense, Rebounding, and Freethrows which isn’t entirely wrong...clearly, but it shouldn’t be at the complete sacrifice of offensive flow.

We currently have one of the most efficient offenses in the nation. No need to mess with that.

Last edited:
Cal has to handcuff us with 1 shooter at the 2. Going to play Oscar, Brooks, Toppin, TyTy and Wheeler. Not a lot of outside shooting and Grady is going to the bench.
If this happens gotta think Grady will not be very happy

This. Cal had hurt several teams in the last few years doing this instead of playing a shooter at the 3 that may not be great at other things.

We have a team built to run and gun and he’s adamant about forcing a big lineup...expect to start forcing paint touches at all cost now too.

I was concerned about this when I saw he had a quote this week saying we needed to get Hopkins more paint touches.
If we’re playing smaller teams, then feed my MATB in Oscar. But that’s not going to work against say the likes of Duke or other physically large teams.

If Cal wants to start doing that against bruiser type teams, I’m not going to be very happy. Because we all know we won’t get calls.

“wow. Wheeler just got hammered down there and nothing!” I know it. You know it. We all know it.

And Cal is just determined to show how screwed we get sometimes.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Season expectations: we’re a little thin on bigs, but we have a ton of guards and might see some smaller lineups and have 3-4 guards/wings in the game.

Cal by the 8th game: I think we’re going to move towards playing 3 bigs at a time.

What a frustrating move, our roster is built to run and gun, we’re rebounding dominantly with our current lineup of 3 guards/wing, a small 4, and Big O. What in the ****ing hell does taking Grady off the floor and playing a combo 4 in his spot give us? More rebounding?
Exactly. Our rebounding is phenomenal, especially while playing a small lineup. It’s awesome to see. That was one area I was worried about since we’ve played small this year. I was shocked we out rebounded duke. I actually thought if we did that, we would win that game. If only we had changed up our defense.

If it’s just due to the sickness situation currently then ok...people’s reaction is Bc we’ve seen this movie before and it’s one of Cals biggest tendencies.

He loves oversized lineups which usually results in stagnant offense Bc he sacrifices offensive ability and flow for length. Which then turns our offensive strategy into drive and try to get fouled.

He believes his best chance to win is Defense, Rebounding, and Freethrows which isn’t entirely wrong...clearly, but it shouldn’t be at the complete sacrifice of offensive flow.

We currently have one of the most efficient offenses in the nation. No need to mess with that.
Our defense and rebounding seems solid, especially rebounding. Now, getting to the FT line hasn’t been a luxury this season. We don’t really have anyone to take their man off the bounce, outside of Wheeler. That really hurts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT