ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Mashup- 4/26/15

JPFisher

Senior
Jul 24, 2013
WKY
For starters, I hate being that guy, but I am not a fan of the new layout on my Windows at all. The tablet and cell are different stories, but still....

Anyway. Enough with the moaning. Here's the new mashup. Not much has been going on, obviously, but I will try to start filling these summer slots with more opinion instead of just scrounging for a scrap of news... Kinda like during the regular season.

> Watched video of Gunnar Hoak and I must say, I am very impressed. Moderate arm strength, but the way he sees the field, avoids defenders, finds the open man, and can put the ball where it's supposed to be is very comforting. I must admit, I had second thoughts about him based on a few things I read from the board. I cannot understand where that came from. Aforementioned are the qualities we want in a QB and have been striving to build in both Towles and Barker. Gunnar can even run it if need be. I'm excited to see him in blue.

> Nebraska transfer Courtney Love is likely to get immediate playing time and I could not be more excited to see our linebackers this year. Last year, they were serviceable and started coming on late. If they build upon that and with the major infusion of talent we have, they could be the most improved position on the team. Almost as much as the returners, I look forward to our redshirts. Firios is supposed to be a smashmouth heavy hitter and I sure hope so. Our defense only saw a few heavy hits from the linebackers last year and the majority were from our secondary (thank you, Stamps and McClain for the niceties). I want a linebacker who gets in the running back's mind.

> I like the way our 2016 class looks, folks. We could be in for some nice additions and we haven't even seen the team perform in year three under Stoops. If the recruits are watching our results, they should definitely pay attention this season and the next few seasons. Will be fun...

> The Draft is less than a week away. I expect a couple of NFL teams to come away with sand and a few come away with some solid picks as always, but one solid pick I will enjoy watching is Dupree. I don't follow many Cats into the pros (BBall, Baseball, or FBall), but Dupree and Cobb will make Sundays much more fun for the next few seasons and especially Thanksgiving, when the only reprieve from the in-laws is watching some good old NFL football.

> Something that has been nagging me is wanting to see Horton on the field next year. If reports from practice are true, he may very well be the most improved player on the entire offense aside from QBs.

> Just a feeling I have from watching games from last season, I really think UK could get to a bowl. I'm not of the mindset that we will be dramatically better, because once our veteran depth wears down again and we rely on young talent more and more, we will become sporadic. However, this team definitely has the potential for 6-7 wins (total) and I can definitely see us becoming a team that can take advantage of those who don't take us seriously. Two wins to five wins. Keep up the trend, Stoops. Strive for eight. Hell, strive for the national championship if it gets us eight.

Question: Would you rather see UK win 7 with a bowl game or win 7 and lose the bowl game? I have a few friends who care a lot about the post-season... even more than the regular-season. Just wanted to see what the board thought.

That's all today, folks. Can't wait until August when these should really heat up. In the meantime, enjoy our spring weather and have a wonderful chilly Sunday. As always, Go Big Blue!

Reactions: BigBoyBlueMMA
Question: Would you rather see UK win 7 with a bowl game or win 7 and lose the bowl game? I have a few friends who care a lot about the post-season... even more than the regular-season. Just wanted to see what the board thought.

Bowl games ares just exhibition games. No one remembers who won them unless they are for national championships. Regular season games against SEC opponents and UofL are much more important and key wins over teams like Florida, Auburn, South Carolina or Missouri are not soon forgotten.

If you listened to the second hour of KSR on Friday when Stoops was on there were a lot of great talking points
- If you thought the RBs were good last year wait til this year. Boom and Horton have vastly improved their bodies
- WR depth and experience should take what was a weakness last year and make it a strength of the team
- Both QBs had a very good spring and can win games for us when called upon
- The Oline and Dline Stoops said are finally above average
- Specifically talked about the advantage the staff has created by being the first to offer so many kids. The enormous amount of work they put in to identify them early is paying off especially in Ohio
- Marrow was the coach that suggested moving Hyde to fullback
- Garrett Johnson is our best receiver right now. He is making some awesome plays in practice
- Timmons and TV will return punts
- Stoops mentioned being surprised at how well the offense has executed in the spring saying he expected more breakdowns in communication with the new offense and terminology
- Talked about recruiting battles with his brother. Says recruiting is very personal and not for the faint of heart. Says they both have a duty to their university to recruit the very best so he doesn't take it personal when Bob targets a guy that he has. Said he's split recruits 50/50 with Bob so far
- Talked about recruiting against Urban Meyer. Said they had some epic battles when he was at FSU and Meyer at Florida. Meyer is a ruthless recruiter and he knows what he's up against when they go head to head. It won't stop him from going after the best in Ohio
- He's very proud of Elam and the attitude he's had about improving his body
- Expects Lewis to have a very good year. Hard to describe how much he's improved since getting here
- Blue endzones when the new turf is installed. Said its the nicest turf on the market and the same stuff the last couple Super Bowls were played on

Last edited:
The Dline had the size and athleticism to be good Last year but technique was badly lacking. Sounded like those guys really hunkered down on improving technique and I expect a big difference in D line play.

For starters, I hate being that guy, but I am not a fan of the new layout on my Windows at all. The tablet and cell are different stories, but still....

Anyway. Enough with the moaning. Here's the new mashup. Not much has been going on, obviously, but I will try to start filling these summer slots with more opinion instead of just scrounging for a scrap of news... Kinda like during the regular season.

> Watched video of Gunnar Hoak and I must say, I am very impressed. Moderate arm strength, but the way he sees the field, avoids defenders, finds the open man, and can put the ball where it's supposed to be is very comforting. I must admit, I had second thoughts about him based on a few things I read from the board. I cannot understand where that came from. Aforementioned are the qualities we want in a QB and have been striving to build in both Towles and Barker. Gunnar can even run it if need be. I'm excited to see him in blue.

> Nebraska transfer Courtney Love is likely to get immediate playing time and I could not be more excited to see our linebackers this year. Last year, they were serviceable and started coming on late. If they build upon that and with the major infusion of talent we have, they could be the most improved position on the team. Almost as much as the returners, I look forward to our redshirts. Firios is supposed to be a smashmouth heavy hitter and I sure hope so. Our defense only saw a few heavy hits from the linebackers last year and the majority were from our secondary (thank you, Stamps and McClain for the niceties). I want a linebacker who gets in the running back's mind.

> I like the way our 2016 class looks, folks. We could be in for some nice additions and we haven't even seen the team perform in year three under Stoops. If the recruits are watching our results, they should definitely pay attention this season and the next few seasons. Will be fun...

> The Draft is less than a week away. I expect a couple of NFL teams to come away with sand and a few come away with some solid picks as always, but one solid pick I will enjoy watching is Dupree. I don't follow many Cats into the pros (BBall, Baseball, or FBall), but Dupree and Cobb will make Sundays much more fun for the next few seasons and especially Thanksgiving, when the only reprieve from the in-laws is watching some good old NFL football.

> Something that has been nagging me is wanting to see Horton on the field next year. If reports from practice are true, he may very well be the most improved player on the entire offense aside from QBs.

> Just a feeling I have from watching games from last season, I really think UK could get to a bowl. I'm not of the mindset that we will be dramatically better, because once our veteran depth wears down again and we rely on young talent more and more, we will become sporadic. However, this team definitely has the potential for 6-7 wins (total) and I can definitely see us becoming a team that can take advantage of those who don't take us seriously. Two wins to five wins. Keep up the trend, Stoops. Strive for eight. Hell, strive for the national championship if it gets us eight.

That's all today, folks. Can't wait until August when these should really heat up. In the meantime, enjoy our spring weather and have a wonderful chilly Sunday. As always, Go Big Blue!

Nice job, should open up some good discussions.

I'm not a big fan of the changes either so far, but like them better as I get used to them, and I think they probably have some advantages that I'm not smart enough to take advantage of yet.

Agree about Gunnar, and I think I saw him throw a few passes over 50 yards in his highlight films, not very often you have time to throw it farther and even though highlight films are deceiving his completion rate sounds very good. And he should improve all of that hopefully.

I don't know if the incompetent NCAA will give UK (and more importantly Love) a break here or not, but the abysmal way they handled Jarmon's case doesn't make me think they will go out of their way to help UK, but then in his case it hurt UK a lot more than it did him. He got a good draft position in the supplemental draft and played for money earlier.

I like our 16 class a lot also, and trust our coaches judgement (already proven to me) but I would like to see some of those awesome OL prospects talked about earliere join the two four stars we already have. But I think we already have a great nucleus there with our young players, several of them underrated, IMO. I agree that Stoops redshirting so much of our young talent is going to pay big dividends this year, not just all the OL and DL that needed it but four of our ten four stars plus our two WRs due to injuries.

Watched one projection where Bud was the eighth pick, entirely possible and deserved IMO. The impressive part of that to me is he would be be SECOND player from the SEC picked in the draft, hope it happens. I'm not a fan of the money game, actually quit watching it for quite a while, but I do try to catch Cobb playing if it is convenient and was watching Denver a lot before they traded our man. Tre and Tamme still make them interesting, and don't forget the tremendous job Warford is doing, although I am not into watching the OL like a lot of the true fans are. Hopefully Dupree will be a lot of fun to watch and I will have to add him to the list.

I think our RBs will be much improved this year, Boom especially, and sounds like JoJo has got back some of his MoJo. If Horton does improve as much as reported he will have a great year also. I am also very excited about King, certainly a lot of variety in our backfield. And ALL of them should look better with an improved offense around them.

And I think we will be improved at every position except for a couple of draft prospects, and won't be hurting there. i really expect a bowl game this year, getting one and which one could depend on getting the breaks and injuries-----and we should be due there. I would much prefer seven wins in the season if it included wins over Florida and the two TUs (Thug U and Transfer U). A bowl game might be more watched but if we got those three wins we would probably be playing in a very tough bowl anyway and a loss wouldn't be a disgrace.

Really looking forward to our D improving and seeing what our new OC has up his sleeve.

Hoak's coach said he was a football type junky as far as working, learning, studying and getting better and better. Skill, focus, dedication and determination, no wonder Stoops really likes him.

the reason some are worried about hoak is because of his ranking. deweaver started varsity his freshman year of hs so he has had a lot of hype around him for a while... thus the 4* rating. deweaver is rated higher so many would prefer him even though hoak is a much better fit and has more upside than deweaver. hoaks measurables alone have improved enough the last 12 months to probably warrant a move up the rankings by at least a few spot. from 6'2" 180# to 6'4" 200#. thats getting prototypical size ballpark now.... and he's just starting his senior year.

The Dline had the size and athleticism to be good Last year but technique was badly lacking. Sounded like those guys really hunkered down on improving technique and I expect a big difference in D line play.
don't know how you can think our d-line will be great when we have below average DEs in the SEC. Z and Dupree will not be adequately replaced at all. It's a glaring weakness for this team.

don't know how you can think our d-line will be great when we have below average DEs in the SEC. Z and Dupree will not be adequately replaced at all. It's a glaring weakness for this team.

We may not line up in a 4-3 at all this season. The coaches are talking like the transition to the 3-4 is one that will be completed this year and something they plan to stick with almost completely. The need for awesome DEs is lessened by playing the 3-4. Containment and QB rushing is a responsibility that's shifted to the linebackers in the 3-4. I also think you are severely underestimating Huguenin and Ware. I'm not as worried as you are

Reactions: hmt5000

Ware, Hatcher, Huguenin, Bell, Kengera... I have faith in our ends and don't think the drop-off will be as severe as some thought. Might even be an improvement. Reason being that coaches will not have Bud and Z to plan around and take out of the play. You could be an NFL DE, but that doesn't mean anything if you're always taken out of the game before it starts.

our 2 nose guards are gonna play in the nfl. miggins was projected as a starter if he'd gone to msu and he's gonna be 2nd string according some in the know. meant, huguenin, cj johnson, middleton, dubose.... that's the most quality d-line i can remember at UK. outside myron pryor, corey peters, and jeremy jarmon, i dont think anyone on our team the last 10 years would crack the 2 deep on the d-line.

the move to 3-4 hurt Z. not his natural position to be a 3-4 end. bud is kinda gonna be replaced by committee but that position is olb'er now anyway so not really considered d-line.

Reactions: JPFisher
Ware, Hatcher, Huguenin, Bell, Kengera... I have faith in our ends and don't think the drop-off will be as severe as some thought. Might even be an improvement. Reason being that coaches will not have Bud and Z to plan around and take out of the play. You could be an NFL DE, but that doesn't mean anything if you're always taken out of the game before it starts.

There's major question marks about this group. Ware has yet to play a down of SEC football, Hatcher for all the hype has actually accomplished little in 2 years, Hugenin has been nothing more than a serviceable backup in his career, Bell, although coming out of HS with nice offers showed little in JUCO which was shown by UK being his only offer, Daniel has great potential but is a true freshman. Hope you're right but these guys will have to play at a level they've not gotten close to for UK to win SEC games.

Ware and Hatcher are outside linebackers in our 3-4 defense. I don't think those two will gave their hand on the ground during obvious running plays.

THANKS!!!!! J P Fisher!!!!! Awesome job again

Watched video of Gunnar Hoak and I must say, I am very impressed. Moderate arm strength, but the way he sees the field, avoids defenders, finds the open man, and can put the ball where it's supposed to be is very comforting. I must admit, I had second thoughts about him based on a few things I read from the board. I cannot understand where that came from. Aforementioned are the qualities we want in a QB and have been striving to build in both Towles and Barker. Gunnar can even run it if need be. I'm excited to see him in blue. I love this kind of QB for our Offense - designed for accuracy and reading of D more than Arm Strength

Nebraska transfer Courtney Love is likely to get immediate playing time and I could not be more excited to see our linebackers this year. Last year, they were serviceable and started coming on late. If they build upon that and with the major infusion of talent we have, they could be the most improved position on the team. Almost as much as the returners, I look forward to our redshirts. Firios is supposed to be a smashmouth heavy hitter and I sure hope so. Our defense only saw a few heavy hits from the linebackers last year and the majority were from our secondary (thank you, Stamps and McClain for the niceties). I want a linebacker who gets in the running back's mind. I love the fact that we can actually count on them more than try to defend "away" from them...they become a better unit because of the increased talent and experience of the DL which allows Firios and Forrest and the rest to really play without thinking more - and they are athletically made for making plays!

Question: Would you rather see UK win 7 with a bowl game or win 7 and lose the bowl game? I have a few friends who care a lot about the post-season... even more than the regular-season. Just wanted to see what the board thought. too many tiers of possibles for a either or answer for me....1st IF we win 7 and lose the bowl - I am only okay with it if we are underdogs in that bowl - if we are UD then getting there AND the xtra practices make it OK....BUT if we lost as a FAV it it could cost a couple of recruits and that would sting a little. Either way though - our team gets Xtra practice time and that is EXPONENTIALLY more important than winning or losing the bowl IMHO.....

Ware and Hatcher are outside linebackers in our 3-4 defense. I don't think those two will gave their hand on the ground during obvious running plays.

Maybe not. I still like the prospect of Hatcher playing as a combo DE/OLB. Also, Bud's role was largely mixed as well. Both Hatcher and Ware look to take those lost minutes from Bud's departure. I'd be shocked if they stayed as OLB's regardless of the type of down.

There's major question marks about this group. Ware has yet to play a down of SEC football, Hatcher for all the hype has actually accomplished little in 2 years, Hugenin has been nothing more than a serviceable backup in his career, Bell, although coming out of HS with nice offers showed little in JUCO which was shown by UK being his only offer, Daniel has great potential but is a true freshman. Hope you're right but these guys will have to play at a level they've not gotten close to for UK to win SEC games.

This is a realistic post. Bud and Z will not be adequately replaced this season from what I'm seeing. Stoops needs 2 more years of recruiting to shore up this defense. LB spots are still thin with Freshmen providing our only depth. This is how bad Joker let this program slide. I feel good about our depth at DT spots.

Some of you may be seriously underestimating how much better the run defense should be this year versus last, and how much better the overall defense should be because of that. The only two DTs we had going into last year who had ever played an SEC down were Coleman and Douglas, who both came in to UK at about 250 or so and were not guys who carried their weight that well once they bulked up. Coleman barely played last year even with his experience. The only really big, physical guy who could play more than a few snaps in a row was Lewis, as Elam was simply too big to even get in a stance properly for long.

As stated above, Z played out of position for his size. He was only at 263 for the combine and probably played in the mid 250s last year at what was essentially a DT spot. Douglas played at probably about 280 by October at the other 3-4 end [really a DT] spot.

This year though, with Elam getting into shape and Hyde being healthy, UK will have 3 massive bodies at the NT spot, and with Johnson, Middleton and Miggins being around 300 by fall and Meant and Dubose probably at 310 or better UK will simply have much more size and depth in the tackle box on defense.

Combine that with much more depth at LB and having Stamps, McWilson, McClain, West and Edwards at safety and , as Stoops has said this spring, we should be much better up the middle on defense.

And anyone who knows anything at all about football knows that if you can't stop the middle run, you can't do anything else as well as you want to, period.

Z is a heckuva player and Bud is a freak, but the D will be so much better it will be like night and day.

^ Nice assessment. I would add the majority of the two deep on defense will be Juniors and Seniors which is nearly always a good thing.

Shoe's nailed it, and I would add Randolph, McClain and Tucker will help a lot at corner too. Hytchye is still a mystery to me but he's another one that could contribute.

This defense could be an upper tier SEC unit this year.

Most folks recognize that the CB's are a real weakness and I would agree, but the pass rush HAS to improve or our secondary will continue to get burned. Last years defense put little pressure on opposing quarterbacks particularly late in the game or on third down passing situations. This defense must get more 3rd down stops this year. If that happens then I'll say there's been improvement.

And don't forget miggins will be over 280 this fall.... and he's quick.

I'm really hoping UK's run defense improves. I think all the makings are there for some real progress, most noteable, more depth at all positions. If UK can keep SEC opponents from running at will, I think UK will make the all important leap into bowl eligibility.

Ummmm... Who said that Courtney Love being eligible this year is likely? Last news that I was told is that it isn't likely based on a new rule from the NCAA that is keeping a player who transfered to Tulsa from being ineligible.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/03/gus_malzahn_disappointed_in_kh.html

This article from last month highlights the new rule and the Tulsa player affected. UK coaches are aware of this and aren't expecting Courtney Love to be available this season but the NCAA will add an extra year to him which probably serves UK better.

Ummmm... Who said that Courtney Love being eligible this year is likely? Last news that I was told is that it isn't likely based on a new rule from the NCAA that is keeping a player who transfered to Tulsa from being ineligible.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/03/gus_malzahn_disappointed_in_kh.html

This article from last month highlights the new rule and the Tulsa player affected. UK coaches are aware of this and aren't expecting Courtney Love to be available this season but the NCAA will add an extra year to him which probably serves UK better.

That is what I have been saying.

Seems like it would be a simple question to pose to the staff from the media.

i think it wise to plan on going into the season w/o him and if he is cleared... yea!!!

I'm hopeful because the coaches and Love are hopeful. How many times has the staff been right?

JP,
coaches aren't hopefully. Tulsa is going through the appeals process to get there player eligible. What UK's compliance office decided to do is to wait and see what comes of that situation, provided is 100% exactly the same as Courtney Love's situation. If the NCAA overturns there own rule on that case then UK will request the same be done with Courtney Love. Reason why they are handling it this way is because Tulsa is a lot further along in the process than UK is, Courtney Love hasn't been turned down yet, thus no appeal. But they aren't hopeful that it'll happen, NCAA doesn't change there minds often.

When was there anything saying the coaches weren't hopeful? The last thing I read on it about a week ago is that both parties were very optimistic. Is there a link or a presser I could look up to check this out? I'm genuinely confused.

Nope no presser that I'm aware of, I'm going off of my connections at UK honestly. It wasn't from the coaches, so they might be optimistic, but I know that Rachel Baker and Sandy Bell aren't optimistic. That's how I knew about the article from that I shared with you guys. Its all a wait and see process. They said that Tulsa is further along in the process and since Tulsa is appealing the decision, they are going to wait and see what the NCAA does in that matter. If the NCAA changes there mind (which isn't often) then they will ask for the same treatment for Courtney Love. So those in compliance not being optimistic is coming from the fact that the NCAA doesn't change there minds often. But its very possible that the NCAA could.
So the way we should follow it is by seeing what happens with the Tulsa situation. If the NCAA overturns their ruling then Courtney Love will play this year, if the NCAA upholds their ruling then Courtney Love will sit.

Marrow has said a few times that he expects both Love and Hart to go through and play this yr.

Plenty of conflicting views from different people within the program from the sounds of it. Interesting.

IMO I think the NCAA will view the distance involved between UK and his folks as evidence that his motivations were probably more towards wanting out at Nebraska and wanting in at UK, rather than a family situation, since there are many other D1 schools closer he could have transferred to. I hope I'm wrong on this.

IMO I think the NCAA will view the distance involved between UK and his folks as evidence that his motivations were probably more towards wanting out at Nebraska and wanting in at UK, rather than a family situation, since there are many other D1 schools closer he could have transferred to. I hope I'm wrong on this.

Maybe. But a few years ago there was a basketball player from Tn named Smith who signed with Iowa out of HS. His father became sick and Smith decided he needed to be "closer" to him so he transferred under the hardship rule to UT and was immediately eligible to compete despite having probably 8-10 D1 schools closer to his home. Unfortunately the father eventually died. Smith, for his part, turned out to be a very ordinary player.

Using that standard Love would be immediately eligible to play but it's too much to expect a consistent ruling from the NCAA.

If the case actually gets to the appeal process that point could factor into the decision. However, the pending new regulation could trump the current process. I don't recall the situation schwump mentions but, as discussed in the "Courtney Love" thread, I do know a recent UT transfer to UofL who was denied immediate eligibility on a similar request (his hometown was just outside of St. Louis). It seems like it would be a VERY slippery slope for the Appeals Committee to attempt to factor in exactly how "dire" are the circumstances when making such a decision.

In Love's case the only "damage" he suffers under the current policy is the loss of 1 year of eligibility. And this situation is addressed by the pending legislation. He has transferred to UK, is in closer proximity to his ailing relatives and is presumably under scholarship. The new proposed new policy would award a 6th year to complete eligibility. From the NCAA's perspective, that would mitigate the "impact" of the transfer residency requirement for a legitimate transfer situation. However, it would still keep that requirement in place to avoid the chaos of "unrestricted" transfers. It actually sounds like a good way to address the situation. JMO.

Peace

Last edited:
All kinds of different situations here. In Love's case, it could be a blessing to spread his career out another year, might make him more likely to have a paid career in football, even if not in the NFL. But it could be very costly because if he doesn't make it it costs him a years salary and experience in his real career. I'm not sure that he is (or isn't) wanting to try for the NFL, our highest rated and best playing OL this century up until Warford didn't even enter the draft, although I think he could have had some chance of catching on.somewhere he didn't even enter the draft.

Now our other and probably much bigger loser in the big money game can't even blame the NCAA for losing a year or TWO of playing, however he can blame it on the team that was so excited he chose them, the University of Kentucky.

Of course in that case Fuzz said it could turn out to be a blessing for him----and he is right, but then I'm not counting on winning the next lottery I enter-----and it would be my first, by the way, but I would guess the odds of the two are about the same

If the case actually gets to the appeal process that point could factor into the decision. However, the pending new regulation could trump the current process. I don't recall the situation schwump mentions but, as discussed in the "Courtney Love" thread, I do know a recent UT transfer to UofL who was denied immediate eligibility on a similar request (his hometown was just outside of St. Louis). It seems like it would be a VERY slippery slope for the Appeals Committee to attempt to factor in exactly how "dire" are the circumstances when making such a decision.

In Love's case the only "damage" he suffers under the current policy is the loss of 1 year of eligibility. And this situation is addressed by the pending legislation. He has transferred to UK, is in closer proximity to his ailing relatives and is presumably under scholarship. The new proposed new policy would award a 6th year to complete eligibility. From the NCAA's perspective, that would mitigate the "impact" of the transfer residency requirement for a legitimate transfer situation. However, it would still keep that requirement in place to avoid the chaos of "unrestricted" transfers. It actually sounds like a good way to address the situation. JMO.

Peace

WildCard, the proposed new policy you are talking about is the current rule now. The mix up is that coaches thought this didn't take effect until Fall semester 2015, but the NCAA made it effective for any players transferring for this semester, Spring 2015 which would include Courtney Love. So it was a difference in interpretation. That's how Tulsa is trying to win the appeal, if they win the appeal then the guy at Tulsa plays and so does Courtney Love.
Just my personal belief, but I think if enough coaches come forward saying that they interpreted the new rule to come into effect in Fall semester 2015 then the NCAA will push it back until then and Courtney Love will be able to play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT