ADVERTISEMENT

Stupid baseball rule question

Glenn's take

All-American
May 20, 2012
I understand that this is a George Brett pine tar game type of thing but what exactly are the rules for base coaches being in contact with a runner? My understanding of it was that they were never able to have any contact at all with a base runner while the play was live. My point is that on every single home run hit over the fence they always shake the base coaches hand. That is technically contact with a runner while the ball is live because the run doesn't count until he touches all 4 bases. If he broke his leg touching second base and couldn't get up they couldn't pick him up and carry him around. The other team could but nobody on that team. Like I said, extremely George Brettish and would probably be overturned on protest like that was but isn't it technically against the rules?

It is indeed against the rules for a base coach to make contact with a baserunner during a live ball situation, as if to push him or to grab him to help the baserunner. In the situation of an "over the fence" homerun, the base coach isn't helping the baserunner. It's one of those "wink wink" suspension of the rules in that case. I guess given your scenario of the broken leg at second, the baserunner would have to either crawl around the bases or crawl to the nearest base and stay there.

Goose Gossage approves this thread.
The funniest thing about that was that when they resumed the game later in the season it was a different umpiring crew. Billy Martin went out and appealed every base as to whether Bett touched it or not and they pulled out a notarized legal document right there on the field signed by all of the original crew saying he touched them all. Truly funny.

It is indeed against the rules for a base coach to make contact with a baserunner during a live ball situation, as if to push him or to grab him to help the baserunner. In the situation of an "over the fence" homerun, the base coach isn't helping the baserunner. It's one of those "wink wink" suspension of the rules in that case. I guess given your scenario of the broken leg at second, the baserunner would have to either crawl around the bases or crawl to the nearest base and stay there.
The scenario of the getting all the way around came from a girls softball game a few years ago. Some girl hit one over the fence to win the game but blew out her ACL rounding first. The other teams players picked her up and carried her around the bases. I do wonder what happens if he can't get back to a base.

ORB 7.09 "It is interference by a batter or runner when-

(h) in the judgment of the umpire, the base coach at third base, or first base, by touching or holding the runner, physically assists him in returning to or leaving third base, first base.

PENALTY FOR INTERFERENCE: the runner is out and the ball is dead. "

Congratulating the batter/runner is not assisting him so it is not interference nor a penalty.

I have a copy of the Official Rules of Baseball as a pdf file on my phone. #baseballgeek #rulesnerd

ORB 7.09 "It is interference by a batter or runner when-

(h) in the judgment of the umpire, the base coach at third base, or first base, by touching or holding the runner, physically assists him in returning to or leaving third base, first base.

PENALTY FOR INTERFERENCE: the runner is out and the ball is dead. "

Congratulating the batter/runner is not assisting him so it is not interference nor a penalty.

I have a copy of the Official Rules of Baseball as a pdf file on my phone. #baseballgeek #rulesnerd
That makes sense. Thanks. I always thought it was touching and not assisting.

The scenario of the getting all the way around came from a girls softball game a few years ago. Some girl hit one over the fence to win the game but blew out her ACL rounding first. The other teams players picked her up and carried her around the bases. I do wonder what happens if he can't get back to a base.
As the rules state, it's the judgment of the umpires as to whether the action "assisted" the runner. Clearly that would be the case, but I'm assuming the ump would just let it happen without penalty. It would be an asshole coach from the opposing side who would run out and appeal the ruling, given the situation.

As the rules state, it's the judgment of the umpires as to whether the action "assisted" the runner. Clearly that would be the case, but I'm assuming the ump would just let it happen without penalty. It would be an asshole coach from the opposing side who would run out and appeal the ruling, given the situation.

The rules coaches can't assist. Says nothing about other teams players.

Although I actually saw a mother in a Cal Ripken game yell at the ump that a kid who just hit a home run was out because the catcher slapped hands with him. And the catcher was her son.

Reactions: Desperado_1955
What's funny is that the baseball rules book was thrown on the fire in 1983 when known Anti-Yankee American League President Lee MacPhail heard a protest upheld and reversed the decision on the field and made George Brett's homerun count,

Screw the rules if it favors a Yankee argument.

The rule is stupid. But it's a rule. Yankees win that game. F George Brett and his double-tapered shit.

MLB was never the same again.

Reactions: funKYcat75
ADVERTISEMENT