ADVERTISEMENT

The Dragon had no fire.

uk78

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
I have such mixed feelings about Kahlil Whitney and also a message to all of us that preseason hype on any recruit does not always translate to outcome. Clarke, Boston, etc. we all are expecting great things and hopefully they prove true. But, be honest, at this time a season ago didn't you have perhaps even greater expectations for Whitney? He was supposedly a prize recruit. I certainly remember watching those YouTube videos and a lot of chatter here about his superstar potential. So, in that respect I do feel bad that it didn't work out and now this kid is undrafted.

However, my mixed feelings is also that you don't run away from challenges in your choosen career. I read his excuse today was he didn't fit in the structure of Cal's offense. Really? No, he had a lot to learn, showed poor fundamentals, and overall decision making. He was given plently of chances and the team radically improved with his departure. Kentucky is about competition and making yourself better. Sometimes that takes patience and working through adversity. There is no doubt he was a superior athelete and if he allowed himself time to grow and mature with a few years at Kentucky he likely would have eventually experienced a totally different life outcome. Unfortunately, he had a lot of apparently bad advisers and leaving early for him, as well as a few others when it is clear they are not ready, is sad.

Obviously he did not get drafted but did he get any free agent offers for a 2 way contract or anything ?

"at this time a season ago didn't you have perhaps even greater expectations for Whitney? "

NO. Not even close. He is nowhere near the player Boston and Clark are. He was athletic but cant score. Comparing Boston/Clark is ridiculous.

Yeah... I remember Maxey being the more hyped freshman that we'd talked about on here for a year+ prior to his arrival, the excitement about returning Hagans and Quickley to join with him as one of the nation's best backcourts, and the (unrealized) hype about EJ making a huge sophomore leap. I didn't know much of anything about Whitney, definitely expected better than we got but didn't know if we were getting a guy like Knox, a guy like Hami... certainly didn't expect what we saw.

I agree but sometimes its hard for a kid to stand up to uncles , fathers, step fathers , “supposed” mentors and such .
Gotta become your own person at some point. I can’t say I feel that bad for him. He could’ve stuck it out, gotten better, waited his turn. But nope, he wasn’t ready by December his freshman year so he had to bolt [laughing] .

That’s a loser’s mentality.

what i think is hilarious is hearing how he and ej both got all dressed up for the draft. who seriously is advising these kids??? did they really expect to hear their name called???

Whitney simply doesn't exist as a Kentucky Wildcat anymore.. at least in my eyes.

It's not like Cal is asking a ton from these guys: come for a year, live better than 99.999% of any college freshman across America, if you listen to Cal, he'll get you 10's of millions and you'll be playing the sport you love as a career.

Literally, all you have to do is just make it through 8 months of practice and games. That's it. What an amazing deal that some of last years players couldn't keep up their simple end of the bargain.

If he was 18 then it was his decision.

The only 18 year olds not listening to adult/parent/or extended family influence are the ones totally disconnected from family. (Which is not a good place for an 18 yr old to be.) Healthy adults help 18 yr olds evaluate situations, but then encourage them to make their own decision. "I'll help answer any questions, but it's your life and needs to be your decision." I feel bad for Whitney. Sounds like he's had people leeching on or living their life through him.

To the OP - I've learned to get nervous when I hear, "very athletic, but not a great shooter." I have low expectations when I hear this because it also usually means "poor handles." We could make long list of these players. Diallo is first one to come to mind. These players can eventually become good players and even play in the league. (IE - Diallo) Rarely will these players make impact in just one year of college.

Gilchrist was the exception. BUT ... he handled the ball well enough to lead the break and attack the rim without being a turnover machine. Plus, he was a tenacious defender.

I know Cal loves athletic wings. But, he needs to be honest with them (and himself) from the beginning. They have to defend and rebound like Gilchrist and plan on a couple years to develop ability to play off the dribble. (BTW-I'm not complaining about Cal's recruiting. He's a great recruiter. I'm just saying he loves athletic wings who can't shoot. He probably sees some Gilchrist potential in all of them.) The Whitney's of the world need to go to Developmental League for a couple years, or plan on 2-3 years in college. I suspect most prefer skipping college. Whitney will be test case to see if he ends up in the developmental league and if it helps. Hope he doesn't give up on his dream and wish him the best. Things came easy for him before UK. Poor shooting athletes face major reality check when they leave h.s.

I love that he went undrafted. Now his lazy ass dad and handlers will have to get a real job. They thought they were gonna get to mooch off of him the rest of their lives after he got dat NBA money. Love it. A dumbass decision by them from the beginning. Everyone knew it. Now they reap what they sow.

Last edited:
Being a good athlete and being able to dunk a basketball doesn't make you a good basketball player, quitting like he did when things got tough didn't do him any favors. He would have to do a whole lot to impress me now to show me what kind of player he could be if I were general manager and the baggage he has with his handlers needs to be addressed with him.

He did somewhat decent in the EYBL. He was about to split a lot of time with Brooks and Juzang. College wasn't right for him so he decided he could improve on his chosen trade through another setting. I don't think we would get the development of Brooks and Juzang like we did if Whitney stayed. Unfortunately Juzang transferred but it was great to see Brooks grow and hopefully be a leader this year.

Best of luck to Whitney in his pursuit of a career in hoops.

I seriously forgot about this dude last night. Thought of him being drafted or even signed after, never crossed my mind. Cautionary tale indeed.

I have such mixed feelings about Kahlil Whitney and also a message to all of us that preseason hype on any recruit does not always translate to outcome. Clarke, Boston, etc. we all are expecting great things and hopefully they prove true. But, be honest, at this time a season ago didn't you have perhaps even greater expectations for Whitney? He was supposedly a prize recruit. I certainly remember watching those YouTube videos and a lot of chatter here about his superstar potential. So, in that respect I do feel bad that it didn't work out and now this kid is undrafted.

However, my mixed feelings is also that you don't run away from challenges in your choosen career. I read his excuse today was he didn't fit in the structure of Cal's offense. Really? No, he had a lot to learn, showed poor fundamentals, and overall decision making. He was given plently of chances and the team radically improved with his departure. Kentucky is about competition and making yourself better. Sometimes that takes patience and working through adversity. There is no doubt he was a superior athelete and if he allowed himself time to grow and mature with a few years at Kentucky he likely would have eventually experienced a totally different life outcome. Unfortunately, he had a lot of apparently bad advisers and leaving early for him, as well as a few others when it is clear they are not ready, is sad.
Yeah, if I'm being as generous as I can be, I would say Whitney was a victim of too much hype and not enough substance. To quote our former coach Tubby Smith, Whitney was a guy who "looked like Tarzan, but played like Jane." That probably isn't very PC, but it's accurate in my opinion.

It wasn't a matter of not fitting in with the offense and it certainly wasn't a matter of not being given the opportunity. Calipari started him the entire first half of the season. Opportunities were plentiful. Some might argue, for the sake of the team, Cal gave him TOO MUCH time to get it figured out. He was a turnover machine. He couldn't catch the ball. If he caught it, he couldn't hold it. He couldn't dribble the ball. He couldn't make a shot. I'm not sure if his issue was nerves, lack of confidence, or what. All I know is that he wasn't ready for the speed of the game at this level.

What Whitney needed was the same thing some of these other guys need when they leave early or transfer... patience. That's hard for these guys, I know. It's hard for me, too, and probably for most people. But Whitney needed time to get it figured out without having people in his ear trying to blame everyone and everything else. He needed to keep working and earn playing time. I have no doubt, he's got the talent and athleticism to be a success.

Toxic voices kill these guys. People think they're being kind when they tell a guy he's great and should be starting and should have the ball in his hands and should be scoring 20 a game and the coaches don't know how to use you, and so on. But they're not doing a guy like Whitney any favors. That kid needed a parent to agree with a coach that the kid needs to ride the bench and get better, THEN he'd make his case and the coaches would have no choice but to give him more time. But that's not what happened.

Reactions: bfawns
I love that he went undrafted. Now his lazy ass dad and handlers will have to get a real job. They thought they were gonna get to mooch off of him the rest of their lives after he got dat NBA money. Love it. A dumbass decision by them from the beginning. Everyone knew it. Now they reap what they sow.

Believe it or not, it's actually good that Whitney (and even Hagans) didn't get drafted. Had Whitney bailed after half the season and, somehow, wound up being drafted in the 1st round, then it really casts even more doubt on how necessary the college game is.

For that reason, I'm glad that Whitney and Hagans went undrafted, guys like RJ Hampton not going high, and even guys like Jaden McDaniels falling in the draft.. Whatever helps prove that, Yes, you still benefit going to play for a HOF coach at a Blue Blood school.,

Whitney got plenty of time early last season to prove he belonged on the court. As the season progressed, he didn’t and other guys deserved the playing time. Cal gave him multiple opportunities. He has no one to blame at UK.

I won’t knock the guy, we all have to live with our decisions. Hopefully he can get the wrong people out of his ears.

1. Khalil had maybe the worst ball handling skills of any SG/SF in the Cal era. Poythress was the only one as bad...but I thought Alex played more PF at UK after his Fr year. Maybe Mulder is in this level as I don't remember him doing much off the dribble.
2. He wasn't a bad shot....but not an elite shooter either.
3. Had zero basketball IQ on where to be on the court. No idea how to play passing lanes. Can't pass the ball. etc...
4. And the crusher is had no much of a motor to play hard. Don't remember getting 5-6 or more rebounds in a game. Not a defensive lock down kid. Not exactly a strong body type yet.

All in all...I echo the sentiment to be prepared when you hear "Great athlete but not a big time shooter"...and guys like Whitney fit that bill. I won't be shocked if Camron Fletcher's game has rough edges in his Fr year....but these kids need to get over not playing huge minutes early and develop. When this is how is pans out....it's sort of a waste of time to spend a roster spot on them.

I expected big things from Whitney but I expect way more from Boston and Clarke than I ever did Whitney. Those two are legit top 5 draft picks. Boston could go down as the best wing Cal has ever had.

Whitney was always just an athlete trying to play basketball though. Boston and TC are basketball players who are also athletes

very good guy, his dad and handlers not so much we should not trash KH it wasn’t his choice to transfer.......he loves UK and Cal and I still think he has enormous potential. Best of luck to bro.

1. Khalil had maybe the worst ball handling skills of any SG/SF in the Cal era. Poythress was the only one as bad...but I thought Alex played more PF at UK after his Fr year. Maybe Mulder is in this level as I don't remember him doing much off the dribble.
2. He wasn't a bad shot....but not an elite shooter either.
3. Had zero basketball IQ on where to be on the court. No idea how to play passing lanes. Can't pass the ball. etc...
4. And the crusher is had no much of a motor to play hard. Don't remember getting 5-6 or more rebounds in a game. Not a defensive lock down kid. Not exactly a strong body type yet.

All in all...I echo the sentiment to be prepared when you hear "Great athlete but not a big time shooter"...and guys like Whitney fit that bill. I won't be shocked if Camron Fletcher's game has rough edges in his Fr year....but these kids need to get over not playing huge minutes early and develop. When this is how is pans out....it's sort of a waste of time to spend a roster spot on them.
He was a pretty terrible shooter lol, he missed a free-throw as bad as any Jr. Pro kid I have coached in the last couple of years in the Jordan game, completely missed the rim and hit left backboard. That's when I knew there were gonna be issues!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT