ADVERTISEMENT

10 month old necro'd thread courtesy of @W2R

ZaytovenCat

All-SEC
Gold Member
Apr 26, 2013
Paris, TN
We aren't getting Murray. This class is done unless Cal adds an insignificant 3 star project. It has been one big failure/disappointment after another from Cal and UK since the Final Four.

So with that said, with no other elite recruits coming in, we might as well start looking towards the 2016-2017 season. The sunshine pumpers will get their panties in a wad but our current roster is in no way a title contender. It's a Sweet 16/Elite 8 at best with the current roster. The lack of shooting and actual basketball skill is scary. I won't say we're NIT bound just because we have good pg's this time but it also wouldn't shock me if we ended up there.

The current state of the program isn't at its lowest of the Cal era but it's not all that far away. I'm starting to think going 38-0 did more harm than good. I can't put into words just how sick I am of the kids in the 2015 class.

It's been disappointing since we are not used to this many players turning UK down but Cal.Call still has one of the best recruiting classes this year with a few guys coming back

If only we had a guy that shot 45% from three coming in...oh wait we do. Chill out man we will be a top ten team next year. We have a good chance to have the best player in college basketball next year in Skal. We will have a chance to cut down the nets next year.

We have five 5 star recruits (one is the top player/top center in the country, two are the top point guards from the past 2 classes remaining in college basketball, and two are McDAA power forwards), and we have two 4 star shooting guards, both are freak athletes, one is going to be the best shooter on the team, and we have junior Hawkins and Willis, we're tied for favorites to win the natty next season, and are already projected to be top 3.
You are being a bit whiny, OP.

We aren't getting Murray. This class is done unless Cal adds an insignificant 3 star project. It has been one big failure/disappointment after another from Cal and UK since the Final Four.

So with that said, with no other elite recruits coming in, we might as well start looking towards the 2016-2017 season. The sunshine pumpers will get their panties in a wad but our current roster is in no way a title contender. It's a Sweet 16/Elite 8 at best with the current roster. The lack of shooting and actual basketball skill is scary. I won't say we're NIT bound just because we have good pg's this time but it also wouldn't shock me if we ended up there.

The current state of the program isn't at its lowest of the Cal era but it's not all that far away. I'm starting to think going 38-0 did more harm than good. I can't put into words just how sick I am of the kids in the 2015 class.
Lol. Good grief you are a clown.

I always like my chances when I have the projected #1 pick. Stars can carry teams in March and Skal has more than enough support to make a deep run and successful year.

Reactions: carol.chris.shirley
I love how our "fans" have to place their season ending expectation before this team steps on a floor. This team will be ranked top five pre season, where was 2011 ranked? If you are in the Elite 8 the game can go either way because you are most of the time watching two evenly matched teams(unless its Dukes bracket).

Here he is again, Ladies and Gentlemen. Right on cue.

If UNC is being talked about as a #1 team next year, we can obviously win a title.

When you have the best player in the country and 6 other highly ranked players around him, its not exactly a rebuilding year.

Now, if skal is ineligible, I'll be at the Kentucky river bridge

We have talent but fans need not make Marcus Lee to be more than he is either.IF Marcus works on his offense this summer then maybe he can get more than 5-10 minutes a game he has been getting.Willis has no excuses not to take advantage of this chance.We are thin in the frontcourt.I like our guards,we are in good shape there but we need help in the frontcourt.At present we are a sweet 16 team.

0 and 40 baby!

What a kid's star level coming out of high school was is largely insignificant now.

Lee, Ulis, and Briscoe are not scorers. We need someone who can score. I don't know why accepting this reality is so hard for some of our fans.

Briscoe is not a scorer? Maybe not a dead eye shooter but he is a scorer.

What a kid's star level coming out of high school was is largely insignificant now.

Lee, Ulis, and Briscoe are not scorers. We need someone who can score. I don't know why accepting this reality is so hard for some of our fans.

Briscoe can be a scorer. I disagree with your assessment. His ability to score actually surprised me watching the Allstar games

The incoming class is fine, provided you have 4-5 real good players returning - but we don't. Ulis and Poythress can play and Lee, Willis and Hawkins are bench guys.

What we have is a great Center and 2 good point guards. Then we have a extremely athletic PF who is thin and has next to no skillset. Then we have another extremely athletic forward who has some skill but still isn't great. You also have Matthews who is athletic but a role player at best next year. And then Mulder, who is nothing more than a role player on a good team. If we have to depend on him to be one of best players and scorers then we aren't winning jack crap. He's a nice complimentary piece but not a great player.

I won't even mention Hawk and Willis because if they have to be regular contributors then the season really is lost. Unless they have a magical offseason and become brand new players.

This team has athleticism but only 2 reliable shooters, no pure scorers, and lacks skill overall. It's a team of athletes and that's about it.

Reactions: CatsNoles
Briscoe is not a scorer? Maybe not a dead eye shooter but he is a scorer.

Gonna be hard for a point guard with limited shooting ability to score next year when virtually everyone packs in a zone against us and begs someone besides Skal to hurt them.

They might not be scorers but they Ulis and Briscoe can make it easy for guys like Lee, Poy and Matthews. They will be able to finish on the break and will be getting the ball in space while the defender is moving. It's not like we are just going to dump it into Lee and Poy all game like we did this year.

Reactions: brianpoe
They might not be scorers but they Ulis and Briscoe can make it easy for guys like Lee, Poy and Matthews. They will be able to finish on the break and will be getting the ball in space while the defender is moving. It's not like we are just going to dump it into Lee and Poy all game like we did this year.

How does Kentucky score in the halfcourt next year? That's the real question.

You are right. I foresee 20 losses and UK averaging 20 points a game.

It is what it is. We were spoiled this year. Most teams that go to the Final Four one year regress some the next year. We've been lucky to go to 4 FF's in 5 years.

We basically have 9 players for next year; most of them are pretty good. But if someone gets hurt or a freshman isn't as good as expected, then we will be really limited. Hopefully it won't hurt us like in 2013. Remember after that season Cal said "I won't let this happen again" talking about a small roster. Well we may see it this year (or he may use 7-8 guys and go to the Final Four).

Reactions: Drudis
Damnit, you guys need to get it together.....Geez!

0.jpg

Reactions: brianpoe
You are right. I foresee 20 losses and UK averaging 20 points a game.

You know perfectly well that I'm not implying anything remotely close to that; however, there are some real question marks about next season and I'm sure we'll all analyze the mess out of them this summer.

I also think we need to remember that what we're seeing tonight is merely the venting process of a fan base that is coming to terms with lowering their expectations in regards to one of their great passions. It can be painful, especially when our fans haven't had good news since the Notre Dame win.

I think the best thing to do this weekend is let people vent.

Reactions: ACCCard

I thought we were supposed to be facing reality? This post isn't reality. More like the sky is falling hyperbole.

You know perfectly well that I'm not implying anything remotely close to that; however, there are some real question marks about next season and I'm sure we'll all analyze the mess out of them this summer.

I also think we need to remember that what we're seeing tonight is merely the venting process of a fan base that is coming to terms with lowering their expectations in regards to one of their great passions. It can be painful, especially when our fans haven't had good news since the Notre Dame win.

I think the best thing to do this weekend is let people vent.
You can lower your expectations. I take the exact opposite approach. I'm really looking forward to see how Cal molds this team next year. Without Brown or Murray, I think this a top 10 team. You can't look at UK's team in a vacuum and ignore the other top teams' potential weaknesses.

You have a hell of a class coming in. Just because every kid isn't a five star and at the top of his respective position doesn't mean he won't be productive at UK.

I'll take that. UCONN 2014 wasn't a sweet sixteen team. Or Duke 2010. In about 11 months we'll know if they are a NIT, Sweet Sixteen, or Final Four team. Not before then.

You have a hell of a class coming in. Just because every kid isn't a five star and at the top of his respective position doesn't mean he won't be productive at UK.

Good to see you GTOWN. One of the good guys right here.

You need to get you a good ole house divided avatar UK/UGA. I won't tell any of your buds you roll with the cats in the closet;)

Reactions: GermantownDawg
Cal has a way with teams that end up thriving because they think they're being overlooked, disrespected, and have a "us against the world" mentality. Guess this will be one of those teams if some of these posts are in clue.

Wisconsin had a team full of 3 and 4 stars who got better with experience but it sounds like a lot of people don't believe players can improve under Cal's tutelage. We haven't had a chance to see too many stay long enough to know what they might do in their 3rd or 4th years here. The ones who have like Miller, Liggins and Harrelson have turned out pretty well.

Reactions: Brando Mac
Wisconsin had a team full of 3 and 4 stars who got better with experience but it sounds like a lot of people don't believe players can improve under Cal's tutelage. We haven't had a chance to see too many stay long enough to know what they might do in their 3rd or 4th years here. The ones who have like Miller, Liggins and Harrelson have turned out pretty well.

People are underrating next years team because of last years team. I think it will wear off after a while. Most of these same posters still think we had the best team in the nation last year and can't believe we lost. So therefore, '15 couldn't do it, 16 surely can't do it"

They are wrong, and they will see. This is a team that is going to go to war for Cal(ipari) from day 1.

Reactions: michaeluk26
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT