ADVERTISEMENT

10 month old necro'd thread courtesy of @W2R

Holy crap, man, did you just watch Avengers and now you're looking for something to pseudo-crusade about? ;)

I'm simply creating discussion and adding my thoughts because I literally have nothing else to do this weekend beside post and eat thin mint cookies. I've probably posted 50 times since Brown said, "no thanks." Hence the quick replies. It's seriously nothing intentionally defiant on my part.

Crusade....that was the word I was looking for. You seem to be on the doom crusade...

If your just busted up over Brown, maybe you should post less when your upset.

GEICO+EDIT.jpg

Told you I'm not getting into that. Suffice to say recruiting had next to nothing to do with the the issues that made the price tag associated with resolving that situation look like a good deal. If you want to debate, make some sense.

You made the vague claims against my points, but now you won't "get into" which ones you disagree with?

Okay.

Crusade....that was the word I was looking for. You seem to be on the doom crusade...

If your just busted up over Brown, maybe you should post less when your upset.

Can you properly elaborate on my doom-filled quotations? I'm actually curious as to what you deem to be negative.

You made the vague claims against my points, but now you won't "get into" which ones you disagree with?

Okay.

Let me get this straight. You want to debate BG in public?

Sorry, I didn't catch on at first. Duke fan? UL? You seem to be missing the refinement of a UK alum.

Can you properly elaborate on my doom-filled quotations? I'm actually curious as to what you deem to be negative.

I'm not going to hunt down every comment you've made....this one pretty much confirmed what I said a few min ago...you're busted up over brown.

I also think we need to remember that what we're seeing tonight is merely the venting process of a fan base that is coming to terms with lowering their expectations in regards to one of their great passions. It can be painful, especially when our fans haven't had good news since the Notre Dame win.

I think the best thing to do this weekend is let people vent.

Some of our posters get way to high on the high points and fall far & crash hard...the lows are never as low as they make them seem. This is one of those times.

Reactions: hoodro
Let me get this straight. You want to debate BG in public?

Sorry, I didn't catch on at first. Duke fan? UL? You seem to be missing the refinement of a UK alum.

When in doubt, loosely accuse another fan of being a Duke or UL fan.

That's awesome.

Reactions: ACCCard
I'm not going to hunt down every comment you've made....this one pretty much confirmed what I said a few min ago...you're busted up over brown.

Some of our posters get way to high on the high points and fall far & crash hard...the lows are never as low as they make them seem. This is one of those times.

I'm not sure how my disappointment over Brown negates my points about next year's team. There was a real reason Cal wanted to originally add "2 to 3 more." People seem to forget that.

Again, I feel UK will be fine next year, but I also think it's not out of line to discuss some potential needs. That's all I've done.

Saul has extreme mood swings. He predicts the best case scenario and if that doesn't happen he jumps off the ledge. He's also the king of writing a page long post but somehow not really saying anything.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
We aren't getting Murray. This class is done unless Cal adds an insignificant 3 star project. It has been one big failure/disappointment after another from Cal and UK since the Final Four.

So with that said, with no other elite recruits coming in, we might as well start looking towards the 2016-2017 season. The sunshine pumpers will get their panties in a wad but our current roster is in no way a title contender. It's a Sweet 16/Elite 8 at best with the current roster. The lack of shooting and actual basketball skill is scary. I won't say we're NIT bound just because we have good pg's this time but it also wouldn't shock me if we ended up there.

The current state of the program isn't at its lowest of the Cal era but it's not all that far away. I'm starting to think going 38-0 did more harm than good. I can't put into words just how sick I am of the kids in the 2015 class.
Since you live in TN and there is no electricity there (meaning no radio, iphones TV, internet) you must be getting your info about our new players from the monthly "pony express" that comes through or you would know this team is BETTER than Butler (twice) or VCU both who recently went to the Final Four and BETTER than UCONN who won it last year. Save your whiny opinions until at least we've played through the SEC once and it's February...GEEZ!!

When in doubt, loosely accuse another fan of being a Duke or UL fan.

That's awesome.

No, not awesome. Wisdom. Trashing the history of the cats by dwelling a rough stretch because I am throwing a childish tantrum would make me pretty stupid. I chose not to do so. I'm sure you agree.

Or maybe not. I have a solution for you. Just take this up with
Cal. Tell him he's got no scorers, his recruiting sucks and you think bad recruiting destroyed the career of at least one former coach. Second thought, Mitch should be a part of that, too. Cal should know of this startling revelation. I mean, he may not be aware someone on next years team has to score. That's some profound knowledge.

Doh. Like we never had a scorer leave the team before. I'm getting too old for this nonsense.

No, not awesome. Wisdom. Trashing the history of the cats by dwelling a rough stretch because I am throwing a childish tantrum would make me pretty stupid. I chose not to do so. I'm sure you agree.

Or maybe not. I have a solution for you. Just take this up with
Cal. Tell him he's got no scorers, his recruiting sucks and you think bad recruiting destroyed the career of at least one former coach. Second thought, Mitch should be a part of that, too. Cal should know of this startling revelation. I mean, he may not be aware someone on next years team has to score. That's some profound knowledge.

Doh. Like we never had a scorer leave the team before. I'm getting too old for this nonsense.

Sir, it's all good. Let's move on. Peace to you and yours.

OP, were you alive when UCONN beat us in 2014??We have superior talent to that team. I believe this is a Final Four Team.

Saul has extreme mood swings. He predicts the best case scenario and if that doesn't happen he jumps off the ledge. He's also the king of writing a page long post but somehow not really saying anything.

Hilarious. Can I count you in for being my psychotherapist from now on? :D

You could have mentioned this earlier?

Have a beer on me.

I think Saul was locked in on Newman, and already visualized what we would look like with him on the floor.

Not wanting to put words in his mouth, but maybe he's having a little trouble moving on from that tough beat. Especially since not much good has happened since.

Personally, I wasn't counting on any of these kids. I follow recruiting but only get excited about players once they hit our roster. Seems to help my mood.

Since you live in TN and there is no electricity there (meaning no radio, iphones TV, internet) you must be getting your info about our new players from the monthly "pony express" that comes through or you would know this team is BETTER than Butler (twice) or VCU both who recently went to the Final Four and BETTER than UCONN who won it last year. Save your whiny opinions until at least we've played through the SEC once and it's February...GEEZ!!
I wouldn't talk if I were you. I live right on the TN/KY line and have been in KY many times and can say with certainty that KY is no better than TN. People like you are so stupid they should have their BBN fan card revoked.

Those teams you mentioned also beat teams who were better than this UK team also. In fact, that UCONN team beat a UK team that is a lot better than next years team.

People are underrating next years team because of last years team. I think it will wear off after a while. Most of these same posters still think we had the best team in the nation last year and can't believe we lost. So therefore, '15 couldn't do it, 16 surely can't do it"

UK will be fine ! They always are. While not a fan, the reality is UK has more than enough top players to be in the final dance next year,

Those teams you mentioned also beat teams who were better than this UK team also. In fact, that UCONN team beat a UK team that is a lot better than next years team.

Truth is, you have no way of knowing how good next year's team will be. I understand that is difficult for you to face.

We have a bunch of good to great players and a really good coach. More often than not, that formula works out.

But I'm going to go ahead and make a prediction. I'm going to predict that when we play well, you won't have much to say. Unless you have a complaint about the uniform font.

On the other hand, whenever we lose, I look forward to your expert analysis. IMHO, you really and truly ought to work on getting a grip.

Last edited:
LOL at a Card fan passive aggressively "liking" negative comments.

Face it, UK is gonna curbstomp dat Beak once again this season in Rupp, son, so don't start feeling your oats just because we've had a rough month, your team's a bunch of damn scrubs. Go ahead and book a table at Porcini's for Rick that night, he's gonna need a double dose of Sypher lovin' to take the edge off.

I don't quite get where the feeling that Ulis 'can't score' comes from. Obviously he's a pass first type PG. He feeds off of breaking down a defense and finding the open man. And this next year he'll be even better at it in the college game with a year under his belt. But I believe if he has to, and wants to, he can score. He was around a 41% shooter this last year with about 40% from 3. For being small, he can get to the basket and score. Sure he didn't average much scoring-wise this last year....but he didn't have to.

Plus, as to him and Briscoe, the college game is a guard-driven game. So the doom and gloom for next year isn't warranted. We're all disappointed in some of the recruiting misses. We've all been spoiled rotten with some of Cal's over-the-top recruiting. But there's not a college coach in the land that wouldn't take this recruiting class.

Ulis scored 9 PPG per 40 and no, he doesn't drive to the rim. Its his biggest flaw - his hesitancy to go in the paint.

My worries with Briscoe is his efficiency. His lack of athleticism & average shooting skills can result in some woeful shooting numbers, even if his PPG totals seem fine.

Im not totally down on next years roster. I don;t think we'll be close to NIT bound. Sweet 16 seems like the ceiling atm, but a few players need to take a leap to have legit final four hope - Mainly Tyler Ulis & Marcus Lee.

- Ulis needs to become more aggressive and fearless on offense, because he has a great shooting touch. He needs to become a scoring option.

- Lee needs to actually produce, get caught up with the speed of the game ( its gonna be his 3rd year for christ sake) and put his great athleticism/length to use.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
5ivestar, this statement:

"Sweet 16 seems like the ceiling atm"

Is just goofy.

What you are saying is that we could win 2 tournament games next year, but there will be 8 other teams so good that it will require a great leap to get past any of them.

Who are those 8 teams?

Now, I wouldn't be shocked if we lost in the Sweet 16. Especially if we messed around and struggled early, slipping to a 4/5 seed.

But Sweet 16 is closer to our floor than our ceiling. Our ceiling is National Champion.

What a kid's star level coming out of high school was is largely insignificant now.

Lee, Ulis, and Briscoe are not scorers. We need someone who can score. I don't know why accepting this reality is so hard for some of our fans.
Some people can't stop drinking the blue kool-aid and pumping the sunshine long enough to realize that this year is eerily similar to 2013.

Next years team is going to struggle to score.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
Skal can score in spades. Poythress scored 11 a game as a freshman when we needed him to score.

This is all so dumb. Obviously guys like Briscoe, Mulder, and even Matthews can put the ball in the basket. We know that Ulis makes big, timely shots.

What will the newcomers do next year on the D-1 level? We won't know until we get there. All this pre-emptive doom and gloom is wasted energy. Like so many Eeyores lining up a year early to say, " I told you so."

I don't get it. What's the fun in that?

Right. That's a dumb question too. Because clearly there are a lot of people who revel in the misery.

Skal can score in spades. Poythress scored 11 a game as a freshman when we needed him to score.

This is all so dumb. Obviously guys like Briscoe, Mulder, and even Matthews can put the ball in the basket. We know that Ulis makes big, timely shots.

What will the newcomers do next year on the D-1 level? We won't know until we get there. All this pre-emptive doom and gloom is wasted energy. Like so many Eeyores lining up a year early to say, " I told you so."

I don't get it. What's the fun in that?

Right. That's a dumb question too. Because clearly there are a lot of people who revel in the misery.

Poythress and Lee get most of their points off garbage baskets. Neither can really create their own shot. Plus, Poythress is coming off knee surgery.

Ulis got good looks because we were so talented, opposing defenses were keyed in on other players. Next year, Ulis will be a focus.

Mulder is a question mark. How well will his game transition to a high level D1 team?

Matthews hasn't been the same since his injury.

Skal will be good.

Then we have Willis and Hawkins. Nothing more needs to be said there.

What a kid's star level coming out of high school was is largely insignificant now.

Lee, Ulis, and Briscoe are not scorers. We need someone who can score. I don't know why accepting this reality is so hard for some of our fans.

Briscoe is a 5 Star McDonald's All-American that averaged 21 points per game last season. What makes you think that he is not a scorer?

Poythress and Lee get most of their points off garbage baskets. Neither can really create their own shot. Plus, Poythress is coming off knee surgery.

Ulis got good looks because we were so talented, opposing defenses were keyed in on other players. Next year, Ulis will be a focus.

Mulder is a question mark. How well will his game transition to a high level D1 team?

Matthews hasn't been the same since his injury.

Skal will be good.

Then we have Willis and Hawkins. Nothing more needs to be said there.

You left out Briscoe. Having him beside Ulis makes it harder to key on Ulis.

I've never heard anyone say that Matthews hasn't recovered from injury. Only that the injury knocked him down in the rankings. I guess we will see, like we will with all of the newcomers.

As a fan of the team, I prefer to look at the realistic best case. Not pie in the sky, just things like: Poythress is healthy, and Mulder and Matthews are solid at the wing. I realize that others prefer a glass half empty approach.

Reactions: Bkocats
Top 3 ranking, top 2 recruiting class, and yet it's time to face reality. Still cracking me up, days later.....

Reactions: barryn2000
5ivestar, this statement:

"Sweet 16 seems like the ceiling atm"

Is just goofy.

What you are saying is that we could win 2 tournament games next year, but there will be 8 other teams so good that it will require a great leap to get past any of them.

Who are those 8 teams?

Now, I wouldn't be shocked if we lost in the Sweet 16. Especially if we messed around and struggled early, slipping to a 4/5 seed.

But Sweet 16 is closer to our floor than our ceiling. Our ceiling is National Champion.

Im just speaking as of now, not accounting player development. Again, i'm not totally down on next years squad, even with the scoring concerns. Some interesting parts are in place.

I find saying natty title being our ceiling atm goofy.

Some people can't stop drinking the blue kool-aid and pumping the sunshine long enough to realize that this year is eerily similar to 2013.

Next years team is going to struggle to score.
That's not true at all and it's been explained as to why that's not true over and over and over. Go take your bandwagon to another team.

Im just speaking as of now, not accounting player development. Again, i'm not totally down on next years squad, even with the scoring concerns. Some interesting parts are in place.

I find saying natty title being our ceiling atm goofy.

We don't play "at the moment" though. We have to project 11 months into the future, which necessarily accounts for player development.

If the games were played right now, we would have our work cut out for us. 11 months from now, we project to be in contention for the national title, given good health and expected player improvement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT