ADVERTISEMENT

The New Madrid Fault continues to rumble

Who are the shipdits who thought it was a good idea to put nuclear reactors on a major fault line?

The need for water for cooling makes siting nuclear reactors a bit of a gamble. If you site a reactor on stable craton, you are probably not going to have enough water. If you site it on a river or lake or ocean front, you have weather or geological issues.

~20 years ago they tried to fan New Madrid anxieties when they thought it had a 100 year cycle. They studied it and recalculated it: new estimate was over 700 years.

As for size, you'd have to be real near Ground Zero to feel a 2.0 earthquake.

The risk of catastrophic devastation to achieve 700 years of sustained power.

Your elaboration isn't very elaborate. Excuse me if I'm wrong, but you seem to think the risk and the reward are equal. A lot of people would find them wildly unequal. I don't imagine the citizens of the northeast coast of Japan dance a jig over the prospect of nuclear reactors in their neighborhood.

Seeing as 1 cubic centimeter of uranium has about as much electricty-producing potential as all known coal reserves combined, I'm willing to trade a couple dozen Chernobyls for cheap kilowatts.

Where do you find your amazing factoids?

Nothing to see, it's just the WWE.

Earthquake+4.gif

Reactions: allabouttheUK
Yep, and that northeast half of Japan is worthless for the next 100 or so years. High risk. But holy shit, look at that reward (energy).

Yep, and that northeast half of Japan is worthless for the next 100 or so years. High risk. But holy shit, look at that reward (energy).
You really have no idea what you're talking about and there is no reason for that other than willful ignorance. Pretty sure you know how to read.

Reactions: 80 Proof
Then it sounds to me like the NMF is a bit of a slacker, what with 204+ years of unfulfilled potential and all.
It typically takes new Madrid fault around 200 to 220 years to have a major earhquake. I can't remember where I seen the article about it, but as far back as they have recorded them it has happened real close to 200 years apart each time.

It typically takes new Madrid fault around 200 to 220 years to have a major earhquake. I can't remember where I seen the article about it, but as far back as they have recorded them it has happened real close to 200 years apart each time.

Be some shit if that thing opened up right under the Mississippi River and drained the damn thing.

The though of a major quake close to Kentucky freaks me out a bit. A lot of this state is a major quake away from being a giant sinkhole.

Any geologists here? I've looked into the question of the maximum size of an earthquake and apparently the 9.5 earthquake near Chile is the largest in historical time. The articles talked about the length of the fault limiting the size of the quake, but I wondered whether rock could withstand forces much larger than for a 9.5 quake. Once the stress got to X any rock would shear or crumble. I suspect I'm clueless about the mechanics of earthquakes.

Any geologists here? I've looked into the question of the maximum size of an earthquake and apparently the 9.5 earthquake near Chile is the largest in historical time. The articles talked about the length of the fault limiting the size of the quake, but I wondered whether rock could withstand forces much larger than for a 9.5 quake. Once the stress got to X any rock would shear or crumble. I suspect I'm clueless about the mechanics of earthquakes.

Definitely not a geologist, but have a spectators interest in natural disasters. So if one hit Kentucky the quake would be well below the cave level and the plates would push over/under one another. I would think that even with a moderate 5-6 magnitude quake depending on how shallow it was would be enough to destabilize some of the cave systems and make the collapse.So if the cave collapses then everything above it falls to, right? I mean you can't raise or lower a plate without affecting what is sitting on top of it, can you?

Yep. Geologist here.

Teachable Moe, it does matter about the size of the fault line due to the hydrolic pressure being pushed by thermodynamic gradiation. They can withstand a 9.5 at that size, but no matter the size of the fault line, a 11.0 would pretty much split the Earth in half. It's not that you're clueless. far from it, it's just you being ignorant about Geology.

Yep. Geologist here.

Teachable Moe, it does matter about the size of the fault line due to the hydrolic pressure being pushed by thermodynamic gradiation. They can withstand a 9.5 at that size, but no matter the size of the fault line, a 11.0 would pretty much split the Earth in half. It's not that you're clueless. far from it, it's just you being ignorant about Geology.

Thanks for the response.

Reactions: Willy4UK
Yep. Geologist here.

Willy is a hydrogeologist, which is like saying a chiropractor is a medical doctor. There is no limit on the size of an earthquake. Even a 16.9 one would merely turn the roads over. Inconvenient, but this isn't a movie. Stop being so dramatic.

Reactions: Willy4UK
Willy is a hydrogeologist, which is like saying a chiropractor is a medical doctor. There is no limit on the size of an earthquake. Even a 16.9 one would merely turn the roads over. Inconvenient, but this isn't a movie. Stop being so dramatic.

Exactly. I try to just use the Geologist label because it's what people recognize. You start talking Hydrogeology and you will absolutely lose people.

Exactly. I try to just use the Geologist label because it's what people recognize. You start talking Hydrogeology and you will absolutely lose people.
I don't know why. Hydrogeology:Geology::TBall:MLB

If you keep throwing around your Geologist tag, I will have your accreditation pulled. You don't even have to do post-doctorate work in Hydrogeology (aka Water Rocks)

If you keep throwing around your Geologist tag, I will have your accreditation pulled. You don't even have to do post-doctorate work in Hydrogeology (aka Water Rocks)

Please don't man. Strayer University is already having enough trouble as it is. That whole university will crumble if their Hydrogeology dept. gets removed. Look at the damage to all the African Americans attending UNC for the African American studies degree.

so willy studies ice?

is all of this code for meth use?

Reactions: maverick1

So,apparently I've misunderstood earthquakes. I've always pictured the movement of the Earth being resisted by the strength of the affected rocks. Once the stress exceeds the strength of the rock, the earth moves. Within that was the assumption that there is a limit on the strength of rocks. So, there was a limit (according to my layman's ideas) on the amount of stress that an earthquake can release. (There have been movements precipitated by outside forces -- like a huge asteroid -- but that seems to be outside the usual meaning of earthquake. )

So, what is the immediate "cause" of an earthquake?

Well, as with most sciences, it's only a 'theory' as to why they occur at all. Plate Tectonics theory, for example, say that the continents are in a constant survival mode, trying to be the last one left after all the shifting. The European plate is losing, obviously, a battle against the African plate. Once Europe goes under Africa, it will set its sights on the American plate. Whichever is the final continent becomes Pangea, which is Latin for 'great victor'. So it all has something to do with that and lava/magma. Again, this is all a theory, which is basically a way to just throw the proverbial darts at the gift horse's mouth, so to speak.

Reactions: ymmot31
So,apparently I've misunderstood earthquakes. I've always pictured the movement of the Earth being resisted by the strength of the affected rocks. Once the stress exceeds the strength of the rock, the earth moves. Within that was the assumption that there is a limit on the strength of rocks. So, there was a limit (according to my layman's ideas) on the amount of stress that an earthquake can release. (There have been movements precipitated by outside forces -- like a huge asteroid -- but that seems to be outside the usual meaning of earthquake. )

It's all tectonic plates man. Look, the rocks stick while trying to move. Trying to move it causes friction.

Your elaboration isn't very elaborate. Excuse me if I'm wrong, but you seem to think the risk and the reward are equal. A lot of people would find them wildly unequal. I don't imagine the citizens of the northeast coast of Japan dance a jig over the prospect of nuclear reactors in their neighborhood.

Japan has a large population in a small area, what other forms of energy production should they be using?

Based on # of deaths per kWh, nuclear does ok.

Energy Source Mortality Rate (deaths/trillionkWhr)

Coal – global average 100,000 (50% global electricity)

Coal – China 170,000 (75% China’s electricity)

Coal – U.S. 10,000 (44% U.S. electricity)

Oil 36,000 (36% of energy, 8% of electricity)

Natural Gas 4,000 (20% global electricity)

Biofuel/Biomass 24,000 (21% global energy)

Solar (rooftop) 440 (< 1% global electricity)

Wind 150 (~ 1% global electricity)

Hydro – global average 1,400 (15% global electricity)

Hydro – U.S. 0.01 (7% U.S. electricity)

Nuclear – global average 90 (17% global electricity w/Chern&Fukush)

Nuclear – U.S. 0.01 (19% U.S. electricity)

Reactions: CUJO_1970
Turn the roads over?! ****! What does that mean for my garden?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT