ADVERTISEMENT

Style of Play

kywildcats8

Freshman
Oct 1, 2019
With our bench supposedly being a strong point this year, I wonder why we don't press a lot more, if not the whole game and generally speed up the game for 40 minutes. Maybe try to minimize other peoples, bigger stronger inside big guys who push our guys around but would get tired quicker. I think we could put combinations on the floor all the time who could definitely speed up the game all the time. Use our roster/bench to our advantage and let guys play until they get tired and then sub for them and just keep it going. Kind of like what Pitino did.

Reactions: sefleming
With our bench supposedly being a strong point this year, I wonder why we don't press a lot more, if not the whole game and generally speed up the game for 40 minutes. Maybe try to minimize other peoples, bigger stronger inside big guys who push our guys around but would get tired quicker. I think we could put combinations on the floor all the time who could definitely speed up the game all the time. Use our roster/bench to our advantage and let guys play until they get tired and then sub for them and just keep it going. Kind of like what Pitino did.
I think pressing some would help to, I also think a zone sometime would help also, but Cal hardly ever presses for long and zones even less. We don't block out well or draw charges either. Doing these things certainly can help sometimes when other things are not working. We haven't been able to stop out of bounds plays for years, even with the best talent available. Lots of times other teams we play are more fundamentally sound than we are, and it shows, so I guess we will have to win or lose with what we are doing because it doesn't look like it's going to change.

Reactions: rivercatinfl
I’ve about given up hope that this talented team can overcome their coaches deficiencies.
I saw Cal on tv last night with Tom Leach saying after watching the film on the SC game he should’ve posted Mitchell a hundred times. That and have to get more lobs for the big men. So if you can’t see where this is going you haven’t been watching the last several years.
Dane Bradshaw said it best the other night when he said “this KY team has a championship offense and a round of 32 defense.” But Cal always let the opponent dictate how the game is going to be played. I’m just fed up with him.

It takes a lot of time and practice to run an effective press. Matchup zone is hard to learn/teach as well. It doesn't appear as though standard, easy to learn forms of defense are being taught so that may be too much to ask.

Lazy Coach = Lazy defense/Lazy options/Lazy ability to adjust.

These are not options because someone is too lazy to pursue them and too lazy to deal with too many options. Can't overcomplicate the game for a "young" team because it is too complicated for the coach.

Keep trying to cram a square peg into a round hole while opponents score time and again inbounding under their basket and driving straight to the basket.

Our defensive options are VERY limited because the coach is VERY limited.

Simple put, he doesnt know how to teach a press or a zone defense or maybe his pride won't let him play zone because that would bring into question his man defense coaching ability

Reactions: struggler
Same with zone. He says you give up too many offensive rebounds playing a zone. I don’t see how this years team could be much worse at that.
Yeah , we don’t give up many offense rebounds on those straight line drives playing man to man .Cause there aren’t any, lol .

• Haha
Reactions: struggler and ck-2
It takes a lot of time and practice to run an effective press. Matchup zone is hard to learn/teach as well. It doesn't appear as though standard, easy to learn forms of defense are being taught so that may be too much to ask.
Pitino never had a problem and he is revitalizing St Johns with the same style yet with less talented players. I think Welch was probably a great addition to the staff as he comes off as a knowledgeable and teacher of the game. CCC not so much!!!!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT