ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting THE WAR ROOM!

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
** UK loves RB commit Isaiah West but he is visiting Ohio State very soon and things are serious with the Buckeyes. It's not clear if he has moved firmly into the take camp. Makes sense that Ohio State would want the narrative to stay on their terms until they make a decision and then push for him, but I don't think he'd be going in unless there was major interest from him in Ohio State. As of right now UK's got arguably the best duo it ever has in Marquise Davis and Isaiah West. You're talking about two guys who could play at big-time football factories. Going to be tough to keep both of them but with West if you can get over this hurdle maybe it gets easier.

** Speaking of Ohio State, the Buckeyes are also recruiting UK OL target Andrew Stargel as mentioned the other day. OSU's Justin Frye stopped by to check in on him. I believe this is going to stretch into next month when Stargel will take some official visits. My understanding is he will officially visit Kentucky unless he decides before then, and will also go to Ohio State. As of the latest intel I've received this week it is not yet clear if he is a take for the Buckeyes. Obviously the hope is that he wouldn't be, because UK likes him a lot and they'd be in great shape.

** Kentucky remains in good shape with Michigan offensive tackle Darrin Strey. He is one of the linemen who has reciprocated the most interest. I think that is going to be his very first official visit of the summer but don't want to give the impression it's over and done with. While I expect him to have a decision made before the start of his senior year, he's looking at some very high end academic schools, Northwestern and Stanford as well. I'd still give Kentucky the best shot right now and that would help the situation a lot at tackle. Need that early June official to go very well. One thing I have learned: It's not over and locked up. There has been lots of talk about UK's standing with Strey, but there is definitely still a sense that he could find those elite academic schools very appealing. The connections that come with a Stanford degree are very enticing for a lot of guys.

** Florida OT Bryan Auguste will be taking officials to Kentucky, West Virginia, and Syracuse, with Boston College another school trying to get involved. If Auguste is a take for UK when the summer rolls around I think they'll have a good shot.

** Tarren Hendrick from Naples, Fla. is another OL the Cats are very big on. He's got a nice offer list so it will be a battle but remember his name, he's a legit target for them.

** N-Kye Wynn remains a strong offensive line option for them but there's a lot of competition there, lots of new offers have come in lately.

** I know there has been a prediction for Javeon Campbell (in-state EDGE) to pick Kentucky. As of right now, I believe Kentucky would be the smart money choice. Campbell is well regarded by a number of big name programs and will visit Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, and Miami. His UK OV will be his first of June. In this day and age if Kentucky locks onto an in-state guy they really want they're going to have a great chance with him. I'm not quite ready to put a pick in yet because he's just finalizing visits so it's an awkward time to be calling it. But I do think they're in the best shape.

** Ohio defensive lineman Cedric Works is going to be visiting Florida, Kentucky, and Penn State this summer. UK's coaching staff has done a good job of staying on him. Works told me not long ago that both Vince Marrow and Brad White have made a big impression on him. He believes in the development piece with UK. I have not mentioned Works as much as some other guys this year because I hadn't gotten much confirmation about this being really serious, but this week I got that. At least one person believes Kentucky may eventually get him. I am not ready to log a pick but it's serious.

** Penn State just took a surprise commitment from tight end Matt Henderson, and that could have positive ramifications for UK's standing with Brody Lennon, whose three summer visits have been planned to UK, Penn State, and Pitt. For a couple of months now I've heard Lennon mentioned as a guy UK is very serious about and that's not a bad sign. Great athlete at tight end.

** Still have the sense that UK and NC State are in the best shape for in-state center prospect Isaac Sowells. May come down to summer officials and where things stand then but I'm not overly confident in which way that would go if he were deciding today. OTOH, he has played up connections to other guys UK is recruiting locally, but he definitely has a lot of interest in NC State and has been around there a lot.

** 4-star UK corner target Dalen Penson is now a state champion in track.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News