ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Izzo

Eight Final 4s is pretty damn impressive. He is not super impressive or dominant in the regular season, but he has done a pretty good job getting his team peaking at the right time.
It is. But he hasn’t won a title since 2000. That’s approaching IU territory.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I get that but for a coach who half his career at least was an about building teams, that’s hard now. That’s what he’s saying in this message. He’s basically calling his team soft, but he can’t come out and say that now because everyone would get their feeling hurt. There was nothing dumb about it.
I guess. But again. It’s his job to adapt and survive. We griped at Cal about it and Cal’s starting to do it. Izzo needs to adapt or retire.

As Cal once said, “no crying on the yacht”.

Thought this was interesting. Another coach the game has maybe passed by?

I’ve felt for a long time izzo is kind of overrated

On one hand…8 finals fours and a ship at Michigan State. 10 B1G first place finishes. Hasn’t missed the tourney in 25 years.

On the other…has rarely been a legit title threat even in many of those final four seasons(they’ve been blown out in half of them). 13 double digit loss seasons. And now haven’t won more than 23 games since 2019.

I think some of what he said is true, at the end it comes down to the players attitude. But the quip about analytics being garbage and not being able to blame the players for anything was a pretty bad look.
He was always a little overrated. He coached teams to Final Fours but could never recapture that lightning of those 2000s teams

I guess. But again. It’s his job to adapt and survive. We griped at Cal about it and Cal’s starting to do it. Izzo needs to adapt or retire.

As Cal once said, “no crying on the yacht”.
I agree there too, it is why he makes the big bucks but I’m sure he still works hard and hates the fact that his team sucks.

Reactions: bbncal02
He was always a little overrated. He coached teams to Final Fours but could never recapture that lightning of those 2000s teams
Hes a historic part of the game no doubt. But he’s had issues and scandal. I’m shocked MSU has hung on to him. But they’ve done weird things. Like name part of their football facility after him.

They can’t be happy up there right now sports wise. FB team 4-8 and shut out by Penn St 42-0. Basketball team struggling. There’s very little joy in East Lansing these days it seems.

Hes a historic part of the game no doubt. But he’s had issues and scandal. I’m shocked MSU has hung on to him. But they’ve done weird things. Like name part of their football facility after him.

They can’t be happy up there right now sports wise. FB team 4-8 and shut out by Penn St 42-0. Basketball team struggling. There’s very little joy in East Lansing these days it seems.
For the Blue Blood schools he would NOT be the program’s #1 coach.

Last edited:
He’s won as many NC’s as Cal and has more FF’s with his best player probably being Draymond Green.
I’d put him in the group of several other coaches that would have a minimum of 3 NC’s with Cal’s talent.
He put a coaching clinic all over Cal in last years champions classic.

I would put money on Izzo making another FF before Cal does.

It’s not entirely about analytics but ignoring them is an emotional choice that usually doesn’t end well. Stats exist for a reason. As somebody else said above the heart part should be baked in the cake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT