ADVERTISEMENT

There are plenty of up-and-coming NBA assistants I'd be interested in to replace Cal

It'saDoneDeal

Junior
Jul 24, 2007
Whenever we talk about who would replace Cal as the next guy, we often see the usual names thrown out: Chris Beard, Mark Few, Pitino (lol), or Billy Donovan. And then there are the pipe dream candidates like Brad Stevens or Frank Vogel, who I don't think would ever leave their current situations coaching the two most important professional basketball teams of all time and both having NBA championship aspirations with their current rosters.

We don't need a retread and a pipe dream isn't happening. We need someone who is young, extremely motivated to make a name for themselves, and who has a high level of x's and o's talent along with the ability to connect with high level young players and prepare them for the next level, since that will always be important in the college game (just not at the insane level it's at now with Cal where we bring in these fringe talents with NBA dreams who only come here to leave as soon as humanely possible whether they're draftable or not). And to me, the best guys who fit that mold are some of the great young NBA assistant coaches out there. Here are just a few candidates I'd be interested in taking a chance on:

getty-images-816363718.jpg

Charles Lee, 36: Current assistant with the Milwaukee Bucks. Played at Bucknell and was the Patriot League POTY in 2006. He started with Bucknell before they even offered athletic scholarships and only ever accepted partial financial aid. He played some with the Spurs, has experience playing pro internationally, got his foot in the door coaching for the Hawks and is now with the Bucks. Here's a good quote about him describing him as someone who is highly thought of in NBA circles:

“Few assistant coaches saw a bigger season-to-season jump in our informal poll than Charles Lee, 35, who’s in his sixth season working under Mike Budenholzer in Atlanta and now Milwaukee. Fans of Lee, who played professionally overseas before spending a couple of years as an equity trader on Wall Street, tout him as a five-tool coach who is every bit as comfortable having meaningful conversations with a backup point guard as he is dining with a team owner. Those who have worked with him say he has an intuitive sense of how to inspire improvement from players but also understands high-level strategy and the preparation required to implement it. He is, in the words of one peer, someone who is “categorically going to be an NBA head coach.””

jamahl-mosley-knicks-candidate-george-karl.jpg

Jamahl Mosley, 42: He's currently Rick Carlisle's right hand man in Dallas, and Carlisle is one of the best coaches on the planet. Here's what Carlisle had to say about him recently:

“He’s a young man that’s worked extremely hard to build up his reputation as a great young coach, great communicator,” Carlisle said in an appearance on the Dennis and Cowlishaw Show on ESPN Dallas 103.3 [KESN-FM]. “I don’t think he’s going to be with us much longer, honestly. Whether it’s the Knicks or somebody else, this guy is going to be a head coach sooner than later.”

Mosley is currently in his sixth season under Carlisle in Dallas. During the last three seasons, Mosley has served as the Mavericks’ “defensive coordinator,” a role Carlisle called “a position of great responsibility.”

Before coming to Dallas, Mosley spent four seasons with the Cleveland Cavaliers as an assistant coach and was a Nuggets player development coach from 2006-2010. Mosley reportedly drew interest from the Cavaliers for a head coaching position last year, but he opted to stay with the Mavericks.

“He’s got a great reputation with player development and he’s worked for some terrific coaches. He was with George Karl for many years, he was with Mike Brown, he’s had a chance to be here with us and be with, really, an eclectic set of teams over the last six years,” Carlisle said. “The good thing about that, from a coaching standpoint, is you’re in all kind of developmental situations and so I think that’s been really great for all of us, but particularly a young coach like him.”

gettyimages-620500422.jpg

Jarron Collins, 42: Jason Collins' twin brother. Stanford grad with a career in the NBA playing under Jerry Sloane. Got in as a scout with the Clippers, was brought onto the Warriors in 2015 by Steve Kerr for player development and has worked his way up from there. Steve Kerr talking about Collins recently:

“He’s really really smart. Great communicator and collaborator,” Kerr said of Collins. “He’s been a fun guy to work with over the years. He just gets it. It’s a group effort and part of the team to do your share and you support everybody else. That’s what coaching is about. Jarron is really good.”

Some will say you're taking a huge chance with guys like these. I would counter and say whoever we hire to replace Cal is going to be taking a healthy leap of faith in many respects. But I'd rather try and find the next superstar coach who is motivated to prove themselves and to build the program around rather than a retread.

Reactions: CELTICAT
These aren't "no-name NBA assistants;" they're highly touted and highly thought of young NBA assistants who likely will be head coaches at some point soon. That matters.

How much college coaching experience did Adolph Rupp have when we hired him? Oh yeah, that's right, 0. Michigan State was Tom Izzo's first head coaching job, how has he done? Jim Boeheim was never a head coach before Syracuse, do you think they were nuts for hiring him?

Why don't you do some research and actually look a little deeper at these guys than just spouting off?

You put a lot of work into something that is not going to happen.

Based on what? Coaches in the NBA have been coming down to the college game for years: Avery Johnson, Eric Musselman, Chris Mullin, and Mark Price all in recent years. It's definitely a possibility we'd look at the NBA ranks, and not just the superficial fantasy candidates of Stevens or Vogel.

You don't think these guys with experience playing and coaching in the NBA can't sell that to kids and coming to Kentucky? C'mon.

Tom Izzo and Jim Boeheim had 0 head coaching experience before getting their gigs. Adolph Rupp was coaching high schoolers. If a guy knows his x's and o's and knows how to motivate, who cares?

Based on what? Coaches in the NBA have been coming down to the college game for years: Avery Johnson, Eric Musselman, Chris Mullin, and Mark Price all in recent years. It's definitely a possibility we'd look at the NBA ranks, and not just the superficial fantasy candidates of Stevens or Vogel.

How did all of these guys do coaching in college?

Hard pass, if we want a coach who is more about the pros than our sport, college basketball, why not just keep Coach Cal.

These guys are supposedly being groomed to be NBA coaches, why would we want them? Even IF that translated to college success, IF they were interested to take that chance, and IF they really are as good as some think - best case scenario they leave for the pros as soon as they have some success here.

That’s a lot of IFs for a pretty mediocre best case.

Reactions: UK90
Hard pass, if we want a coach who is more about the pros than our sport, college basketball, why not just keep Coach Cal.

So you're limiting the coaching search to guys who are only "more about" the college game and not the pros? Kind of like we hired Rick Pitino in '89 who had been coaching the Knicks for two years. That move really sucked for us....

These guys are supposedly being groomed to be NBA coaches, why would we want them? Even IF that translated to college success, IF they were interested to take that chance, and IF they really are as good as some think - best case scenario they leave for the pros as soon as they have some success here.

That’s a lot of IFs for a pretty mediocre best case.

You're making a lot of assumptions. If a guy can coach successfully at the highest level of basketball on the planet, why is that a bad thing? And why would you assume they would leave the second they had success at Kentucky? Not really getting where you're coming from.

How did all of these guys do coaching in college?

How did Rick Pitino work out coming to Kentucky from the Knicks? How did it work out at Memphis when they took on failed NBA coach John Calipari?

There are risks with any hire.

So you're limiting the coaching search to guys who are only "more about" the college game and not the pros? Kind of like we hired Rick Pitino in '89 who had been coaching the Knicks for two years. That move really sucked for us....

You're making a lot of assumptions. If a guy can coach successfully at the highest level of basketball on the planet, why is that a bad thing? And why would you assume they would leave the second they had success at Kentucky? Not really getting where you're coming from.

All of these guys resumes as described have ZERO college coaching experience. They’re not college coaches and probably don’t want to be, move on.

Feel free to name a coach who started in the pros as an assistant, came down to college as a first time head coach, had success and stuck around. I won’t hold my breath.

Reactions: JFCats22
It wouldn't be bad for Cal to quit hiring old buddies and maybe go the NBA route for some assistants. Cal his hard headed though and resistant to change. That's why he want even look to play zone for any meaningful amount of time even if he's getting abused in man. The NBA guys study the game and know what works. That's why they have went to shooting so many threes.

All of these guys resumes as described have ZERO college coaching experience. They’re not college coaches and probably don’t want to be, move on.

Feel free to name a coach who started in the pros as an assistant, came down to college as a first time head coach, had success and stuck around. I won’t hold my breath.

Eric Musselman came from the NBA ranks down to the college game, had good success at Nevada before he was hired away to Arkansas last year.

Dan Majerle at Grand Canyon had a good run at Grand Canyon.

Who do you want to replace Calipari? To completely rule out candidates just because they haven't coached in the college game seems a little foolish. Guys with NBA experience as players and coaches can be valuable and at least deserve looking deep into than just firing off for another Big XII Gillespie type.

How did Rick Pitino work out coming to Kentucky from the Knicks? How did it work out at Memphis when they took on failed NBA coach John Calipari?

Hahaha. That was 30+ years ago and UK was at its lowest point in program history. They had very limited options.

Give me one recent example (within last 15 years) of a big time program hiring a nobody and staying at the top of college basketball.

Eric Musselman came from the NBA ranks down to the college game, had good success at Nevada before he was hired away to Arkansas last year.

Dan Majerle at Grand Canyon had a good run at Grand Canyon.

Who do you want to replace Calipari? To completely rule out candidates just because they haven't coached in the college game seems a little foolish. Guys with NBA experience as players and coaches can be valuable and at least deserve looking deep into than just firing off for another Big XII Gillespie type.

Your failed examples tells the story. A twice failed NBA head coach comes down the college (as an assistant first) after he’s burned all his rope in the league? How is that comparable to your suggestions.

Then a guy who got fired from Grand Canyon. That’s success in the college game to you?

Reactions: JFCats22
Hahaha. That was 30+ years ago and UK was at its lowest point in program history. They had very limited options.

Give me one recent example (within last 15 years) of a big time program hiring a nobody and staying at the top of college basketball.

Nah, I'm done playing the game of changing qualifiers. Anything I respond with the field goal posts are moved a little further back and you're not even responding to my original points. And not one of you has even taken two minutes of your day to read anything up on the three candidates I listed above, who I admitted would be taking a healthy leap of faith/chance to hire. Read through their resumes and what other coaches and players have to say about them and then get back to me.

Coach K was a nobody at Army when Duke hired him. Izzo and Boeheim? Nobody assistants. You guys can pine for Billy Donovan or Mark Few, or be completely wishful thinking about Stevens or Vogel or someone of that stature. But when those guys aren't options, then what? Another Gillispie type? Kentucky can be a trend-setter and think outside the box. I'm okay with that.

Nah, I'm done playing the game of changing qualifiers. Anything I respond with the field goal posts are moved a little further back and you're not even responding to my original points. And not one of you has even taken two minutes of your day to read anything up on the three candidates I listed above, who I admitted would be taking a healthy leap of faith/chance to hire. Read through their resumes and what other coaches and players have to say about them and then get back to me.

Coach K was a nobody at Army when Duke hired him. Izzo and Boeheim? Nobody assistants. You guys can pine for Billy Donovan or Mark Few, or be completely wishful thinking about Stevens or Vogel or someone of that stature. But when those guys aren't options, then what? Another Gillispie type? Kentucky can be a trend-setter and think outside the box. I'm okay with that.

Ok, let me know when someone else agrees with this premise and when you come up with a valid example and not programs hiring coaches 40 years ago.

What a ridiculous thread.

You don't think these guys with experience playing and coaching in the NBA can't sell that to kids and coming to Kentucky? C'mon.
This reminds me of the broken logic used when past NBA stars like Isiah Thomas, Clyde Drexler, Chris Mullin, Sydney Moncrief, Willis Reed, Mark Price and Danny Manning were given college HC jobs. The flawed logic was that recruits would be clamoring to play for a former NBA superstar. Well, wrong. All were dismal failures.

Hell, even ones that had experience as BOTH an NBA head coach and player like Avery Johnson, Mike Dunleavy and Isiah ended up failures at the college level. And former NBAer currently coaching college programs (Penny Hardaway, Patrick Ewing, Terry Porter, etc.) appear to be on the road to failure as well.

History has proven that an NBA resume doesn’t help much in the college head coaching game, as those guys almost always end up failing. Your idea is a bad one.

Last edited:
I'm not asking that we hire some "name" NBA coach like the examples you used. The college programs that did that had their reasons, but we all know Penny Hardaway wasn't hired to Memphis because he was thought to be great a x's and o's guy or some great basketball mind.

If you're okay with considering assistant coaches who coached under Coach K, or Roy, or Jay Wright or whoever, what's the logical reason why you would be against a guy who has coached under Popovich, or Rick Carlisle, or Jerry Sloan? Last time I checked, the rules are pretty similar between the NBA and NCAA: you try to put that round rubber ball thing in the other guy's basket more than they put it in yours.

I understand Kentucky fans want a "name" coach. We want to feel all nice and cuddly and warm when it comes time to replace Cal. All I am saying is that there are great young coaches in the NBA ranks and we'd be foolish not to consider them when the time comes. I don't care about norms.

too many unknowns

we rush to get anyone and we get Billy Gillispie II

Mitch has already proved his coaching evaluation talent.

Lets hope there is an obvious choice when the time comes - alot can happen as this season and the next progresses..

Last edited:
Reactions: It'saDoneDeal
I'm not asking that we hire some "name" NBA coach like the examples you used. The college programs that did that had their reasons, but we all know Penny Hardaway wasn't hired to Memphis because he was thought to be great a x's and o's guy or some great basketball mind.
But you suggested that the reason they’d be good recruiters, despite having zero recruiting experience, is because they could “sell” their NBA background.

Well, that’s a premise that has consistently been proven wrong in the past. If the “I was an NBAer” sales pitch didn’t work for former superstars, then I doubt it’d mean much for a mere ex backup scrub like Jarron Collins.

There’s a lot more to recruiting than you seem to think. CBB recruiting is a viciously competitive game, and a skill that usually requires plenty of time, experience and developed connections to become good at. And I don’t think we should be entrusting the UK program to someone who has never tried to do it in his life ...especially if that guy has also never tried to be a head coach in his life.

Last edited:
I would say when it comes to being the men’s basketball coach at Kentucky that fundraising, glad handling and kissing booster’s asses is about as important as handling the team itself. I bet each one of those guys OP posted could build and coach a final four or better caliber team in roughly 3 or 4 seasons, but the outside the court demands of this job could be an issue. If you think Cal condescends this fan base, just imagine how these guys would handle it.

with that said, I don’t think OP’s post is all that preposterous. Cal’s hire in many ways was outside of conventional at the time with his history, and what he represented when it came to OAD. Bucking convention can work, and bringing in a brilliant young basketball mind that can connect with recruits due to their NBA connection could be a path to surpassing UCLA. Imagine having an actual bench coach against WVU, UConn, and Wisconsin.

Don't think taking an NBA assistant is going to appease some on this fanbase. The best bet is to pluck a rising coach from a lesser program. If you find the right guy, he might be here for 15 to 20 years. Where as someone already in the NBA is likely looking to make his living in the NBA

This is one of the dumber comparisons ever, a totally different thing from what you’re suggesting in this thread.

Pitino and Cal had tons of proven success as both college head coaches and recruiters at the time we hired them, indeed both had taken teams to the final four (Pitino at Providence and Cal at both UMass and Memphis).

Whereas here you’re suggesting hiring someone who has never even tried recruiting, or been a head coach at any level. If you think these situations are in any way analogous, then you’re just not very smart.

Last edited:
No, it's not a great comparison at all, but was just trying to respond to moving qualifiers.

I still haven't seen any retort to why it's okay to consider a college assistant coach as an up-and-comer but not a NBA assistant coach. Seems like recruiting is the main concern, which I don't think would be an issue for young coaches with NBA pedigrees coaching at Kentucky. There's a lot more co-mingling now between the NBA and NCAA than there really has ever been previously. Just think we shouldn't have any potential coaching replacement search just focused on like 5-6 guys, most of whom would never come here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT