ADVERTISEMENT

Summer of 1969

UK82

All-American
Feb 27, 2015
We're coming up on the 54th anniversary of Woodstock. One hell of a time in America. Within 6 weeks here is what happened:

Chappaquiddick
First man on the moon
Manson murders
Woodstock
Hurricane Camille

My favorite Woodstock moment? Ten Years After.

A lot of great songs at Woodstock but this was top 2-3. Great song and performance.

Think the drummer was really young - maybe 17-18. Ended up being a great studio musician. Love that song.

Reactions: UK82
1jrgyf.jpg

Reactions: J_Dee
Didn't live through it, but something I always found interesting was how the Manson murders were looked at by many as this sort of "end" to the free spirit living of the 60s. I guess it really changed the mindset of America going forward.

Janis performing at Monterey Pop in '67 is better than anything that happened at Woodstock. I'll die on that musical hill.

I've seen 3 bands that played Woodstock. CSN&Y, The Who and the Grateful Dead.
Very cool ..... !!

I have seen:
The Who
Santana
Canned Heat
Mountain
Richie Havens
Joan Baez
Joe Cocker
Melanie

CSNY, but separately as CSN and NY solo

From Jefferson Airplane: I have seen Marty Balin and Paul Kantner together in Jefferson Starship (Kantner rendition) and Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady together in Hot Tuna. Also, Jorma solo.

Last edited:
CSNY, but separately as CSN and NY solo
When I saw them together it actually wasn't all that long ago comparatively. It was at Conseco Fieldhouse (wherever the Pacers play) and it was more or less that. They were on stage together and took turn singing and whenever C, S or N would sing it was a CSNY song. When it was Neil's turn it was always a solo song. I gave up on hearing Ohio half way through. Pretty big ego.

Comics published in June, 1969

Comics published in July, 1969

Comics published in August, 1969

A lot of characters were going through major changes at this time, notable Batman, and, in a few months, Superman. The Bronze Age -- the era I grew up reading -- started in 1970.

Some highlights include new costumes for Green Arrow and Wonder Girl, as well as the first appearances of the Falcon, Vampirella, Sauron, the Prowler, the Grandmaster, and the Squadron Sinister (notably Nighthawk). Strange Tales / Dr. Strange was cancelled, and Tower of Shadows debuted. And both Marvel and DC increased their book prices during the summer of '69, from 12 cents to 15, and Zap Comix was limited or outright banned in a lot of places due to the Print Mint and Robert Crumb.

a1df6a2f5909c111b43b73cd71f4dad1.jpg
61uBOx70DSL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
X-Men-V1-60.jpg
zap4-wraparound.jpg

We're coming up on the 54th anniversary of Woodstock. One hell of a time in America. Within 6 weeks here is what happened:

Chappaquiddick
First man on the moon
Manson murders
Woodstock
Hurricane Camille

My favorite Woodstock moment? Ten Years After.
Re first man on moon. I missed it being stationed in Turkey. There was a World's Fair of sorts going on in Izmir Turkey in late 69 or early 70, don't recall exactly when. The United States exhibit was an outdoor theater featuring moon landing film. That's where I first saw anything on it. Not sure that was a good idea. There was a major flu epidemic in the mountain villages of Turkey and lots of people died. Some of the Turks thought we stirred up germs with the landing that fell to earth on them and caused the deaths. There's probably some folks there that still blame us.

The King returned to live performing and again showed he could be the man. Greatest entertainer of the 20th century.

According to Wikipedia, Jack Black, Peter Dinklage, Matthew Perry, Donnie Wahlberg, Dana White, Triple H, Ice Cube, Jennifer Lopez, Ed Norton, Max Cavalera, MC Ren, Christian Slater, Nate Dogg, Lucero, John Fetterman, and Christian Laettner were all born in the summer of '69.

Never have met one person who attended Woodstock.

Was starting high school and had no knowledge of it.

Would have liked to get a first hand account.

Never have met one person who attended Woodstock.

Was starting high school and had no knowledge of it.

Would have liked to get a first hand account.
I was only in 4th grade so obviously I wasn't there but a neighbor took his girlfriend and a few of his buddies. They left shortly after the storm. Said it was miserable.

Reactions: J_Dee
Saw only a couple of acts from Woodstock -- Blood, Sweat & Tears at UK in 1971 or 2, and CSN&Y and The Band in Cleveland a few years later. However entertaining the performances would have been at Woodstock, I can't imagine sitting in that mud and crap for days. I saw a lot of concerts back in the day, but only in a stadium/arena/club setting.

Reactions: parrott
Saw only a couple of acts from Woodstock -- Blood, Sweat & Tears at UK in 1971 or 2, and CSN&Y and The Band in Cleveland a few years later. However entertaining the performances would have been at Woodstock, I can't imagine sitting in that mud and crap for days. I saw a lot of concerts back in the day, but only in a stadium/arena/club setting.
The only Woodstock acts I've seen are CSN (no Y) and Johnny Winter. Both in the friendly confines of indoor arenas. 1977ish.

According to Wikipedia, Jack Black, Peter Dinklage, Matthew Perry, Donnie Wahlberg, Dana White, Triple H, Ice Cube, Jennifer Lopez, Ed Norton, Max Cavalera, MC Ren, Christian Slater, Nate Dogg, Lucero, John Fetterman, and Christian Laettner were all born in the summer of '69.
Why mention Laettner?

Why mention Laettner?

Because he was there.

Some would say that it's silly to hold a grudge over something that he did 30 years ago, when he just was a stupid kid, playing for an ass of a coach.

I'm not one of them. He can **** right off. Never forget.

051010LAETTNER-STEPS-ON-TI1.png

Reactions: BMoore2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT