ADVERTISEMENT

The rubber's fixin' to hit the road . . .

ukalum1988

All-American
Dec 21, 2014
Evansville IN
. . . when it comes to the 2016 class. I believe it's on or about the first of August when schools can send out written offers to recruits. The implication of the written offer, is that once a recruit formally accepts the written offer, the school is bound to that recruit. You would certainly think Kobe Smith will get a written offer, considering that the staff accepted his commitment so close to the August 1 date. Obviously, a particular school must be judicious in who to send out written offers to. The recruit, however, is not formally bound to the school and could continue to take other visits, etc. See the Marcelys Jones saga a few years ago.

Last year, Luke Heirs de-committed when he failed to get a written offer. What I recall hearing is that the staff had second thoughts about him after an apparently lackluster showing at the UK summer camps. I believe he ended up at UCF (or maybe USF).

I hope all our current verbals get a written offer. Having said all that, if the staff decides not to extend a written offer to one or more of our commits, then I will trust and respect their judgment.

. . . when it comes to the 2016 class. I believe it's on or about the first of August when schools can send out written offers to recruits. The implication of the written offer, is that once a recruit formally accepts the written offer, the school is bound to that recruit. You would certainly think Kobe Smith will get a written offer, considering that the staff accepted his commitment so close to the August 1 date. Obviously, a particular school must be judicious in who to send out written offers to. The recruit, however, is not formally bound to the school and could continue to take other visits, etc. See the Marcelys Jones saga a few years ago.
I believe you are confusing "written offer" with letter of intent (LOI). Recruits do not "accept" the written offer. The delivery of a "written offer" merely reaffirms in writing what the recruit has been told up to that point. There are separate dates in the recruiting calendar when a school can first make a formal written scholarship offer (i.e., part of the recruiting cycle) and offer the actual LOI and financial award. LOIs are accompanied by the financial award letter and only when those documents are signed (really just the LOI) is when the recruit is bound to the school (and vice versa).

Peace

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT