ADVERTISEMENT

Thought Africa played very well

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
I didn't get to watch it live because I'm on vacation, so I just finished watching it. A couple thoughts...

Africa added a player yesterday and 2 more today, from what I read. They were clearly playing better than they have the first 2 games.

UK went swimming at Drake's yesterday, were already in the championship game win or lose, and took an early 20pt lead. They could have packed it in. They didn't.

Africa had some serious momentum late in the game and kept coming. They were making shots (which is something they haven't been doing) and they clearly wanted this win badly.

With all this being said, I was very impressed with the way our guys stepped up, pushed the lead back out, and put the game away. I like the competitive drive of this group and the way they made plays with the game on the line. Africa kept coming but our guys matched their run with one of their own.

I love the play of multiple guys. Reed Sheppard is gonna be on the floor often. DJ Wagner was crucial late. Reeves kept making shots. I think Edwards is another guy who loves that moment and will do what must be done. Fun game today.

While watching the game I kept thinking how Wagner is going to be a mega star. He does things with so much ease and has a decent shot from outside. He makes mistakes right now but he seems to be money when we need someone to step up. And, he seems to be physically strong for a PG too. I just think what he'll be like by the time March comes around. Haven't seen a lot of people giving him much props during these games but I believe he will be very special this year.

We were poor a lot of the 2nd half and particularly the 3rd q.

Good to see them absorb the the lead disappearing and regroup.

I think the film study of these 4 games will be really helpful. Lots to study and build on. Rebounding will be a point of emphasis. Also stay down on the pump fakes. Communicate.

Cal with an extended period of zone.

The refs have let the teams play football for stretches in all 3 games. Reed has gotten away with a ton of blatant hacks.
Told my wife something similar. The defense we've been allowed to play up north would have 3 or 4 players in foul trouble by the 10 minute mark of the first half with SEC officials.

Another point about the defense: wouldn't rick pitino have loved to coach this roster back in his heyday. They jump passing lanes and back tip ball handlers like no UK team since Rick was on the sidelines...

While watching the game I kept thinking how Wagner is going to be a mega star. He does things with so much ease and has a decent shot from outside. He makes mistakes right now but he seems to be money when we need someone to step up. And, he seems to be physically strong for a PG too. I just think what he'll be like by the time March comes around. Haven't seen a lot of people giving him much props during these games but I believe he will be very special this year.
Oh I totally agree. But hey he was a top prospect coming out of HS. Its kinda expected but yeah Im very excited about DJ.
He is so in control with the basketball and I think his shot is a bit more than descent. No offense.

I didn't get to watch it live because I'm on vacation, so I just finished watching it. A couple thoughts...

Africa added a player yesterday and 2 more today, from what I read. They were clearly playing better than they have the first 2 games.

UK went swimming at Drake's yesterday, were already in the championship game win or lose, and took an early 20pt lead. They could have packed it in. They didn't.

Africa had some serious momentum late in the game and kept coming. They were making shots (which is something they haven't been doing) and they clearly wanted this win badly.

With all this being said, I was very impressed with the way our guys stepped up, pushed the lead back out, and put the game away. I like the competitive drive of this group and the way they made plays with the game on the line. Africa kept coming but our guys matched their run with one of their own.

I love the play of multiple guys. Reed Sheppard is gonna be on the floor often. DJ Wagner was crucial late. Reeves kept making shots. I think Edwards is another guy who loves that moment and will do what must be done. Fun game today.
Any live link to Germany vs Canada scores by chance?

"They were making shots (which is something they haven't been doing) and they clearly wanted this win badly."

How many times have we seen this happen against UK?? And seemingly a lot under Cal.

Ky played well in spurts, Africa had a huge size advantage which helped them rebound and get a lot of 2nd chance points. Shots started falling the 3rd and 4th quarters which also always make you look better.KY to be this young has looked as good as one could have hoped and this season as of now looks promising.

Oh I totally agree. But hey he was a top prospect coming out of HS. Its kinda expected but yeah Im very excited about DJ.
He is so in control with the basketball and I think his shot is a bit more than descent. No offense.
It is expected as he was highly ranked but I've seen only a few comments about him compared to others. Just feel he needs his recognition too. I really think his shot is decent at this point, not great, but hope we'll see that improve even more with time and experience at this level. I just see room for improvement but confident he'll do just that.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
The refs have let the teams play football for stretches in all 3 games. Reed has gotten away with a ton of blatant hacks.
I haven't seen the game yet but had noticed this in the first two games. They will not call SEC games like this and it will hurt UK. Shep would have fouled out before half time if these were SEC games. That will change the style of play and slow our guys down. I hate CBB refs...

Reactions: Lempface
Agree and to quote Mark Stoops, Edwards "is just gettin' started bro"

Guard the 3 well against Germany and it will be an easy win for us tomorrow..:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT