ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee defense observations

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
I've only watched maybe one full game thus far this season combined. But, here's what stuck with me about their defense:

1. Seems pretty high risk/high reward. When they blitz, they come with a bunch of folks. If the QB is able to get the ball out quick, some big plays are there for the taking (we saw this first-hand the last two offensive plays against them last year).
2. Very athletic and fast. Secondary is either put on an island too often or just are very good/disciplined in their assignments. Again, with a good plan and Levis getting the ball away quickly, there are big plays to be had. They also like to jump routes and go for the INT so Levis has to be precise or we could see several turnovers.
3. Seems like they don't disguise their blitzes very well. The time I've watched them it was pretty obvious presnap who was coming and from where. I hope Levis and the staff see it as clearly as I did.
4. Their offensive scheme does not give the D much chance to catch their breath. If we can put together some long SCORING drives, we can wear their D out. Can't get into a fast break shootout or have dumba$$ penalties or really bad TOs. Don't have to be perfect but we have to keep them on their heels, don't try to do too much with each play, control the ball and clock.
5. First 2-3 series are critical. If we match them or maybe stop them a couple of times, it will calm the crowd, not allow the D to play pass/blitz all game long, etc. If we're down 17 points early, it's over. Gotta stay close early and let their fast break offense start to slow down and we can wear 'em down in the end and win. A couple of big sacks and/or turnovers early would be awesome. They'll come out firing like they always do and try to score within 4 plays (Heupel can get impatient and try to go big too often, imo). Gotta withstand that early onslaught and then they'll have a game on their hands.

Agree with all that. Their defensive plan is like their offensive plan, make the other side, high energy, aggressive and make the offense uncomfortable to create negative plays and turnovers. You do have to make them pay with quick reads to your playmakers and can also gash them with draws on pass sets. But think we'll try to go big set and pound them to start to take away some of their ability to do some of that. Expect they will do run blitzes as well to try and stop us from doing that as well.

Hope we see more of the quick hitting run plays instead of the read option that take too long for CRod to get the ball and get going. Take their speed guys out of it and make them play big boy ball between the tackles. Thats what they dont want to do.

Agree with all that. Their defensive plan is like their offensive plan, make the other side, high energy, aggressive and make the offense uncomfortable to create negative plays and turnovers. You do have to make them pay with quick reads to your playmakers and can also gash them with draws on pass sets. But think we'll try to go big set and pound them to start to take away some of their ability to do some of that. Expect they will do run blitzes as well to try and stop us from doing that as well.

Hope we see more of the quick hitting run plays instead of the read option that take too long for CRod to get the ball and get going. Take their speed guys out of it and make them play big boy ball between the tackles. Thats what they dont want to do.
Whole post is dead on but specifically the last part.

Drop the delayed handoffs. Heavy dose of HB ISO and Power. Full speed downhill running with a pulling guard or lead back/ motioned TE picking up the first LBer.

The 3 yards and a cloud of dust run game is undervalued these days in favor for long developing stretch run plays looking for the cutback to pick up the same 3 yards.

Good thoughts gamecockcat!

- Heupel offense strategy is similar to defense.....very high risk/high reward. Big plays on O...Negative plays on D. Not a bend but not break philosophy at all.
- I agree with the power run stuff but not slow developing run plays.....and probably need to lay off the play action
- I'd leave RB and 1 TE to block and go three wide with Brown, Tayion and Key with a heavy dose of one on one passes. Have to make them pay for blitzing and UK needs to hit some big strikes. It's just going to have to be that kind of game. UK can't sustain 10 play drives vs. Tennessee (and our offense simply can't string a bunch of mistake free plays).
- I hope UK get the screen game going early and often. TE and RB screens should be a heavy dose. Some will do nothing but enough of them will generate big gains.
- Levis has to get rid of the ball.....this is one of those game he can really earn some draft press if he plays solid

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
UK needs to keep RB’s and TEs back to help protect and UK needs to run short routes with BB, Robinson and Key and let Levis burn the Vols all night.
So far to me, Key isn't as much of a YAC guy as Robinson and Brown. Key is more that deep threat with superior hands to make a catch even when covered. Brown and Robinson are the ones who turn those short passes into big plays.

They'll force quick decisions which is not one of Levis' strengths. Last game he showed more growth there than ever.

PA pass will have to be quick. Screen game should be huge.

Wide zone won't be there unless it's a toss concept. Backside will chase it down. Any inside zone will require a split zone from the fb/h-b.

Gap scheme with powers/counters should be big. Just need to cut off that backside dl pursuit.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
They'll force quick decisions which is not one of Levis' strengths. Last game he showed more growth there than ever.

Wide zone won't be there unless it's a toss concept. Backside will chase it down. Any inside zone will require a split zone from the fb/h-b.

Gap scheme with powers/counters should be big. Just need to cut off that backside dl pursuit.
Man I have a feeling CRod is going to grind them into small granules of orange and black powder.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
U guys are overthinking all of this … all comes down to your OL play. They play the game of their lives u have a chance. Play like they have most of the year , will get ugly and be lucky if Levi’s finishes the game. Not very complicated

If you're offensive line ain't doing very well and they're wanting to blitz like crazy then I think you play Levis like the Louisville game last year.
Meaning you use him as a runner more. Designed run plays for Levis could work early.
And we haven't showed much running with him this year. But he can be very dangerous on a blitzing type defense.
Maybe even throw four receivers out there for fooling...

No plan to throw it at all, just ready to run....

the stadium is impressively loud -- am worried about motion penalties; i.e. drive killers.
The offense worked well in the Swamp, as far as operating with silent counts. Don't recall many playclock issues or motion penalties. Def will be a louder situation Sat night, I'm sure we have been working last 2 weeks with simulated crowd noise in practice.

Reactions: Davae9
If you're offensive line ain't doing very well and they're wanting to blitz like crazy then I think you play Levis like the Louisville game last year.
Meaning you use him as a runner more. Designed run plays for Levis could work early.
And we haven't showed much running with him this year. But he can be very dangerous on a blitzing type defense.

He is still walking in a boot for the bad toe. he ain't gonna have any called rush attempts beyond QB sneak on 3rd/4th & inches.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity

On board with this. They are smallish and have to be very aggressive attacking the los from the second level to stop the run because of that , which they do reasonably well but it gives up big openings on pass plays. I think we see a somewhat similar game plan as we saw with MSU, who was a solid d but as Scangarello said post game "we had the ability to go big on them". The interesting thing will be whether we can pass block well enough to take the shots down field that will be there. They will play the short routes to try to get to's so it really will fall on Levis' decision making on those. The levis int last season is the thing that flipped the lead toward the end of the game.

He is still walking in a boot for the bad toe. he ain't gonna have any called rush attempts beyond QB sneak on 3rd/4th & inches.
Even better no way their looking for him to run on first down.
All I know is if you're going to control the clock and keep them from running plays then you need to get four yards or more on first down ... Consistently.

Did you know last year we ran 99 plays and Tennessee ran 47?

Of course they averaged almost 10 yards a play but still? 99 to 47 is crazy.
Give me a hundred plays with Levis as quarterback and Rodriguez running against Tennessee and I think we'll win or damn close.

I don't really keep up with total plays called but a hundred seems like a lot. Like somebody knew how to control the ball ...you don't do that on accident. I think Tennessee fans should be worried about Kentucky on Saturday more than any of the other teams left on their schedule just because we got the right set up and most of all ... experience with them.

Last edited:

Didn’t he just get out of a boot? If this is your plan he won’t make it to halftime.

Didn’t he just get out of a boot? If this is your plan he won’t make it to halftime.
I'm not going to run him every time. But I'm going to try to catch you off guard with it. Especially early when your pretty good sackers are aggressive and coming. Living off the crowd. There are a few safe type quarterback running plays that you can call to get him sliding on the ground without being touched.
Also leaving Tennessee open to hit him and get a penalty. Maybe the reffs are working the under lol.

From what I've seen Tennessee comes after your ass and so you got to get them to chill out and back off a little bit.

Run it with Levis. He's got a hurt little toe he'll be all right. Levis is a tank. We've got to stop you all from making the playoffs. Full steam ahead with everything you got Levis!!

Last edited:
Reactions: drawing_dead
I've only watched maybe one full game thus far this season combined. But, here's what stuck with me about their defense:

1. Seems pretty high risk/high reward. When they blitz, they come with a bunch of folks. If the QB is able to get the ball out quick, some big plays are there for the taking (we saw this first-hand the last two offensive plays against them last year).
2. Very athletic and fast. Secondary is either put on an island too often or just are very good/disciplined in their assignments. Again, with a good plan and Levis getting the ball away quickly, there are big plays to be had. They also like to jump routes and go for the INT so Levis has to be precise or we could see several turnovers.
3. Seems like they don't disguise their blitzes very well. The time I've watched them it was pretty obvious presnap who was coming and from where. I hope Levis and the staff see it as clearly as I did.
4. Their offensive scheme does not give the D much chance to catch their breath. If we can put together some long SCORING drives, we can wear their D out. Can't get into a fast break shootout or have dumba$$ penalties or really bad TOs. Don't have to be perfect but we have to keep them on their heels, don't try to do too much with each play, control the ball and clock.
5. First 2-3 series are critical. If we match them or maybe stop them a couple of times, it will calm the crowd, not allow the D to play pass/blitz all game long, etc. If we're down 17 points early, it's over. Gotta stay close early and let their fast break offense start to slow down and we can wear 'em down in the end and win. A couple of big sacks and/or turnovers early would be awesome. They'll come out firing like they always do and try to score within 4 plays (Heupel can get impatient and try to go big too often, imo). Gotta withstand that early onslaught and then they'll have a game on their hands.
Is TN 129th in pass defense?

Yep . Their defense is designed to get off the field as quickly as possible. They hope it’s without the opponent scoring , but if it happens,no sweat cause they are supremely confident their offense will come right back with a score of their own. The LAST thing they want is their opponent having long sustained drives . They feel they just have to “break serve” a few times and the game is theirs.
FWIW , Van Hiles believes if we can limit them to 14 first quarter points we will be in very good shape. He also says Tennessee has too much speed to run wide zone blocking schemes.

Well, if they are going to blitz that much then the receivers better have figured out how to block on screen passes.

Their defense is almost like Todd Grantham defense. They send so many guys you can’t blame things on the o-line just to many guys to block. Probably going to have to go big and keep TEs in the block and maybe release off their block if not covered.

Slip Destin Wade in on the first play and run the wildcat. Keep Levis in so they won’t suspect anything.

Good post overall, although I would note the defensive strategy is the DC's, Tim Banks, who is very aggressive, although Heupel certainly approves of it.

One thing to note about the offense is that it does not always go fast; that typically depends on down and situation. What the offense will always do though, is get to the LOS fast so that if the defense tries to substitute the center can snap and get a 'too many players on the field' penalty against the defense. Saban got burned trying to do that in the 1st qtr. But doing that also gives Hooker plenty of time to read the defense. One thing I thought interesting was that OC Alex Golesh said that on 2nd downs against Bama UT ran the ball so Bama could not substitute personnel for 3rd downs.

Reactions: NewWorldKat
If Tennessee doesn’t hide the blitz well, then their front seven is strong as hell because they’re still getting sacks, TFLs and QB pressures at a crazy rate.

If Tennessee doesn’t hide the blitz well, then their front seven is strong as hell because they’re still getting sacks, TFLs and QB pressures at a crazy rate.
Like I said, when they blitz, they come with a lot of people. Almost always 1-2 guys unblocked unless the O keeps a back and TE in to block. If Levis doesn't get rid of the ball quickly and/or throws INTs, it's gonna be a long night.

In JH interview he said they need to do better than last year letting us get good yards on first down and get off the field better on third down. He said will be a game of limited possessions so whoever squanders the least will be huge. Little room to not score TD's in this game on the few possessions you will have.

Like I said, when they blitz, they come with a lot of people. Almost always 1-2 guys unblocked unless the O keeps a back and TE in to block. If Levis doesn't get rid of the ball quickly and/or throws INTs, it's gonna be a long night.
Hopefully we are smart & max protect.

Leave in 2 TE and a RB. Let's see Levis have time if the awful Knoxville corners can cover 2 out of Brown/Key/Robinson.

Whole post is dead on but specifically the last part.

Drop the delayed handoffs. Heavy dose of HB ISO and Power. Full speed downhill running with a pulling guard or lead back/ motioned TE picking up the first LBer.

The 3 yards and a cloud of dust run game is undervalued these days in favor for long developing stretch run plays looking for the cutback to pick up the same 3 yards.
1000% agree. Dont mind a draw here or there on pass sets as they can break some nice runs against agressive pass rushes, but otherwise love the quick hitters with a guy like Chris and against a team like UT that loves to blitz to cover a little bit of weakness up front it is the right strategy.

Also love the tweak Scangarello added with bringing CRod up to fullback against MSU on short yardage. Just drives me nuts to see almost every team nowadays walk the ball back 4 yards to a stand still RB on short yardage giving the Dline 1 to 2 steps of penetration before they even get started. When did that idea start? CRod is devastatingly hard to stop on under center short handoffs for short yardage. Helps your Oline too.

Even better no way their looking for him to run on first down.
All I know is if you're going to control the clock and keep them from running plays then you need to get four yards or more on first down ... Consistently.

Did you know last year we ran 99 plays and Tennessee ran 47?

Of course they averaged almost 10 yards a play but still? 99 to 47 is crazy.
Give me a hundred plays with Levis as quarterback and Rodriguez running against Tennessee and I think we'll win or damn close.

I don't really keep up with total plays called but a hundred seems like a lot. Like somebody knew how to control the ball ...you don't do that on accident. I think Tennessee fans should be worried about Kentucky on Saturday more than any of the other teams left on their schedule just because we got the right set up and most of all ... experience with them.
Those stats are exactly why you can't rely on ball control to win the game against UT. They are a quick strike offense. They want to score in as few plays as possible, getting defensive stops and forcing turnovers will make the difference. We had Levis and CRod in last years game and still lost. I will say that I'll take a game like last years if we can eliminate a couple of the mistakes that cost us that game. though I'd much rather have a game like the beatdown we put on them in Neyland the last time we were there.

Reactions: Lost In FL
Those stats are exactly why you can't rely on ball control to win the game against UT. They are a quick strike offense. They want to score in as few plays as possible, getting defensive stops and forcing turnovers will make the difference. We had Levis and CRod in last years game and still lost. I will say that I'll take a game like last years if we can eliminate a couple of the mistakes that cost us that game. though I'd much rather have a game like the beatdown we put on them in Neyland the last time we were there.
U mean Covid year ,the last year of pruitt when the team had given up and he was fired a few days afterward ?

Have seen us run it hundreds of times with eight defenders around the line of scrimmage. Are we good enough to change the play late when that happens? To stop CR they have to have most of their defenders up close. Seen it too many times. Remarkably, sometimes we get good running yards when eight defenders are ready for the run. But it seems to make it harder than it should be when we could just check out late and hit the quick out, slant or run around end instead of going into the teeth of the D.

Last edited:
Tennessee safety Jaylen McCollough cleared to play. Had been out since the LSU game but I think is a starter or at least a frequent contributor.

U mean Covid year ,the last year of pruitt when the team had given up and he was fired a few days afterward ?
No, we mean the game UT entered ranked 18th, having won eight of their prior nine games, and having led Georgia at the half between the hedges in their only loss the prior nine games.

Yeah, that one!

Last edited:
Reactions: drawing_dead
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT